Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Pleco ID Help please? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Pleco ID Help please? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pleco ID Help please?

Go down 
+2
deano
Darren Balch
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Darren Balch
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Darren Balch

Male Number of posts : 71
Job/hobbies : Music, Fish, Beer, Xbox360 etc
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2009-12-09

Pleco ID Help please? Empty
PostSubject: Pleco ID Help please?   Pleco ID Help please? EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:31 pm

One of my LFS has 2 of these instock labelled as "Queen Arabesque Plecs" I am pretty sure that is not the case, i appologise as my photo is pretty rubbish. They are approx 50-60mm in length and are always hidden. I have spent hours skimming through my aqualog and other resource materials and think they maybe L270 Chocolate Zebras but even they seem to be different in the patterns. They are up for £30 each.

Pleco ID Help please? Snc00319

They also have 2 royals at £40 each, tempting but i'll need a bigger tank to keep one of them.

Pleco ID Help please? Snc00320
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

Male Number of posts : 1072
Job/hobbies : welder fish breeding drinking
Humor : mad as an hatter
Thank You Points : 16
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Pleco ID Help please?   Pleco ID Help please? EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:52 pm

could possably be a juvei L134 looks like some i seen the other day in a lfs that had them marked up as 134?????
and i dont have my books at the mo so cannot help further.
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Pleco ID Help please?   Pleco ID Help please? EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 10:34 pm

Definately not L260 /Queen Arabesque , the lines are to thick- L260 look almost black with fine white lines.
Could be L270 but they generally have a brownish yellow tinge were the white is, the pic looks like a L046 /Zebra and for
30 pound I'd grab it, you can see the typical "M"shape in the lines on the front of it's head- A Zebra of sorts?
cheers J
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Pleco ID Help please?   Pleco ID Help please? EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 7:26 am

Nice plecs, i wouldnt normally have a go at the I.D of a diff species but here goes......

I think the bottom pic is a royal.....

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=891

And the top pic is not a zebra thats for sure the lines on its back run the wrong way for a Zeb...

take a look at this...

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=923

The markings are exactly the same but the colour differs alot....maybe a colour morph of the L306 species..???

I cannot find any other species that has the exact markings other than the 306....

it also doesnt look like the L134...

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=213

As J said the Lines are very straight and black and could easily be I.D as a zeb but look at the way the zebz lines go...

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=168....

Thats my view's on things.... :o
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Pleco ID Help please?   Pleco ID Help please? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 2:12 am

Suspect Yup I see that now (duh) the stripes run the wrong way to be a Zeb( I was just looking at the M on the head)
L306 looks more yellow in colour where the white is.
L316 carries the 'M' on the face but the lines are more reticulated(worm looking-inconsistant)

Now the best looking reference I can see is LDA70 aka "Queen Imperial" plec, it has the "M" pattern on the face aswell as nice solid black vertical lines down the length of the body.
It could also be L015 aka "CandyStripe" plec which are 1 of the more common/available variaties to make it on to the market.
It's a big world of plecs out there Darren Balch Laughing
cheers J
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

PostSubject: Re: Pleco ID Help please?   Pleco ID Help please? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 9:53 am

Kurosaki J wrote:
Suspect Yup I see that now (duh) the stripes run the wrong way to be a Zeb( I was just looking at the M on the head)
L306 looks more yellow in colour where the white is.
L316 carries the 'M' on the face but the lines are more reticulated(worm looking-inconsistant)

Now the best looking reference I can see is LDA70 aka "Queen Imperial" plec, it has the "M" pattern on the face aswell as nice solid black vertical lines down the length of the body.
It could also be L015 aka "CandyStripe" plec which are 1 of the more common/available variaties to make it on to the market.
It's a big world of plecs out there Darren Balch Laughing
cheers J

I instantly thought candystripe aswell......

ah well.....we'll get there in the end...i think.. Laughing
Back to top Go down
thegeeman
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
thegeeman

Number of posts : 59
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Pleco ID Help please?   Pleco ID Help please? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 3:03 pm

At 50mm they could be anything. L333,199,270 or L15 candy stripe.

I will edge me bets with L199

Cheers

thegeeman
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

Male Number of posts : 659
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2009-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Pleco ID Help please?   Pleco ID Help please? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 7:49 pm

thegeeman wrote:
At 50mm they could be anything. L333,199,270 or L15 candy stripe.

I will edge me bets with L199

Cheers

thegeeman

Yup this is true I'd go L15 lol!
Back to top Go down
thegeeman
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
thegeeman

PostSubject: Re: Pleco ID Help please?   Pleco ID Help please? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 9:34 pm

L199 Laughing Check them out on amazon imports

http://www.amazon-exotic-import.de/Imports_AEI.html

Cheers

thegeeman
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

PostSubject: Re: Pleco ID Help please?   Pleco ID Help please? EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 7:53 am

Nice link and some nice Wild Discus there, shame I do not keep the wilds
Back to top Go down
Darren Balch
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Darren Balch

Male Number of posts : 71
Job/hobbies : Music, Fish, Beer, Xbox360 etc
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2009-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Pleco ID Help please?   Pleco ID Help please? EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 12:16 pm

So if they are indeed L199's what is a good price for them? and does anyone know much about the sexing or breeding habbits?
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

PostSubject: Re: Pleco ID Help please?   Pleco ID Help please? EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 5:20 pm

Darren Balch wrote:
So if they are indeed L199's what is a good price for them? and does anyone know much about the sexing or breeding habbits?
The Geeman is your man re sexing but I would say average price depending on the size of them
Back to top Go down
thegeeman
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
thegeeman

PostSubject: Re: Pleco ID Help please?   Pleco ID Help please? EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 6:26 pm

30.00 for 50-60mm hypans is a little steep IMO. You wont be able to sex them at that size either. Nice fish that prefers a higher temp and fast flowing setup.

If your looking to find hypans to breed then save your money until you find a tank full of adults and then pick a pair from them. You should be able to pic up adult hypans for 30-40 pound depending on species. I dont know if you know Jozebs? She is a good lady and takes care of her fish. Not sure if i can post a link to her site so I wont but to give you a clue it has rare-aquatics, www and .co.uk mixed up in it

Cheers

thegeeman Laughing
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

PostSubject: Re: Pleco ID Help please?   Pleco ID Help please? EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 5:58 am

thegeeman wrote:
30.00 for 50-60mm hypans is a little steep IMO. You wont be able to sex them at that size either. Nice fish that prefers a higher temp and fast flowing setup.

If your looking to find hypans to breed then save your money until you find a tank full of adults and then pick a pair from them. You should be able to pic up adult hypans for 30-40 pound depending on species. I dont know if you know Jozebs? She is a good lady and takes care of her fish. Not sure if i can post a link to her site so I wont but to give you a clue it has rare-aquatics, www and .co.uk mixed up in it

Cheers

thegeeman Laughing

i no JO post the link if you like mate...you pretty much did anyway lol.......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pleco ID Help please?   Pleco ID Help please? Empty

Back to top Go down

Pleco ID Help please?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: The I.D Labratory-
Jump to: