Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Sexing/ageing Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Sexing/ageing Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sexing/ageing

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
tiffanyjayne
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
tiffanyjayne

Female Number of posts : 85
Job/hobbies : General life coach
Humor : Dry Wit
Thank You Points : 11
Registration date : 2010-12-08

Sexing/ageing Empty
PostSubject: Sexing/ageing   Sexing/ageing EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 12:11 pm

Ok so i've always like catfish in the sence i'd buy a bn because it was cute and stick it in a tank on it's own.
But i always assumed size meant age...i recently discovered this is not the case with catfish and bn especially, so my question is.....if i buy a longfin how do i know roughly how old it is? and if it's by size do i measure just the body or the tail aswell?
If not how can i tell ? is there a certain feature such as the bristles between the eyes that only begin to grow once they reach a certain age or something else?
Or is it just hit and miss with them?
Back to top Go down
tilkifox
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
tilkifox

Female Number of posts : 300
Humor : Strange!
Thank You Points : 13
Registration date : 2010-11-27

Sexing/ageing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sexing/ageing   Sexing/ageing EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 12:51 pm

I have been looking into this too...
When I went to get my longfins I was told they were 2" but didnt realise she ment the tail aswell so they were tiny in the body. Smaller than I like to buy them at...
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Sexing/ageing Empty
PostSubject: Sexing/ageing   Sexing/ageing EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 1:09 pm

Longfins are best measured on body size, the length from the snout to the start of the tail.

On average a common BN will reach breeding size (5-6cms) at about 10 months, but longfins are slower growing so would probably reach maturity later. As you say growth rate is affected by so many things you could never know the age of a fish just by looking at it, even fish kept under optimum conditions will grow at different rates.

If your looking for BN's reaching breeding size then your looking for bristles starting to grow on the males and females will starting to get gravid.
Back to top Go down

Sexing/ageing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Bristlenose Talk-
Jump to: