Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Breeding Bristlenose? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Breeding Bristlenose? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Breeding Bristlenose?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
danny
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 10
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-06-10

Breeding Bristlenose? Empty
PostSubject: Breeding Bristlenose?   Breeding Bristlenose? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 11:17 am

Hi there, i have had some success in breeding a few different types of livebearers but i want to start learning how to breed Plecostomus's, i am hoping people can give me as much advice as possible.
I set up to use (not actually set up yet) it includes a 5ft tank, heater, filter, pump, 3 medium-large driftwood, 3 breeding caves.
i want to start with bristlenose as ive read that they are the easiest of the plecostomus family to breed but would appreciate some more info.
This may sound like a dumb question but would they breed better if the fish were not related??

thanks and i look forward to hearing your advice
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bristlenose?   Breeding Bristlenose? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 11:27 am

First off welcome hear danny...you may like to post here to say hello to everyone..

http://www.bristlenoseworld.com/new-members-f1/

And have a read through this thread first, everything you need to no to start up is in this read....

http://www.bristlenoseworld.com/the-breeding-cave-f8/breeding-the-bristlenose-pleco-t1320.htm

If you have any further questions after reading the article then just ask...

And yes it would be alot better if you bought your fish that were unrelated as your baby's will survive alot better ....
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bristlenose?   Breeding Bristlenose? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 3:39 am

unless you want hillbilly bristlenose playing banjos on the porch of the trailer cave while chewing tabacco and spitting out their last remaining tooth then dont inbreed!

on a more serious note. aquarium fish already suffer considerably from inbreeding depression and should be fought as much as possible. Anyone ever wonder why the 'German' blood lines of fish are some much brighter and better than normal stock...Its becasue they regulate their breeding such that after 3 spawns new bloodlines much be introduced (so my local fish shop owner tells me). new bloodlines create genetic diversity and genetic diversity leads to strength, resistance and better health. no to mention as curby said, inbred fry will have a significantly higher mortality rate as genetic defects are much more common
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bristlenose?   Breeding Bristlenose? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 6:10 am

Well said Doug... Good Job
Back to top Go down
danny
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bristlenose?   Breeding Bristlenose? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 9:00 am

thats great. thanks for your help guys.
any more tips would be great.

I have just purchased some starlight bristlenose fry, hope fully i will be able to get another couple from a different breeder and then in arround 6 month they may be ready to breed.
Back to top Go down
Stannyblade
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Male Number of posts : 90
Job/hobbies : the blades
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2010-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bristlenose?   Breeding Bristlenose? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 12:55 pm

think it will take a little longer than 6 months to get them to breeding size. mine took at least 10 months
Back to top Go down
danny
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bristlenose?   Breeding Bristlenose? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 1:02 pm

well maybe 10 months then, hehe Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bristlenose?   Breeding Bristlenose? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 5:33 pm

danny wrote:
well maybe 10 months then, hehe Embarassed

they also grow upto 10 inches mate....one of the largest bristlenose's around belive you me, my male is huge..... affraid

Here is BIG Freddy,..look at the small common female at the side of him i say small she is fully grown at 4 inches....

Breeding Bristlenose? Freddy14

And here is a my fully grown L182 female next to a common albino female who is also fully mature...check the size difference.. Shocked

Breeding Bristlenose? Dotty_12
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bristlenose?   Breeding Bristlenose? Empty

Back to top Go down

Breeding Bristlenose?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: The Breeding Cave-
Jump to: