Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Help! One Bristlenose passed, don't want to loose any other fish

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
shakerbend
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Female Number of posts : 1
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-11-26

PostSubject: Help! One Bristlenose passed, don't want to loose any other fish   Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:50 am

Hi. I have a 72 gallon bowfront tank that has been up and running for about 3 months. It was seeded with 2 hydro sponges (both heavily seeded), has a eheim 2217 canister filter, about a 3 inch PFS substrate, and limestock and slate rocks for caves. I have 8 demasonis, 4 yellow labs, a syndontis multipunctatis catfish. I just bought 2 bristle nose plecos 3 days ago and added to the tank. Water parameters are ammonia-0.15, pH- 8.3, nitrite- 0, nitrate- 2.5. I run 78 degrees in the tank. I have 2 demasonis and 1 yellow lab holding at the present time. I feed NLS 1mm sinking pellets in the mornings and only spiralina flakes at night, 6 days a week, fasting them on Sundays. I put the bristlenoses in the DT 3 days ago (I buy all my fish from one guy and had never had to quarantine before, so I didn't this time). The day after putting them in the tank, we noticed the biggest pleco had yellowish-gold dust on her, with bruising type areas on her body. She was very lethargic and woudn't eat. We removed her and put her in a QT, treated with Mardel Coppersafe according to directions, woke up this morning and she had passed on. In the meantime, we noticed the same type dust on the other pleco that is still the main tank along with the cichlids and catfish. Some of the cichlids are scratching on the rocks and sands more frequently than they usually do. They are still eating, but unsure if the pleco is eating or is or not lethargic. He just stays in on one rock. The pleco in the tank has not started showing any signs of the bruising areas that i can see. Could really use info quickly to know if I should treat the whole tank with Mardel Coppersafe. If I do, will it kill all my beneficial bacteria or hurt my cichlids, catfish or the bristlenose pleco. Would like to get treatment started ASAP so I don't loose my fish! Please help!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Help! One Bristlenose passed, don't want to loose any other fish   Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:11 am

Unfortuantly, i think the meds may have killed the first one. Bristlenose are scaleless fish and 90% of meds need to be run at half dose or less.

Not sure what the issue was though. I havent really heard of anything like that before. I would give the whole tank a general dose of melafix and pimafix to start with then see if you can get a pic of the sick fish to help us out Smile

GO TO www.keepingandbreedingbristlenose.com FOR YOUR COPY!!

Like my book - why not "Like" it on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Keeping-and-Breeding-Bristlenose-Catfish/142417842474993
Click here to vote for Bristlenose World
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Curby
The Boss
The Boss

Male Number of posts : 3578
Job/hobbies : Killing Zombies.....
Humor : Not Reet int Yed!! /Lee Evans/John Bishop..:)
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Help! One Bristlenose passed, don't want to loose any other fish   Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:47 am

Unless you post a pic of what it looks like then we will have an hard time diagnosing the problem...Pics are a must when fighting a problem .....

Dont Forget to hit the AquaRank Logo at the top of the forum page it looks just like this.VVV...........

Click here to vote for Bristlenose World

Visit BristlenoseWorld on Facebook..Sign up Please...
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/group.php?gid=151223290672
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bristlenoseworld.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help! One Bristlenose passed, don't want to loose any other fish   Today at 2:27 am

Back to top Go down

Help! One Bristlenose passed, don't want to loose any other fish
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1