Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

HELP! Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

HELP! Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HELP!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
laykoo
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
laykoo

Male Number of posts : 123
Job/hobbies : :)
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2010-06-11

HELP! Empty
PostSubject: HELP!   HELP! EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 4:43 am

ive been noticing on my longin albion redspots and small holes i think hes getting bashed by the big males Sad any suggestions ill try get a pic of it
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP!   HELP! EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 5:10 am

how many bristlenose do you have and in what sized tank? and how big are the males in question as well as the fella being attacked.

If they are fighting then it will be over territory. this happens when there is either too many males in a tank. I recommend 1 male per 1.5 square ft of tank, and 2 females per male. or it happens when there is simply not enough hiding places/caves. even if there was only two males in an 8 ft tank, if there is only one cave they will fight over it.

I would also does the tank with an antibiotic of som kind, i recommend melafix, just incase it gets infected.

Back to top Go down
laykoo
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
laykoo

HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP!   HELP! EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 5:22 am

the longfin is about 2-3cms on the body not including the fins... the males are about 10-11cms all up i have 3 peppermints 3-6cms 2 albino males 10-11cms 1 female albino 3-5cms and the longfin 2-3cms 4 ft tank
your always the 1st to answer my questions Very Happy

Last edited by laykoo on Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP!   HELP! EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 7:57 am

so you have all up 5 mature males, 1 mature female and the little longfin?

I would suggest that the males are getting a bit agressive as they are prob a bit to close for comfort. but i cant see why the little one would be copping it, unless its being a bit cheekie. I would add in some more stuff for them to hide in. more rocks, plants and logs. see if that helps.

Yeah, its cos all the brits are asleep Laughing
Back to top Go down
laykoo
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
laykoo

HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP!   HELP! EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 7:58 am

with the peppermints one of them is 6 cms hes male and the others are bout 3-4 cant tell yet... ill put some rocks and plants in thanks:D
Back to top Go down
june
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Female Number of posts : 286
Job/hobbies : Anything to help greyhound rescue, BNs, painting, veg growing
Humor : real life situations
Thank You Points : 19
Registration date : 2010-07-16

HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP!   HELP! EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 3:44 pm

I read what you said about stocking. My set up is proper wrong then!. I've had an albino male for about 5 years I think at least. I lost his 2 girls about 6 months apart. Never knew why. I bought 4 babies some time later when things had settled down and they all turned out to be males. I also got 2 brown babies and again both males so I had 7 males! Obviously several months had elapsed before I knew they were males. I was to be found every morning peering at them with a magnifying glass looking for bristles. lol! I recently bought 2 brown females and two albino females. I haven't seen any agression but have 6 terracotta caves, 3 bogwood caves and some made from stones placed like a wall to build a cave and one half coconut shell. The 'old' boy is the boss when it comes to food but apparently no competition for caves. I don't have a very big aquarium (Juwel 180l) but hope by the end of the year to have another the same and split the boys up. I have removed most of the live bearers to another tank ready to give to someone when he is ready and just have a few harlequins and tetras and I bought 12 tiny 'nano' fish. They are being sold locally with these tiny tanks which look awful IMO.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP!   HELP! EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 9:40 pm

as with any rule there are exceptions and ways to bend it.

Males need territory to guard and that is usually centered on a cave. if you have a largish tank (150ltrs+) and have totally loaded it with wood, caves, rocks etc then you will be able to bend the stocking rules a bit. its not what i would advocate but i have done it when moving breeders around or while adjusting my breeding tanks. I load up one of my larger tanks with lots of caves, wood, rocks, plants etc so that there is lots of places for the males to hide. having the males like this is not condicuive for breeding either. i have never had a spawn in an over crowded tank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP!   HELP! Empty

Back to top Go down

HELP!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Bristlenose Talk-
Jump to: