Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Possible breeding tank or rearing tank? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Possible breeding tank or rearing tank? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Possible breeding tank or rearing tank?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Darren Balch
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Darren Balch

Male Number of posts : 71
Job/hobbies : Music, Fish, Beer, Xbox360 etc
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2009-12-09

Possible breeding tank or rearing tank? Empty
PostSubject: Possible breeding tank or rearing tank?   Possible breeding tank or rearing tank? EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 12:44 pm

I've been given a Aquael Hexagon Set II 60ltr Black Aquarium http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/aquariums/glass-aquariums/hexagon-aquarium-aquael-black.html and am wondering if i could use it for trying to spawn a single pair of bristlenoses. My main concern is that the water surface area isnt as large as a rectangular tank of the same volume. My plan was to only have a pair or maybe 2 females and 1 male in the tank no other fish (was planning on using some spare mollies to help cycle the tank initially and then remove them.

What do you guys think, i'm not a fan of odd shapped tanks but i couldnt turn down a free tank.

Decor would be sand, 3 or 4 caves (slate or coconut). Some long reedy plants, some mopani wood twigs/sticks. Hopefully simple but still intetesting for the fish to investigate.

Any thoughts or advice greatfully received.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Possible breeding tank or rearing tank?   Possible breeding tank or rearing tank? EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 11:04 pm

would be fine for a singe pair i reckon.

In terms of surface area its easy to increase that. get some nice wood and throw it all in there Smile that way the caves will be hidden under it all so the males will feel safer and everyone has lots of wood/surface area to munch on Smile
Back to top Go down
Darren Balch
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Darren Balch

Male Number of posts : 71
Job/hobbies : Music, Fish, Beer, Xbox360 etc
Registration date : 2009-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Possible breeding tank or rearing tank?   Possible breeding tank or rearing tank? EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 12:17 pm

As always Doug thanks for the info, now trying to find a good source who will be able to supply we the BN's, my plan is to get hold 4 or 5 youngsters, hopefully longfin or albino or something different, and when they get old enough to sex i'll keep what i need for this project and sell the others or by then have more setups to incorporate them.

I already have a good supplier of some wood and slate caves. Might also make a coconut cave again myself to provide something different. I plan to keep a detailed log from day one which if i manage to keep up to date and have any successes i may be offically document.
Back to top Go down
lakatu
Small Fry
Small Fry

Male Number of posts : 32
Job/hobbies : Graphic Design (visual rhetoric)/Small Hatchery (plecos & tetras)
Registration date : 2010-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Possible breeding tank or rearing tank?   Possible breeding tank or rearing tank? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 5:38 pm

Often when you buy 4 or 5 youngsters they are siblings. They can be bred together but it's better to vary the genetics a bit.
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Possible breeding tank or rearing tank?   Possible breeding tank or rearing tank? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 5:59 pm

I agree with doug dazza............just ok for 1 pair.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Possible breeding tank or rearing tank?   Possible breeding tank or rearing tank? EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 1:37 am

Lakatu is right.

Buy your fish from several different breeders as that way they are ar less likely to be inbreed. and ask where the breeder got his stock. For example, I got my breeders from interstate, local and semi-local breeders and never breed ones i got from the same breeder.

Just out of interest, whats the experiment?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible breeding tank or rearing tank?   Possible breeding tank or rearing tank? Empty

Back to top Go down

Possible breeding tank or rearing tank?
Page 1 of 1