Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

heavy losses Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

heavy losses Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

heavy losses

Go down 
+7
Angi-N-Wayne
Kurosaki J
Curby
MarkOrm
Jagtazman
hopkins182
deano
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

Male Number of posts : 1072
Job/hobbies : welder fish breeding drinking
Humor : mad as an hatter
Thank You Points : 16
Registration date : 2009-07-26

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 9:54 am

im having a few problems with one of my tanks. lost 6 l100 a super red and 2 l144 in the last 2 days only thing i can put it down to is a water change i did thursday as every thing was ok up untill then so ive been doing small water changes with water from my other tanks and it seems to be slowing the death rate down. plus changed the sponge fillters from other tanks. im also giving them a dose of myxazin. i just dont understand whats gone wrong as none of them look like theirs anything wrong with them. and all water parameters seem ok. Question Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
Back to top Go down
hopkins182
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Male Number of posts : 50
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2010-03-07

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 12:21 pm

Ammonia spike? Filter breakdown? Water may test ok on usual test strips, but ammonia wont show...it's ammoniUM that causes nitrites and in turn nitrates, ammoniUM is broken down ammoniA, which will need bacteria to break it down, hence your other tank water and filter sponges have helped.
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 1:40 pm

hopkins182 wrote:
Ammonia spike? Filter breakdown? Water may test ok on usual test strips, but ammonia wont show...it's ammoniUM that causes nitrites and in turn nitrates, ammoniUM is broken down ammoniA, which will need bacteria to break it down, hence your other tank water and filter sponges have helped.

thanks for the reply mate.
i dont use the test strips only for ph i use api master test kits witch are renewd every four months so i no their not out dated.
and all levels are fine.
since making my last post ive now lost 12 L100 3 L144 and 2 super reds. only ones i have,nt lost is any long fins.
so replacing water and filters as not helped. but have made another water change with mature tank water. theirs no marks or rotting fins or any signs of fungas.
im going to take one to the shop were my son works at 4 pm and have a scrap done. so we will see if that can come up with anything.
ITS ALL DOOM AND GLOOM ATM
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

Male Number of posts : 659
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2009-10-27

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 1:46 pm

Deano

Get some seacheme stability if it's a water issue this will work

But sounds bacterial to my, problem is you are using myxazin which ideally needs 4 clear days to change treatment

You can try a does of PP for 4 hours, but keep a close eye on the fish
http://www.bidka.org/pp1.shtml

Otherwise I'd try FMG

It's really hard to tell without a scope, really sorry for you
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 1:57 pm

Jagtazman wrote:
Deano

Get some seacheme stability if it's a water issue this will work

But sounds bacterial to my, problem is you are using myxazin which ideally needs 4 clear days to change treatment

You can try a does of PP for 4 hours, but keep a close eye on the fish
http://www.bidka.org/pp1.shtml

Otherwise I'd try FMG

It's really hard to tell without a scope, really sorry for you

i could give them the pp dip i have this at hand at all times. i cannot get my head round it all water is good and their now in differnt water and fillters so alls ok their.
only other thing i can think of is some new food im trying. but this is getting fed to four of my tanks and alls ok their so far.
will see what the scrape comes up with later.
cheers
Back to top Go down
MarkOrm
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
MarkOrm

Male Number of posts : 153
Job/hobbies : Fish, walking, animals, photography.
Humor : Bill Hicks.
Registration date : 2010-02-24

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 5:13 pm

It could be something the water company has put in your water possibly - south west water put something in a few years back which killed my entire tank - and also that of another local fish keeper. Could be worth giving them a call. Water quality was AA and tested fine for everything - no sign of bacterial or fungal infection either.

Jag is right on stability - I use this every water change as well as my water conditioner. Not cheap but very worth it.
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 6:15 pm

MarkOrm wrote:

Jag is right on stability - I use this every water change as well as my water conditioner. Not cheap but very worth it.

I only use it in an emergency when I usually blow my QT tank with too much load lol!
Or clean out my sump too well and get a spike affraid
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 7:33 pm

Not good news mate i would hate for this to happen to me.... Evil or Very Mad
Good luck sorting it out mate....
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
MarkOrm
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
MarkOrm

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 8:24 pm

Jagtazman wrote:
MarkOrm wrote:

I only use it in an emergency when I usually blow my QT tank with too much load lol!
Or clean out my sump too well and get a spike affraid

You probably think I'm daft (actually I know you don't because you're just as daft as me) - but I love my fish as much as my other animals plus I'm a little bit paranoid - and Stability is a miracle in a bottle. Main thing is I don't have as many tanks as you - just a 3ft, small quarantine and a 4 foot when we work out where its going. You'd probably break the bank using stability on all your tanks.

I don't have the details of what they did - they overdosed the local supply after oil based pollutants entered it. Totally safe for us but bad for aquatic friends. Even snails. (So there's the good bit !) Their official line is they supply water fit for human consumption that's all.

Good luck Deano - let us know how you get on mate.
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 9:55 pm

well a quick update ive now lost all the super reds and the 144s. the long fins have now gone red from the base of the tail and making its way up the body. so thats the end of story. as ive just tret these with oil of cloves and put them out of thier missery.
you cannot believe how gutted i am to loose all my up coming breeding stock in a matter of days.
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-22

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 11:13 pm

Sucks to hear about your losses deano, you guys must have some real dramas with your water board adjusting the tap water all the time.
You'll bounce back from it deano- try and stay positive mate.

cheers J

Last edited by Kurosaki J on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Angi-N-Wayne
V.I.P Member

Number of posts : 690
Job/hobbies : Fish are our hobbies
Thank You Points : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-22

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 11:32 pm

OMG Deano, Im sooo sorry.

Do you use hma water, or from the tap?

We have an hma filter, but it runs so slow, that it takes way to long to do water changes, so Wayne is not using it like he should. This is a timely reminder for him to sort it out.

If you need to rehome any you have left whilst you sort it out, then we have a spare 3 footer in the fish room that is running, but hasn't had fish in for quite a few months. You're more than welcome to bring them over and settle them in whilst you sort out what ever it is that needs sorting.

Angi
Back to top Go down
http://worm-cultures.com/
MarkOrm
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
MarkOrm

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 9:35 am

Deano that's really bad news sorry to hear it Sad

Angi - not come across hma filters before - I'd been thinking about an RO unit and this has given me the kick up the posterior to look into it.
Back to top Go down
Spreebok
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Spreebok

Female Number of posts : 190
Thank You Points : 11
Registration date : 2009-11-26

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 10:40 am

Oh Deano, I don't know what to say! Have a word with your water supplier and see whats going on! D: Try to stay posistive, at least it wasn't something like breeding zebra plecs I guess :s

Quote :
I don't have the details of what they did - they overdosed the local supply after oil based pollutants entered it. Totally safe for us but bad for aquatic friends. Even snails. (So there's the good bit !) Their official line is they supply water fit for human consumption that's all.
Yeah we had an incident where diesel leaked into the water supply in a certain area of town. Luckly I live in a different part, and the school didn't Very Happy
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 11:38 am

Angi-N-Wayne wrote:

We have an hma filter, but it runs so slow, that it takes way to long to do water changes, so Wayne is not using it like he should. This is a timely reminder for him to sort it out.

If you need to rehome any you have left whilst you sort it out, then we have a spare 3 footer in the fish room that is running, but hasn't had fish in for quite a few months. You're more than welcome to bring them over and settle them in whilst you sort out what ever it is that needs sorting.

