Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Breeding Or Not ??? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Breeding Or Not ??? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Breeding Or Not ???

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
peterclarke666
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
peterclarke666

Male Number of posts : 112
Job/hobbies : fish keeping, bmxing, gears of war 2
Humor : thats what she said !!!!!!
Thank You Points : 3
Registration date : 2010-08-19

Breeding Or Not ??? Empty
PostSubject: Breeding Or Not ???   Breeding Or Not ??? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 8:19 pm

ive never breed bristlenose before and ive tried looking on youtube but havn't found anything to help
im curious as to if my bristlenose are breeding or not heres whats been happening .....

i have a male thats around 3inches .... he stays around the cave all the time fanning
what i asume to be females go in there with him from time to time ......
he warns all the smaller BN's away .... even my kribs

is this just flirting and inviting the females in .... or are they infact breeding ?

any help would be great as like i said im a 1st timer at breeding ..... ive read curbys "sticky post" on breeding but doesnt have what im looking for .... still helpfull knowledge though lol

will try and get a video ..... but need to get new batteries for the camera 1st

many thanks
Back to top Go down
http://chesterfield-aquarist-society.webeden.co.uk/
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Or Not ???   Breeding Or Not ??? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 9:00 pm

I don't know if you've seen the video on the post HERE

It might not be what your looking for but it's very interesting anyway.
Back to top Go down
peterclarke666
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
peterclarke666

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Or Not ???   Breeding Or Not ??? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 9:12 pm

yh thanks ive seen that one but not realy a help for what im after as i myself can't see in the tubes and what there doing
ive looked up breeding behavour but found nothing that helps or shows from the outside what they do or look like etc
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

Male Number of posts : 973
Job/hobbies : Fitness Consultant, K9 Security
Thank You Points : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: testing the cave, male bristlenose fanning is learning!   Breeding Or Not ??? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 9:41 pm

Peter,

sounds a little like pleco / bristlenose courtship to me mate.

mine do that usually about 3 to 4 weeks before the female is full of eggs.

I do not doubt some one else may have different advise - as all fish vary some what in behaviour.

The main thing right now is the male is fanning which means he is getting ready to nurture the eggs when they arrive,
and the female is testing the water / cave (sorry for the pun..lol).

I would not move the cave in any way as yet, some people move the cave to check it out for eggs, I from personal experience know that if you move the cave then it could set courtship back a couple of days or weeks. It will more than likely not scare the male, since moving the cave to another location in the tank I tend to do about every 6-10 weeks during cleaning the substrate.

Just observe and learn their behaviour, that is part of the fish keeping experience.

I sometimes make a note in a diary of their behaviour just incase there is any trends shown.

My female sometimes resembles the exact same behaviour that you describe, and now and again it is just part of pleco playfulness with each other, at other time's courting behaviour.....

Good luck and enjoy.....

LJ
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Or Not ???   Breeding Or Not ??? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 10:30 pm

def breeding behaviour. What you might find is that the males have matured but the females are not quite there yet. I would leave them be for the time being as they are getting there. cant rush love!
Back to top Go down
peterclarke666
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
peterclarke666

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Or Not ???   Breeding Or Not ??? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 11:12 pm

cheers guys ..... thanks for that .... i do intend to leave them to it but was just curious as to if its a courtship or actual breeding as i do know that they fan the eggs so once i saw him doing that it sorta clicked ohhhh wait could be a possiblity here ..... LJ the females that keep going in there are they batch i got from you a while back lol
Back to top Go down
graham26
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 40
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Or Not ???   Breeding Or Not ??? EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 2:29 am

shine a torch into cave so you can see whats happening i do it every day so the fish get used to it & dont spook easily
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Or Not ???   Breeding Or Not ??? EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 2:34 am

some fish wont mind the torch, others will freak out. I have both, some of my males dont care if i take the cave for a walk around the block, whiile others boot the eggs if i turn the lights on after the timer turns them off. If you are wondering what is going on, i suggest waiting for a while, torching a brand new male is not a good idea IMO, but that said i can def see the logic in Graham's idea Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Or Not ???   Breeding Or Not ??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Breeding Or Not ???
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: The Breeding Cave-
Jump to: