Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses?

Go down 
+6
Stannyblade
Mooo
graham26
Doug
hxpikey
Darren Balch
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Darren Balch
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Darren Balch

Male Number of posts : 71
Job/hobbies : Music, Fish, Beer, Xbox360 etc
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2009-12-09

Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses? Empty
PostSubject: Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses?   Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses? EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 12:28 pm

My 4ft breeding tank is coming along nicely. After getting some great advice from Doug who has been as helpful as ever i am planning to add a small colony of cherry shrimps to help keep the sand turned over etc. In doing my research I am planning to use some java moss to make a couple of shelters for the shrimps and maybe on some of the coconut caves i have made.

My main question is after a bad experience with some foam used to bundling plants together are my adult bristlenoses likely to get caught in the Java Moss. My large bristlenose got his hooks caught after some stress skillfull scissor work i freed him but he seemed touch an go after that for a few days. Its bad enought loosing fish through dissease but through avoidable situations would be awful. Am I being over cautious? Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Darren
Back to top Go down
hxpikey
Small Fry
Small Fry
hxpikey

Male Number of posts : 28
Job/hobbies : Salesman/Fish, Rugby League!!
Humor : Twisted
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses?   Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses? EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 2:31 pm

I have java moss in with my Bristlenoses without any problems, they are more likey to get caught in the string I use to tie it to the wood! Never had one tangled in it any way!
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses?   Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses? EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 9:25 pm

yeah, i have different types of mosses, java included in my breeding tanks and never had an issue. in fact the fry seem to love it just as much as the shrimp do, great place for them to hide, eat and play.
Back to top Go down
graham26
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 40
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses?   Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses? EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 11:06 pm

No problems with moss 2 weak to trap a bristlenose
Back to top Go down
Mooo
V.I.P Member
Mooo

Female Number of posts : 957
Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : What?
Thank You Points : 36
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses?   Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses? EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 2:05 am

I have Java moss + others & Java ferns in my bn tanks. Your bns should be fine.

Love that you asked before tho...shows great care & dedication for your fish..Good work for posing the question.
More keepers should follow your lead.....
The only stoopid question is the one you didn't ask... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.livefish.com.au
Stannyblade
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Male Number of posts : 90
Job/hobbies : the blades
Registration date : 2010-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses?   Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses? EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 7:12 am

agree with the others. I have Java moss in all my tanks with bristlenoses in with no problems.
Back to top Go down
Big Dog
Small Fry
Small Fry
Big Dog

Number of posts : 31
Job/hobbies : Keeping fish and breeding plecos
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2010-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses?   Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 9:19 pm

I use Java moss and had no problems.
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

Male Number of posts : 973
Job/hobbies : Fitness Consultant, K9 Security
Thank You Points : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: java moss my next upgrade...   Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 10:42 pm

when I set the new tanks up will more than likely
go for java moss too....
Back to top Go down
TopAz
Small Fry
Small Fry
TopAz

Female Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses?   Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses? EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 12:49 pm

Java moss... always cheers .

Accidents do sometimes occur ( i have even had angelfish which seemingly have been caught up in it and have died) but they are normally a freak occurance and should not be a cause for concern. Cool

It is my opinion that the fish are most likely already stressed because of being "freaked out" somehow and then just get ultrastressed when they accidently become entangled or trapped in any way. :roll:

Which is why it is a good idea to avoid cluttery setups if planning on having fish near a high activity zone of the home or office, which ultimately should be avoided anyhow if possible Very Happy .

But yeah java moss is all good ☀
Back to top Go down
Dominic
Small Fry
Small Fry

Male Number of posts : 25
Humor : Yes please :)
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses?   Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses? EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 4:13 pm

Personally, i think RCS are very entertaining to watch, they bring so much life to the tank :P
Anyway, I'm still fresh to running a tank but with my RCS I bought a reasonably sized rock from a nursery, with alot of natural cracks and holes in it small enough for them to fit in. I found that it benfited both the BN and shrimps Smile Also, i have an anubias log in there, and in between the roots of the plant and drift wood it creates the perfect hiding spots for younger shrimps. I've been wedging half an algae disc in there for them and it stops the BN or other fish from getting to their food too. If they're still alive tomorrow (nitrite spike Sad ) i will hopefully try to get pictures of it to give you an idea if you like Smile

Kind regards,
Dom
Back to top Go down
Dominic
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses?   Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses? EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 5:37 am

I'm having trouble uploading the picture Sad
Back to top Go down
Dominic
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses?   Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses? EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 5:42 am

Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses? 16102012

Haha got it working Very Happy Well yee it's a bit blurred but I tihkn you get the idea hey? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dominic
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses?   Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses? EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 5:47 am

Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses? 16102013

Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses? 16102014
Can't remember the name of this plant but they seem to like it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses?   Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses? Empty

Back to top Go down

Java Moss - Suitable or not for bristlenoses?
Page 1 of 1