Angi

i do have a hma but ive not set it up in the new place. im just treating tap water. a big thanks for the offer to use your tank but theirs nothing left to save now.
it seems to be containd to the one tank at the moment toutch wood. ive now emptied the tank and put it out side and filled it with bleach and water to sterralise it. felt like smashing it to be honest lol.
i now know it was a bacterial infection of some sort and just need to think how i got it.
its strange as its only affected the bristlenoses the guppies were fine and the corries that were in the tank.
at least ive still got loads of young 144 to bring on and will now need to just get myself a few more from some were else to make another group.
as for the long fins i wil not bother replacing them or the supper reds.
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 3:56 pm

deano wrote:
Angi-N-Wayne wrote:

Angi

i do have a hma but ive not set it up in the new place. im just treating tap water. a big thanks for the offer to use your tank but theirs nothing left to save now.
it seems to be containd to the one tank at the moment toutch wood. ive now emptied the tank and put it out side and filled it with bleach and water to sterralise it. felt like smashing it to be honest lol.
i now know it was a bacterial infection of some sort and just need to think how i got it.
its strange as its only affected the bristlenoses the guppies were fine and the corries that were in the tank.
at least ive still got loads of young 144 to bring on and will now need to just get myself a few more from some were else to make another group.

gutted for you mate, really gutted did you loose the Rio P's as well Question

I'd also PP the tank even after bleach with a triple dose for a day, I'd do the same with the filters and start again
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 3:59 pm

Angi-N-Wayne wrote:

Angi

Angi

Most of may tanks bar two upstairs are on 100% HMA
I have a 250l water but with 2 heaters (one for back up set slightly lower) which I have on timer between 12 noon and 6pm so when I get home from work I can carry out water changes
I turn the hma valve off when I carry out a water change and turn it back on once finished to top up the butt again, think it takes an hour or so to top up, I have a ball cock/similar device in and an overflow to the outside drain just incase the float fails

If I plan to do one in an morning I just switch the heater on.
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 4:25 pm

Jagtazman wrote:
deano wrote:
Angi-N-Wayne wrote:

Angi

I'd also PP the tank even after bleach with a triple dose for a day, I'd do the same with the filters and start again
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 4:48 pm

deano wrote:
Jagtazman wrote:
deano wrote:
Angi-N-Wayne wrote:

Angi

cheers mate no the rio are fine

ok been to see lyndsy today with some dead fish to put under the scope
seems what as happend something as eaten away at the gut not worms but some sort of bad bacterial infection and then made its way through the body and out past the scales. the only thing we can come up with is these fish are the only one,s on a bare bottom tank. and it as built up on the tank floor. hence the bristlenose have been sucking this up when feeding. thats why the guppies and corrys were ok. so no more bare bottom tanks for me as i even clean these once a week.
adam did the p p before moving the tank outside and it went brown within 10 mins that was also telling me bad bacteria was prescent. spong fillters have been binned mate they cost nothing to replace.i wasnt prepared to take a chance with them.
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 4:55 pm

thought it would be bacterial, only thing I could think off, must have built up over time

I have Bn's in my bare bottom tanks in with the discus and they only get a wipe down once a week, but it's def food for thought I must admin

yeah like you say if PP goes brown straight away that's a large bio load for sure

Oh well back to the drawing board for you.

BTW not sure if you are interested but found some adult L255's today, but at £40 each they can keep them lol!
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 7:39 pm

Jagtazman wrote:
thought it would be bacterial, only thing I could think off, must have built up over time

I have Bn's in my bare bottom tanks in with the discus and they only get a wipe down once a week, but it's def food for thought I must admin

yeah like you say if PP goes brown straight away that's a large bio load for sure

BTW not sure if you are interested but found some adult L255's today, but at £40 each they can keep them lol!

yeah your right back to the brawing board.

no not interested in the 255,s ive just orderd some l114,s
Back to top Go down
MarkOrm
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
MarkOrm

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 7:42 pm

deano wrote:
Jagtazman wrote:

Nice to see you've not lost the bug. Good that you had access to such expert advice as well to find out the cause. Look forward to seeing your L144's.
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 7:50 pm

deano wrote:
Jagtazman wrote:

L114 Pseudacanthicus or L144's?
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 8:53 pm

yep l114 ive got over 100 144 young
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 9:53 pm

Starting to get other L number plecs then, nice one
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

heavy losses Empty
PostSubject: Re: heavy losses   heavy losses Empty

Back to top Go down

heavy losses
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: The Pleco Hospital :: The Plec Cemetery-
Jump to: