Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Fry Colouring??? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Fry Colouring??? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fry Colouring???

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
hxpikey
Small Fry
Small Fry
hxpikey

Male Number of posts : 28
Job/hobbies : Salesman/Fish, Rugby League!!
Humor : Twisted
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Fry Colouring??? Empty
PostSubject: Fry Colouring???   Fry Colouring??? EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 2:22 pm

Ok, so my longfin common male and my shortfin common female spawned at the begining of last month. As it was the the males first time and the fact he was under constant attack for another male I had at the time, there was only 12 surviving fry. Of those twelve, two are albinos and the rest are what I guess are common brown/black!

My question is this, how long does it take for fry to fully colour up?? The 10 fry that aren't albinos are seeming to take along time to look the same colouration as their parents. They seem to be on a sliding scale from fully black/brown to patchy black/brown and some have patches that from above look transparent! I still expect them to turn black/brown as they grow but they are 46 days old now, is this normal? I have seen some fry pictures on this forum and after 5 or 6 days the fry seem to have coloured up? Just wondered why mine are turning so slowly?

Cheers James
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107

Fry Colouring??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fry Colouring???   Fry Colouring??? EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 3:11 pm

Any chance of you posting any pictures?

Normally once the yolk sac has gone they are perfect miniature versions of the parents.

Back to top Go down
hxpikey
Small Fry
Small Fry
hxpikey

Fry Colouring??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fry Colouring???   Fry Colouring??? EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 3:17 pm

I haven't got any pictures as they are in my basement which is quite dim, so they don't turn out so good. I will try and get some pics this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Fry Colouring??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fry Colouring???   Fry Colouring??? EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 11:28 pm

interesting!

do you have any albino females? I'm just trying to see where the albino could have come from. But it looks like you have two commons both with the albino gene, so when they crossed you get the odd albino offspring. If this is the case then the slidding scale you mention may be the ones with both the albino gene and the common gene where the colour is taking longer to develop and prob wont be as dark as the pure commons ever.

Back to top Go down
Fat42b
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 34
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2010-06-28

Fry Colouring??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fry Colouring???   Fry Colouring??? EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 10:50 am

Doug wrote:
interesting!

do you have any albino females? I'm just trying to see where the albino could have come from. But it looks like you have two commons both with the albino gene, so when they crossed you get the odd albino offspring. If this is the case then the slidding scale you mention may be the ones with both the albino gene and the common gene where the colour is taking longer to develop and prob wont be as dark as the pure commons ever.

When I bread a calico male with different common females i thought, to start with, that I had all common's, however, about 2 weeks later the gold / orange started to develop in some of them. I know for sure that the females I had had albino genes but I didn't get any albinos in 3 batches! But then when he finally bread with the calico female I had about 50 calico's and only 5 albino's...

Gee this gene pool thing gets confusing!! Lol..!!
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Fry Colouring??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fry Colouring???   Fry Colouring??? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 1:03 am

if you wouldnt mind, add the counts to the thread i have going in the breeding section looking at crosses. very helpful for me Smile
Back to top Go down
Fat42b
Small Fry
Small Fry

Fry Colouring??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fry Colouring???   Fry Colouring??? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 1:18 am

Nor worries mate.

Just copy and pasted to your thread.

Pete
Back to top Go down
hxpikey
Small Fry
Small Fry
hxpikey

Fry Colouring??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fry Colouring???   Fry Colouring??? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 9:46 am

Doug wrote:
interesting!

No I don't have any Albinos in the tank, just the one common female and I had two common males. Had to remove one however due to fighting so just the two commons now. As I stated I keep the fry in the basement and the lighting is dim so I put three into a small measuring jug this weekend and took them upstairs into the light! ☀

Under closer inspection from above they have white spots and have some dark pigmentation, but it appears light, maybe greyish at the moment. They also have a slight pinkish colour to them. From the side view however, the pink colour is not visable and they look silverish/grey with white spots! I have never seen Calico fry before so I don't know if that could be a possabillity, I still think they will turn black though as they are slowly getting darker! 50 days old now so very slowly! lol!

I have some pics I will try and upload if I can work it out!
Back to top Go down
hxpikey
Small Fry
Small Fry
hxpikey

Fry Colouring??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fry Colouring???   Fry Colouring??? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 9:56 am

Fry Colouring??? 59955_10150268634810436_802780435_14943845_3541836_n

Fry Colouring??? 58891_10150268634835436_802780435_14943846_5226382_n
Back to top Go down
Fat42b
Small Fry
Small Fry

Fry Colouring??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fry Colouring???   Fry Colouring??? EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:54 pm

Definitely not calico but the parents MAY have the gene, hence the slightly more blotchy appearence.

We could start hypothesising on the different colouration being due to geographical origin of the parents, or the grand parents etc.. but considering the high likelihood of interbreeding down the line this would be a pointless exercise Smile

You may even just find that the lighter colouration could be from stress...?? (Just throwing ideas out there..)
Back to top Go down
hxpikey
Small Fry
Small Fry
hxpikey

Fry Colouring??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fry Colouring???   Fry Colouring??? EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Fat42b wrote:
Definitely not calico but the parents MAY have the gene, hence the slightly more blotchy appearence.

We could start hypothesising on the different colouration being due to geographical origin of the parents, or the grand parents etc.. but considering the high likelihood of interbreeding down the line this would be a pointless exercise Smile

You may even just find that the lighter colouration could be from stress...?? (Just throwing ideas out there..)

Cheers for the reply, to be honest I didn't really think anything of it until I came on here and saw lots of pictures of fry that were much darker than mine after 4 or 5 days. As it is my first batch I wasn't sure if anything was wrong, although they seem healthy and are growing well! As I say they are getting darker but taking a long time to do so! Strange really. scratch
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

Fry Colouring??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fry Colouring???   Fry Colouring??? EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 4:39 pm

its not normal as far as iam concerned...they do get stressed and change colour often but if they are constanly like this then are distressed or a different species of ancistrus...have you got any pics of the parents???
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
hxpikey
Small Fry
Small Fry
hxpikey

Fry Colouring??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fry Colouring???   Fry Colouring??? EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 7:15 pm

Curby wrote:
its not normal as far as iam concerned...they do get stressed and change colour often but if they are constanly like this then are distressed or a different species of ancistrus...have you got any pics of the parents???

I am pretty sure they are not distressed but they are this colour all the time and have been since they appeared out of the cave. Some are darker than others and there does seem to be a sliding scale from light to full black/brown. I don't have any pics of the female but she is a common short fin, pretty much I see on most of the photos on this website. I have a couple of the male that I will post below but there not that good so probably wont reveal much!

Do you think they could be ill Curby?

Fry Colouring??? N802780435_5674381_2755
Adult male

Fry Colouring??? N802780435_5674382_3732
Male Again

Fry Colouring??? N802780435_5674383_4707
Juvenile Male
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Fry Colouring??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fry Colouring???   Fry Colouring??? EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 4:21 am

nah, i reckon thats normal

I get some of those mustard looking fry every now and again. Its one of the quirks im trying to figure out. so far im clueles but it is more common with common x albino but does come every now and again with common x common.

I have grown several of them out and so far they all revert to normal colouring once they get to about 4-5 months. I have no idea why.

Last edited by Doug on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

Fry Colouring??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fry Colouring???   Fry Colouring??? EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 4:35 am

no iagree with doug they are normal, parents are commons..noprobz here...
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
Sponsored content

Fry Colouring??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fry Colouring???   Fry Colouring??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Fry Colouring???
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: The Breeding Cave-
Jump to: