Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

air stones in planted tanks Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

air stones in planted tanks Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

air stones in planted tanks

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bwompus
V.I.P Member
Bwompus

Male Number of posts : 541
Job/hobbies : ZOMBIES!!, Horror movies, aquariums, fishing, drag racing, 4 wheeling, camping, etc etc
Humor : lots
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2010-02-08

air stones in planted tanks Empty
PostSubject: air stones in planted tanks   air stones in planted tanks EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 8:52 pm

I have been reading about it and haven't really gotten a clear cut answer. Or maybe I have and I'm to slow to see it..lol

The 36 gallon I have is 22 inches tall. I have two filters circulating around 350 gallons per hour, and have around 7 small to medium sized plants.
My question is, do I need an airstone for my BN at the bottom? Or do you think that i get enough surface agitation from the two filters? I've read too much oxygen will damage the plants but too little will..ya know..kill muh feesh. All the fish seem happy and healthy. They all hang out at all areas of the tank, from the bottom to the top. The BNs do work their way up the glass from time to time. I just chalk this up to exploration.
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: air stones in planted tanks   air stones in planted tanks EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 9:38 pm

What sort are the "2" filters, internal powerheads? most internals nowadays come with an option to plumb an airline onto it to blow a lot more through the water column.
This is how my 3ftr is setup: 1x 800ltr p/h powerhead plumbed up with the extra air line+ an air pump powering 2
corner sponges ( which aggitate the surface), so with the steady air stream flowing through the middle of the tank + corner sponges- works good for me , I'll also add there is no "air stones" in the tank.
cheers J
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

Male Number of posts : 1072
Job/hobbies : welder fish breeding drinking
Humor : mad as an hatter
Thank You Points : 16
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: air stones in planted tanks   air stones in planted tanks EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 9:58 pm

hi... sounds like theirs plenty ov turn over to me with 350 gallons per hour bristlenose have the capability of obtaining oxygen through their modified stomach. This allows them to survive in conditions with low oxygen levels.. so they dont need the air stones mate. as for them climbing the tank their just feeding and exploring like you said..
Back to top Go down
Bwompus
V.I.P Member
Bwompus

Job/hobbies : ZOMBIES!!, Horror movies, aquariums, fishing, drag racing, 4 wheeling, camping, etc etc

PostSubject: Re: air stones in planted tanks   air stones in planted tanks EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:31 pm

Kuro - They hang over the back. I'll upgrade once money allows.

Deano - Thanks. Didn't even bother to shop around for any.

Everyone have a great day!!
Back to top Go down
MarkOrm
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
MarkOrm

Male Number of posts : 153
Job/hobbies : Fish, walking, animals, photography.
Humor : Bill Hicks.
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2010-02-24

PostSubject: Re: air stones in planted tanks   air stones in planted tanks EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 8:23 pm

I've always used a large horizontal air stone in my tanks which are always heavily planted. I think people worry too much about too much oxygen etc for the plants - mine do fine. Fish poo, flourish and 7 hours of light a day do the trick Smile

One thing I've found is that the agitation provided by the airstone helps keep various bits of muck from accumulating in the corners and crevices - the extra movement means that a lot of the mulm gets sucked up by the filter if that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: air stones in planted tanks   air stones in planted tanks EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 10:23 pm

Ah the old "hang of the back filter" - never had any experience with these, they use a spray bar system- correct?
If that's the case the only airation they provide is agitating the surface so an air stone could be of benefit.
cheers J
Back to top Go down
Bwompus
V.I.P Member
Bwompus

PostSubject: Re: air stones in planted tanks   air stones in planted tanks EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 6:11 pm

I bought an airstone and put it into the tank. Its been roughly two weeks now and the fish seem to love it. Swimming through it and such. Plants seem to be doing fine also. Lol...visits to the LFS are starting to remind me of buying car parts. You walk out of each store at least $50.00 poorer each time.
Back to top Go down
816johnv
V.I.P Member
816johnv

Male Number of posts : 700
Job/hobbies : Breeding Plecs, Football and most other sports
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: air stones in planted tanks   air stones in planted tanks EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 9:02 pm

i have Air stones and a few plants in all my tanks Smile my corys like to swim in the bubbles lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: air stones in planted tanks   air stones in planted tanks Empty

Back to top Go down

air stones in planted tanks
Page 1 of 1