Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Moral dilemma Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Moral dilemma Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Moral dilemma

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
june
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Female Number of posts : 286
Job/hobbies : Anything to help greyhound rescue, BNs, painting, veg growing
Humor : real life situations
Thank You Points : 19
Registration date : 2010-07-16

Moral dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Moral dilemma   Moral dilemma EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 7:04 pm

As I have mentioned elsewhere I have just sold a batch of 94 babies to two different places. I accidentally left two in the tank and I have another tank with younger babies from two spawns of the same parents. I really don't want these as I don't want them to become inbred nor will I have room as they grow up, but what to do with them?
Two weeks ago I was lucky enough to find a pair of red juveniles. The male had just started to show his bristles. Last Thursday the little (1.75") female was flirting with a large brown BN by poking him and generally being annoying as I thought. By that evening he was guarding eggs so I am wondering if they are hers even though she's so small. I had decided not to save any more babies but to let nature take its course but will save these as they may be red babies.
I'm not sure I will ever be able to leave any to be eaten as soon as they leave the nest. They definitely will be, as they linger on the glass they will be picked off by the zebra loaches and large platys.
Has anyone else got this problem and what do you do?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Moral dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moral dilemma   Moral dilemma EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 5:03 am

Fry savers are great for a temporary solution. Get one that is big enough to house the cave and move the cave into the saver, this way the babies will be able to leave the cave safe and sound. In terms of what to do after that here is what i used to do.

Keep a plastic tub around. Fill it with water when it becomes aparent that you will need a temposry spot to keep the fry. fill it up and set it up like a normal tank (filter, heater etc). Let it cycle while the fry ares still in the fry saver in the main tank. When they fry are getting too crowded in the fry saver and the tub is cycled then move them over. then when the fry are ready to sell you can sell them and then shut down the tank. easy done Smile

just a quick note! make sure you are careful with the plastic. I only recommend using plastic tubs to people who know what they are doing and are wise enough! the heater will melt the plastic if it gets a chance too so make sure your heater is held off the plastic and secondly make sure you use food grade plastic.
Back to top Go down
june
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Moral dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moral dilemma   Moral dilemma EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 2:41 pm

Thanks Doug but I've done the 'saving' bit but 94 large babies got too much to keep fed and properly filtered so they had to go.
I didn't find it easy to find people who wanted them. I still have some left and cant put them in my main tank as it would be too many when they grow so I still have them to go somewhere although they can be a bit bigger yet.
Apparently there's a glut of them.
So, do I leave all eggs in the main tank for the babies to be eaten? I find this hard and probably wont be able to do this but what to do with the babies? I suppose nature intends most to be eaten so one shouldn't interfere.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Moral dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moral dilemma   Moral dilemma EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 10:51 pm

What i would do in that case is i would throw in everything i have into the tank (rocks and wood) to make as many hidy holes as possible and then leave it. some of the babies will get eaten but some will survive and they wont be big enough to really impact the tank for a few months, by wich stage they will be sellable.
Back to top Go down
june
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Moral dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moral dilemma   Moral dilemma EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 7:25 pm

That's a great idea. Catching them will be fun. Couldn't have done it with 94 tho LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Moral dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moral dilemma   Moral dilemma Empty

Back to top Go down

Moral dilemma
Page 1 of 1