Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

why are my new bristlenose staying at the top of the tank gasping for air all the time? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

why are my new bristlenose staying at the top of the tank gasping for air all the time? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

why are my new bristlenose staying at the top of the tank gasping for air all the time?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bn_lover
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 5
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-08-22

why are my new bristlenose staying at the top of the tank gasping for air all the time? Empty
PostSubject: why are my new bristlenose staying at the top of the tank gasping for air all the time?   why are my new bristlenose staying at the top of the tank gasping for air all the time? EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 9:32 pm

i got some new bns a few days a go and there staying at the top of the tank always gasping for air i never see them eat when i give the the algae waffers is the ammonia or lack of oxgyn plzzzzz tell me im worried they will die!!
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

why are my new bristlenose staying at the top of the tank gasping for air all the time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why are my new bristlenose staying at the top of the tank gasping for air all the time?   why are my new bristlenose staying at the top of the tank gasping for air all the time? EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 9:52 pm

It's probably lack of oxygen.
Are you using an airpump? or does your filter have a venturi option? both these are methods to add extra oxygen.
If you don't have either of these options then move your filter outlet(if you can) so that it's rippling the surface.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: why are my new bristlenose staying at the top of the tank gasping for air all the time?   why are my new bristlenose staying at the top of the tank gasping for air all the time? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 10:50 pm

spot on! Very Happy

get some air into the tank ASAP! bristlenose come from fast flowwing rivrs in the amazon basin, picture where you would go white water rafting. Imagine how much O2 they are used too Smile
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

Male Number of posts : 973
Job/hobbies : Fitness Consultant, K9 Security
Thank You Points : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: i use venturi and air pump...   why are my new bristlenose staying at the top of the tank gasping for air all the time? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 12:29 am

i try to use the venturi as much as possible....

though have turned it off for a while and now using a air curtain, and couple of air stones... sometimes the venturi can cause too much algae to grow and adhere to the light reflectors on fluval tanks, so if your gonna go for the venturi drop the water level by about a inch in the tank if you can as it will make your reflectors last longer (thats if your tank depth allows the decrease)

oh and if you cant lift your outlet then put a obstacle infornt of it and you get the same effect...

sometimes i leave a floating fry saver in the tank just to blow the outlet air off as it helps disturb the water Smile

regards lj...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: why are my new bristlenose staying at the top of the tank gasping for air all the time?   why are my new bristlenose staying at the top of the tank gasping for air all the time? Empty

Back to top Go down

why are my new bristlenose staying at the top of the tank gasping for air all the time?
Page 1 of 1