Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Breeding Bristlenose, What effect to Hormones have? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Breeding Bristlenose, What effect to Hormones have? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Breeding Bristlenose, What effect to Hormones have?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Darren Balch
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Darren Balch

Male Number of posts : 71
Job/hobbies : Music, Fish, Beer, Xbox360 etc
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2009-12-09

Breeding Bristlenose, What effect to Hormones have? Empty
PostSubject: Breeding Bristlenose, What effect to Hormones have?   Breeding Bristlenose, What effect to Hormones have? EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 12:11 pm

Does anyone know if having many breeding tanks connected via the same sump would lead to an increased hormone level in the water triggering others to start spawning?

Or could you use water from a breeding pair setup to 'seed' your own setup with Hormones?

I am wondering if this may assist when trying to encourage the first spawn.

In theory I would have thought this may work assuming that the fish have a stable tank setup with spawning sites and all the usual triggers.

Whats does everyone think?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bristlenose, What effect to Hormones have?   Breeding Bristlenose, What effect to Hormones have? EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 10:36 pm

there is evidence that would suggest you are right.

There have been studies looking at hormones in several fish species and how they change spawning behaviour. Unfortunatly no studies have been done on the bristlenose, or any similar catfish so there is a lot of assumption going into this. the results show that some species do infact release hormones into the water that then triggers other fish to spawn, however, in other species the results indicates no such thing. I tend to lean towards bristlenose not being like that. they have other mechanisisms that trigger spawning, like the inflow of new water, temperature changes, pressure changes as well as their bristles trying to con females.

In terms of connecting your tanks together. there are many pros and cons to doing this. Pros include a larger body of water making it more stable, larger fitler meaning better water quality, simplier water changes and maybe some slight hormone transfur benifits (if in fact this is true). the cons are its more complicated to set up, they can be noisy, can be expensive, illnesses will infect all tanks rather than 1 and sump systems need to have good overflow control systems.

in the end most people use sump systems for convience rather than hormones. I havent heard that one way produces a higher spawn rate than the other. I dont have my tanks connected and frankly, if some of my breeders went any faster they would die from exhaustion. I actually seperate them to stop them spawning.

I do know however, that some people believe in the hormone theory.

I reckon we all chip in, get some cash together and i will do my post-doc on it Smile
Back to top Go down
crichards
Small Fry
Small Fry
crichards

Male Number of posts : 24
Humor : lol
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bristlenose, What effect to Hormones have?   Breeding Bristlenose, What effect to Hormones have? EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 7:33 am

This works great with angels, but can spread disease and wipe out all your stock if your not careful. Shocked
Back to top Go down
littlebristlenose
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 5
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2010-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bristlenose, What effect to Hormones have?   Breeding Bristlenose, What effect to Hormones have? EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 5:04 am

I believe that all fish can be help to breed from other fish spawning.
I have always used mollies in 6 types of fish to help them to breed and as you said Doug water conditions are the other factor.
I know that farmed fish in lots of Asian fish supplier do this a negetive to this does it weaken the gene's of the fish due to fish that wouldn't normally breed together do anyway.
Neons and some other supplied fish here have less chance of breeding due to this as they are alot weaker now than old imports from South America.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bristlenose, What effect to Hormones have?   Breeding Bristlenose, What effect to Hormones have? Empty

Back to top Go down

Breeding Bristlenose, What effect to Hormones have?
Page 1 of 1