Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

The Cardinal Tetra - ([Paracheirodon axelrodi) Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

The Cardinal Tetra - ([Paracheirodon axelrodi) Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Cardinal Tetra - ([Paracheirodon axelrodi)

Go down 
+2
Bwompus
sicklids
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sicklids
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
sicklids

Male Number of posts : 98
Job/hobbies : Keeper and Breeder of Cichlids, Natives and Catfishes
Humor : Life is like a box of chocolates ......Forrest Gump
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2010-05-25

The Cardinal Tetra - ([Paracheirodon axelrodi) Empty
PostSubject: The Cardinal Tetra - ([Paracheirodon axelrodi)   The Cardinal Tetra - ([Paracheirodon axelrodi) EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 5:24 am

The Cardinal Tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi)
The Cardinal Tetra - ([Paracheirodon axelrodi) DSCF8972
The Cardinal Tetra - ([Paracheirodon axelrodi) Cardies
The Cardinal Tetra - ([Paracheirodon axelrodi) DSCF8063
Left: Neon tetra - (Paracheirodon innesi) Right: Cardinal Tetra - (Paracheirodon axelrodi)

The Cardinal Tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi) is a small, colorful, freshwater fish from the Amazon River. It belongs to the family Characidae.

The Difference Between Cardinal and Neon Tetras

Cardinal tetras look very similar to neon tetras (Paracheirodon innesi). The two fish can be distinguished from one another in that the red stripe or band on the cardinal tetra extends from the head to the base of the tail, whereas in the neon tetra the red band begins about mid-way between the head and the tail and then extends to the tail base. Compare the two photos of the cardinal and neon tetra and you will see the difference between them. Cardinal tetras are even more colorful than neon tetras.

Cardinal Tetra Temperament and Aquarium Conditions

Cardinal tetras are peaceful, shoaling fish that do well in a community aquarium with peaceful fish that aren't large enough to eat them. Cardinal tetras reach approximately 5cm in length, so they are a little larger than neon tetras.

Like all fish from the Amazon, they do best in soft, slightly acidic water.
The water temperature should be between 21-26°C.
They are shoaling fish and so you need to keep several (6-Cool cardinal tetras together in your tank. Like the neon tetras, cardinal tetras won't thrive as solitary fish.

Diet
They are omnivores (both plant and meaty foods) and will readily eat flakes, frozen, freeze-dried, and live foods.
Although they are small fish, they still need ample swimming room. They usually swim back and forth as a shoal.
Your tank should be fairly long, rather than tall, so your tetras can swim back and forth with enough room. You should provide plants at the sides and back of the tank so the middle of the tank is open. Cardinal tetras swim in the middle layer of the tank.

Spawning and Fry
Cardinal tetras are egglaying fish.

Sexing cardinal tetras is difficult because males and females are identical in color. Females usually have a more rounded body than males if they are full of eggs.
It is best to place the pair (or several cardinal tetras if you don't know what sex they are) in a separate breeding tank with some plants (floating is best) and soft, slightly acidic water (pH around 6.0-6.2). They won't breed in alkaline, hard water. You can filter the water through peat or add a thin layer of peat to the substrate.
Make sure there are no other additives in the peat that could be harmful to the fish.

Cardinal tetras are most likely to spawn at night or when the tank lights are dim.
They are egg scattering fish.
After spawning is complete remove the adult fish or they will probably eat the eggs.
The tiny cardinal tetra fry will hatch in about 24 hours. Once they are free swimming the fry can be fed commercial liquid fry food, infusoria, or a small amount of mashed up hard-boiled egg yolk.

When the fry grow a little larger supplement their diet with newly hatched brine shrimp and powdered fry food.[img]

Last edited by Mooo on Sun May 01, 2011 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Photos missing, replaced with some of Mooo's)
Back to top Go down
http://s1.zetaboards.com/PrestigeAquatics/index
Bwompus
V.I.P Member
Bwompus

Male Number of posts : 541
Job/hobbies : ZOMBIES!!, Horror movies, aquariums, fishing, drag racing, 4 wheeling, camping, etc etc
Humor : lots
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2010-02-08

PostSubject: Re: The Cardinal Tetra - ([Paracheirodon axelrodi)   The Cardinal Tetra - ([Paracheirodon axelrodi) EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 1:09 pm

I like these fish. Get a good shoal going and its awesome to watch! Thanks again Sicklids!!
Back to top Go down
ltaylor88
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ltaylor88

Male Number of posts : 160
Job/hobbies : Glazzier / cacti,fishis,motorbikes,boating
Thank You Points : 3
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: The Cardinal Tetra - ([Paracheirodon axelrodi)   The Cardinal Tetra - ([Paracheirodon axelrodi) EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 8:31 pm

i have cardinals a tetras together they are every attractive fish
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: The Cardinal Tetra - ([Paracheirodon axelrodi)   The Cardinal Tetra - ([Paracheirodon axelrodi) EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 1:49 am

I love these guys, i used to have a school of about 35 in my amazon tank. but as i got some of the other fish, then numbers started to drop. Finally gave my last 15 to a mate to save them being eaten. Miss them tho!
Back to top Go down
somethingsmellsfishy
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
somethingsmellsfishy

Male Number of posts : 53
Job/hobbies : Painter, fish, driving
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-04-12

PostSubject: Re: The Cardinal Tetra - ([Paracheirodon axelrodi)   The Cardinal Tetra - ([Paracheirodon axelrodi) EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 11:56 am

Id also like to add that cardinal tetras are a fair bit bigger than neon tetras, maybe standing more of a chance against bigger fish eating them? Or so i have been told
Back to top Go down
Mooo
V.I.P Member
Mooo

Female Number of posts : 957
Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : What?
Thank You Points : 36
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: The Cardinal Tetra - ([Paracheirodon axelrodi)   The Cardinal Tetra - ([Paracheirodon axelrodi) EmptySun May 01, 2011 11:50 am

I have a school of them, those ones in the pic above as are mine as youngens, They have grown well, I love em lovely fish to keep..would never even look at a neon again ever, Cardies are still a bit flighty, but are still much tuffer fish..l
Back to top Go down
http://www.livefish.com.au
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Cardinal Tetra - ([Paracheirodon axelrodi)   The Cardinal Tetra - ([Paracheirodon axelrodi) Empty

Back to top Go down

The Cardinal Tetra - ([Paracheirodon axelrodi)
Page 1 of 1