Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Adding a third and ideas for the next tank. Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Adding a third and ideas for the next tank. Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Adding a third and ideas for the next tank.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
MarkOrm
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
MarkOrm

Male Number of posts : 153
Job/hobbies : Fish, walking, animals, photography.
Humor : Bill Hicks.
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2010-02-24

Adding a third and ideas for the next tank. Empty
PostSubject: Adding a third and ideas for the next tank.   Adding a third and ideas for the next tank. EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 7:00 pm

Hello all - by now you know I have the BN bug as bad as the Apisto bug. Apologies for rambling but I think you're all as sad as me Wink

My 100 litre tank is currently home to two pairs of Apistos - and two BN one male, one female. Having been doing some reading and browsing on here I'm thinking seriously about getting a third female BN as I love the idea of a breeding trio. As you all probably know by now my tank is very heavily planted with half a dozen caves (I've got some more driftwood about to go in when its finished soaking). My original plan was three pairs of Apisto's (still waiting for Inka's to be available) as I love both the apperance and behaviour of the fish with a pair of BN but having fallen in love wih BN's I'd like to add a third female once my current juves grow a bit. Variety is not important - but not male obviously. Possibly another L144 so that I have a nice contrast between the females and male. What do you think guys ? I reckon it'll quite spectacular with the cichlids and BN's.

I tend to understock my tanks and over filter ; I'd rather have healthy, interesting but fewer fish. Will there be enough bottom space in a 100 litre tank for three ? I'm planning on a pure BN species tank with the four footer now but more of that another day.

The four footer I'm planning on having it less planted than the Apisto tank - probably a mix of java ferns, floaters and some carpeting foreground plants. Lots and I mean lots of bogwood and bogwood caves - some moss planted bogwood as well.

I'd like this to be my "pedigree" tank - so I'll get it up and running and wait for the right fish to come along. I'm guessing here I should also be sticking to one male ? Lots of time to plan and setup so no rush.

If I do have breeding success with any of my fish I have several quarantine tanks. I run them with small sponge filters, floating plants, moss balls and cover in terms of terracotta caves. No other plants so I can keep an eye on them.

Maybe once Kaz makes it down here I'll have some young ones to share Smile

So anyway thoughts or advice ? I would dearly love some L183's for the pedigree tank - although any BN to me is a stunner.
Back to top Go down
MarkOrm
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
MarkOrm

Male Number of posts : 153
Job/hobbies : Fish, walking, animals, photography.
Humor : Bill Hicks.
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2010-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Adding a third and ideas for the next tank.   Adding a third and ideas for the next tank. EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 7:39 pm

Well my Panduro's are small and in my Quarentine tank. They're taking glassworm like crazy and I've been advised that as soon as I'm sure they're clear of any issues they need to go into the main tank to start setting a territory up. I'm not convinced as they are tiny compared to my now full grown Agazzi & Macmasteri (even the Macmasteri female is bigger than my male Panduro) but anyway here she is :

Adding a third and ideas for the next tank. Fem_pand

Apologies for the out of focus but my QT is low light and I didn't want to use the flash. I think if I put a third BN in the main tank I'm risking overstocking. So I'm keeping it with my pair.

I've picked up a fourth tank (another QT/breeding one). That will be kept dry and setup in the kitchen if anyone breeds. My plan for the four footer is a bogwood heavy planted tank with a breeding trio of BN and a pair of Apisto - probably two more Macmasteri as they are simply spectacular. I'm thinking about moving my current Macmasterii out to it once cycled as they are extremely dominant. That would leave my A. Agazzi & Panduro - plus either another pair of A. Beanschi or just the current Apisto's and BN. Joy to watch the lot of them.
Back to top Go down
Bwompus
V.I.P Member
Bwompus

Male Number of posts : 541
Job/hobbies : ZOMBIES!!, Horror movies, aquariums, fishing, drag racing, 4 wheeling, camping, etc etc
Humor : lots
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2010-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Adding a third and ideas for the next tank.   Adding a third and ideas for the next tank. EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 2:38 pm

I don't know enough to give advice but a heavily planted bogwood tank sounds extremely cool. I'm like you on the tanks....understocked and over filtered cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adding a third and ideas for the next tank.   Adding a third and ideas for the next tank. Empty

Back to top Go down

Adding a third and ideas for the next tank.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Bristlenose Talk-
Jump to: