Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

PH and how to change it Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

PH and how to change it Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

PH and how to change it

Go down 
+2
Curby
"L Number mad
6 posters
AuthorMessage
"L Number mad
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
PH and how to change it 12-38

Male Number of posts : 223
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PH and how to change it Empty
PostSubject: PH and how to change it   PH and how to change it EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 9:45 am

PH and how to change it,

pH is commonly referred to as a measure of the acidity or alkalinity of a solution (although a more scientific description would be that pH is a measure of the concentration of Hydrogen atoms, H+). The pH scale runs from 0 (acidic) to 14 (alkaline), with neutral pH 7 in the middle. The pH scale is logarithmic, which means, for example, that pH 5 is ten times more acidic than pH 6. Diagram of pH scale
The pH range of interest to the tropical fishkeeper is between pH 5 and pH 9, with the vast majority of fish requiring a pH between pH 6 and 8. The pH value of the water has an important influence on the way a fishes body functions.
It is useful to know the pH of your tapwater (or other source), to determine its suitability for the fish you wish to keep. Measure the pH after the water has been left in a bucket overnight, as the pH may change due to gases dissolving into, or being released from, the water.

Changing aquarium pH

Before attempting to change the pH of aquarium water, you should ask yourself if it is really necessary to do so. The pH range quoted for a given species may be based on its native waters. Although it might be desirable to mimic these conditions to some extent, the fish may be quite capable of thriving at a slightly different pH. It is also worth considering that many fish acquired in the hobby may have been aquarium bred for many generations and already become accustomed to water conditions quite different to their natural habitat. Providing a stable pH is usually more important than the exact value, as long as extremes are avoided.

There are of course some fish which do require specific conditions to thrive. You may also want to alter water chemistry to improve success with breeding, or to improve the growth of demanding plants. Increasing pH is usually easier than lowering it, and will usually involve raising hardness at the same time, in order to keep the pH stable. It can be achieved in the following ways:

1. The use of decor containing buffering salts, such as limestone rock.
2. The use of crushed coral in the filter.
3. Commercial buffers and "pH-up" products.

Lowering pH can be more difficult, particularly in hard water which has a good buffering capacity. The following methods are sometimes employed.

1. Filtration through peat, this will be more effective in water with a lower KH.
2. Commercial "pH-down" products. Again, these will not work effectively where there is a strong buffering capacity. Some will also introduce phosphate to the aquarium which will encourage undesirable algae growth.

Attempting to lower the pH of well-buffered water with commercial chemicals or acid solutions is likely to result in a losing battle, as the buffer system causes the pH to restabilise at its original value. The resultant pH swings are likely to be harmful to fish. The solution is reduce the buffering capacity or carbonate hardness (KH) first.

Apart from the effect of pH itself, there are important effects on the toxicity of ammonia and nitrite with changing pH. Therefore you should be particularly wary of attempting to change pH when either of these waste products is detectable - in particular, during the cycle. It is safer to let the cycle finish before attempting to adjust pH - it may settle at a different value once the cycle is complete in any case.
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: PH and how to change it   PH and how to change it EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 8:59 am

Perfect mate..you should create..L-Numbers Daily Diary's lol...
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
Angi-N-Wayne
V.I.P Member

Number of posts : 690
Job/hobbies : Fish are our hobbies
Thank You Points : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: PH and how to change it   PH and how to change it EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 5:53 pm

After losing our male longfin last night, and just finding a female the same Sad We double checked the PH and it's at 8.5 So we checked it out of the tap and the HMA and they're at 8.5 too, where they are usually at a ph of 7. I think it's due to all the salt from the snow, or the getting rid of it.

It actually tastes salty too. So we're frantically making black water (3 buckets with almond leaves) to try and bring it back into a decent range.

Fingers Crossed
Back to top Go down
http://worm-cultures.com/
816johnv
V.I.P Member
816johnv

Male Number of posts : 700
Job/hobbies : Breeding Plecs, Football and most other sports
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: PH and how to change it   PH and how to change it EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 3:48 am

Angi-N-Wayne wrote:
After losing our male longfin last night, and just finding a female the same Sad We double checked the PH and it's at 8.5 So we checked it out of the tap and the HMA and they're at 8.5 too, where they are usually at a ph of 7. I think it's due to all the salt from the snow, or the getting rid of it.

It actually tastes salty too. So we're frantically making black water (3 buckets with almond leaves) to try and bring it back into a decent range.

Fingers Crossed

HMA normaly taks all the nasties out of the water...... fingers crossed you can sort the problem out
Back to top Go down
Angi-N-Wayne
V.I.P Member

Number of posts : 690
Job/hobbies : Fish are our hobbies
Thank You Points : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: PH and how to change it   PH and how to change it EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 11:49 am

816johnv wrote:
Angi-N-Wayne wrote:

Fingers Crossed

HMA normaly taks all the nasties out of the water...... fingers crossed you can sort the problem out

That's what surprised me with the HMA, but the filters are old or blocked. At least the almond leaves are doing the business slowly Smile
Back to top Go down
http://worm-cultures.com/
Dane
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Dane

Male Number of posts : 48
Job/hobbies : air con, plecs
Humor : find out wont ya
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-01-31

PostSubject: Re: PH and how to change it   PH and how to change it EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 5:21 pm

good posting l number but one thing i have learnt never use chemicals you alter ph and if anything dont adjust at all

Dane
Back to top Go down
kebbard
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Male Number of posts : 3
Job/hobbies : fishing, fish, gardening, aquascaping, reading
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2014-02-17

PostSubject: Re: PH and how to change it   PH and how to change it EmptySun May 04, 2014 8:44 pm

Dane wrote:
good posting l number but one thing i have learnt never use chemicals you alter ph and if anything dont adjust at all

Dane
I'll have to agree with this in most cases, however with everything in my tank driftwood, lots of plants, various stones (some inert others such as marble to increase kh) manages to keep my tank about 6-6.5, my tap averages 7.5. I also live in an old house which means rusty steel pipes (don't use water for a week means brown water for 5 mins)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PH and how to change it   PH and how to change it Empty

Back to top Go down

PH and how to change it
Page 1 of 1