Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

I got eggs for the first time Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

I got eggs for the first time Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I got eggs for the first time

Go down 
+6
deano
Curby
Doug
Yvette
Bwompus
ltaylor88
10 posters
AuthorMessage
ltaylor88
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ltaylor88

Male Number of posts : 160
Job/hobbies : Glazzier / cacti,fishis,motorbikes,boating
Thank You Points : 3
Registration date : 2010-03-14

I got eggs for the first time Empty
PostSubject: I got eggs for the first time   I got eggs for the first time EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Hi everyone I'm ecstatic I have common bristlenose eggs. I only put the cave in 3 days ago. I made one like them slate ones you see on ebay.

i would like a little advise tho my pH is between 8-8.5 andi don't know how the eggs will fair . Also do i leave them with him or take them away

also i like to say my wife had her 20 week scan today and im expecting a boy SO MUCH good news i dont know what to do with myself
Back to top Go down
Bwompus
V.I.P Member
Bwompus

Male Number of posts : 541
Job/hobbies : ZOMBIES!!, Horror movies, aquariums, fishing, drag racing, 4 wheeling, camping, etc etc
Humor : lots
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2010-02-08

PostSubject: Re: I got eggs for the first time   I got eggs for the first time EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 5:42 pm

CONGRATZ all the way around!!!! cheers cheers

You have a very fertile household! Seriously though...that is some awesome news!!
Back to top Go down
Yvette
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Female Number of posts : 128
Job/hobbies : fish and dogs
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2009-04-04

PostSubject: Re: I got eggs for the first time   I got eggs for the first time EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 8:52 pm

Congratulations :bounce: on both counts, you sure it's just one baby? could be like BN's lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.roedeanewhippets.co.uk
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: I got eggs for the first time   I got eggs for the first time EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 2:20 am

congrads on both counts!!

In terms of your questions. leave the male in with them. the pH is extremely high, i would suggest that their best chance of survival lies with him. they must have been really keen to breed at that pH. I would consider that i major credit to your fish keeping skills.
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: I got eggs for the first time   I got eggs for the first time EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 7:38 am

cheers Great News on both fronts... cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

Male Number of posts : 1072
Job/hobbies : welder fish breeding drinking
Humor : mad as an hatter
Thank You Points : 16
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: I got eggs for the first time   I got eggs for the first time EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 10:50 am

congrats on the great news bet youre over the moon.
the eggs need to stay with the male and should do ok with that ph also. i have them breeding with the same ph in my malawi tanks but i remove the cave and eggs as the malawis eat all the fry. if their in their own tank then a ph of 7.2 would be alot better youre water must be hard to have that kind of ph what do you have in the tank ie rocks gravel as this could be buffering youre water have you tested for gh and kh i find hard water and hi ph gives the fry a better growth.
good luck with the spawn and the baby.
Back to top Go down
ltaylor88
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ltaylor88

PostSubject: Re: I got eggs for the first time   I got eggs for the first time EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 11:25 am

i have a fine black shiny gravel i belive it is recycle crushed glash but it is not sharp. as for rocks there are only a couple of little one's and other than that i have a lump of mangrove root bog wood(atleast i think that is what it is) plus loads of plants.

as for fish in there i have
6 comon bn 3" 1 male (there is possible one other male but he has not fully developed his bristles yet
2 albinos 1"
4 L144 2"
4 L182 2"
plus around 10 1/2" commons i got given
3 large apple snails

its a 90ltr tank. i have tested the ph of my tap water and thats how it comes. i also have great problems with nitrate as the tap water is already loaded with it. I did get my friend to test my kh and gh with one of those test stips that dose everything and both readings where high. but i took into acount that it also said i had a ph of 6 and i know thats wrong as i test it myself and i have had 2 local lfs's to test it. and they have the same problems
Back to top Go down
Dam0
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 6
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-06-17

PostSubject: Re: I got eggs for the first time   I got eggs for the first time EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 9:06 am

congrats on the fry and the youngster on its way mate.

thats quiet high ph for tap water, you must be pretty good at managing things with this tank for them to be so happy as to spawn.

i had my first spawn only a matter of months ago myself, and i was so excited, i can only imagaine how you must feel with your double good news.

regards,
Dam0
Back to top Go down
daisyman97
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Male Number of posts : 17
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-04-10

PostSubject: Re: I got eggs for the first time   I got eggs for the first time EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 12:02 pm

Congratulations on both fronts.

About the tap water, I have a similar situation with Nitrates really high and a fairly high pH. I put in some bogwood which lowered the pH (I think that was the reason) and now when I water change I tend to replace with half RO and half dechlorinated tap, to keep nitrates and pH down. This may be an idea for you to try if you want to lower them? The bristlenoses seem to be a bit happier with that.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: I got eggs for the first time   I got eggs for the first time EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 12:04 pm

wood lowers pH so it is always a good place to start Smile some people use peat moss in their filters as it has a similar effect.
Back to top Go down
Mooo
V.I.P Member
Mooo

Female Number of posts : 957
Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : What?
Thank You Points : 36
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: I got eggs for the first time   I got eggs for the first time EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 3:05 pm

Woohooo!!
Congrats on the bn eggs,
Major Congrats on the little human you have created..thats fabulous...
Back to top Go down
http://www.livefish.com.au
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: I got eggs for the first time   I got eggs for the first time EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 1:06 am

Congrats on both counts mate. breeding bns is easy, breeding humans is even easier Wink
Back to top Go down
ltaylor88
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ltaylor88

PostSubject: Re: I got eggs for the first time   I got eggs for the first time EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 6:42 am

its not LOL
Back to top Go down
ltaylor88
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ltaylor88

PostSubject: Re: I got eggs for the first time   I got eggs for the first time EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 9:20 pm

Just an update . They have hatched I looked in the cave and i thought "where have they gone?" i look up and iv got wrigglers. Plus another round of eggs has appeared . at what point should i remove the fry as i have this tank already stocked to what i would consider full with different types of BN
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: I got eggs for the first time   I got eggs for the first time EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 1:36 am

Good work on the double spawn!! Seem to have got this breeding thing working cheers

As to when to remove the babies...that depends on several things. IF they are under no direct attack from tank mates then they are fine in there for a while. They do poo a lot so you will have to increase filtration and/or cleaning.

If however they are going to be attacked by other fish then they need to come out asap if you want them to survive. If you have a spare tank then you can acutally move the cave, wriggles, eggs and male in one smooth move. the male wont leave the eggs so you just pick the cave up and move it across. but make sure thatthe tank is well cycled and all that as wrigglers are very sensitive to ammonia. are there any fish in the current tank that will make a meal of the fry? If there are some hungry fish in the tank and you dont have a spare tank get a fry-saver, cheep as chips from any fish shop, and move the cave into there. that will stop the other fish having a snack while the male will still be able to tend to the eggs.

I dont move my fry til they are 1.5-2cms and are totally independent, eating and are capable swimmers. Usually about a month after they hatch. This also give the male a chance to have a feed and get back into condition before i remove the fry and drop a couple of mates in for him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I got eggs for the first time   I got eggs for the first time Empty

Back to top Go down

I got eggs for the first time
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Bristlenose Talk-
Jump to: