Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

will they breed together? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

will they breed together? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

will they breed together?

Go down 
+4
Curby
816johnv
hopkins182
Lunchbox
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Lunchbox
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Lunchbox

Male Number of posts : 96
Job/hobbies : Fish Keeping, Pizza Maker
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2010-03-19

will they breed together? Empty
PostSubject: will they breed together?   will they breed together? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 7:19 pm

Will a long fin BN breed with a short fin BN? And if so what is the outcome?
Back to top Go down
hopkins182
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Male Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: will they breed together?   will they breed together? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 7:57 pm

Yes they will, and you'll end up with a mixture. I'm trying the same thing atm.
Back to top Go down
816johnv
V.I.P Member
816johnv

Male Number of posts : 700
Job/hobbies : Breeding Plecs, Football and most other sports
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: will they breed together?   will they breed together? EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 11:47 am

hopkins182 wrote:

yep this is true
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: will they breed together?   will they breed together? EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 5:30 pm

hopkins182 wrote:

pretty much answers your question... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
thegeeman
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
thegeeman

Number of posts : 59
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-03-06

PostSubject: Re: will they breed together?   will they breed together? EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 6:34 pm

Lunchbox wrote:

Can I ask why you want to do this?. Why not just keep to sp breeding.

I have kept and bred Hypans and would never dream of mixing sp on purpose. Is it an accepted principle in the bn world to mix breed?

Cheers

thegeeman
Back to top Go down
Lunchbox
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Lunchbox

Male Number of posts : 96
Job/hobbies : Fish Keeping, Pizza Maker
Registration date : 2010-03-19

PostSubject: Re: will they breed together?   will they breed together? EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 6:37 pm

I don't want to breed them, I was just curious as i came across alot of this in my reading.
Back to top Go down
MarkOrm
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
MarkOrm

Male Number of posts : 153
Job/hobbies : Fish, walking, animals, photography.
Humor : Bill Hicks.
Registration date : 2010-02-24

PostSubject: Re: will they breed together?   will they breed together? EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 7:52 pm

thegeeman wrote:
Lunchbox wrote:

I have kept and bred Hypans and would never dream of mixing sp on purpose. Is it an accepted principle in the bn world to mix breed?

Cheers

thegeeman

I suspect his question comes from a desire to watch their breeding behaviour rather than a desire to "pure breed" an L number - a bit like dog or duck breeders will breed a variety. Apologies if I'm being a muppet here but aren't all Ancistrus sp. variations (wild due to different environmental conditions or tank bred) the same basically genetically able to breed species ? Given enough time they will become behaviourally then genetically distinct as different colours will occupy different ecological niches.
Back to top Go down
thegeeman
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
thegeeman

Number of posts : 59
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-03-06

PostSubject: Re: will they breed together?   will they breed together? EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 9:45 pm

MarkOrm wrote:
thegeeman wrote:
Lunchbox wrote:

Cheers

thegeeman

I suspect his question comes from a desire to watch their breeding behaviour rather than a desire to "pure breed" an L number - a bit like dog or duck breeders will breed a variety. Apologies if I'm being a muppet here but aren't all Ancistrus sp. variations (wild due to different environmental conditions or tank bred) the same basically genetically able to breed species ? Given enough time they will become behaviourally then genetically distinct as different colours will occupy different ecological niches.

Your not being a muppet at all mate. Just that if I talked about crossing "sp" of hypancistrus or any other plec I would get shot Laughing Yet with bristlenose breeding people dont bat an eye at mixed "sp" just not sure why.

Cheers

thegeeman

Last edited by thegeeman on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Spreebok
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Spreebok

Female Number of posts : 190
Thank You Points : 11
Registration date : 2009-11-26

PostSubject: Re: will they breed together?   will they breed together? EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 10:52 pm

Quote :
Yet with bristlenose breeding people dont bat an eye at mixed "sp" just not sure why.
Because they're ugly enough, and we might just make them prettier? Laughing
Haha, I kid, I can imagine it's just curiosity more than anything. I for one would love to see what my common bn and my L059's babies would look like if they had any! xD Can't imagine it would ever happen though!
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

Male Number of posts : 1072
Job/hobbies : welder fish breeding drinking
Humor : mad as an hatter
Thank You Points : 16
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: will they breed together?   will they breed together? EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 2:35 pm

thegeeman wrote:
MarkOrm wrote:
thegeeman wrote:
Lunchbox wrote:

Cheers

thegeeman

Your not being a muppet at all mate. Just that if I talked about crossing "sp" of hypancistrus or any other plec I would get shot Laughing Yet with bristlenose breeding people dont bat an eye at mixed "sp" just not sure why.

Cheers

thegeeman

im not sure why geeman
i dont cross breed any of mine and would,nt even breed from a brown and a albino. or two siblings. i was going to put the reds to the browns just to see what would have been the outcome as it,s beleived the reds came from two browns. if that is the case it as got to be down to lack of pigment. imo
thats why i will only buy my stock from trusted breeders or from germany. ive bought them in the past then when they spawnd ive ended up with some brown fry that i did not want. Evil or Very Mad
i got some reds and some albino long fins from a breeder last year who is supposed to be a good well known breeder. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad well the truth is i would never buy another thing from him. the reds had white spot and the long fins were short fins exept for two out of the six these are now just tank cleaners in my mbuna tank the reds i sold on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: will they breed together?   will they breed together? Empty

Back to top Go down

will they breed together?
Page 1 of 1