Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Breeding options Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Breeding options Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Breeding options

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Pleco James
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Pleco James

Male Number of posts : 243
Job/hobbies : Fishkeeping, Cricket, Rowing, Fishing, Camping
Humor : Michael McIntyre and Rhod Gilbert
Thank You Points : 11
Registration date : 2011-02-15

Breeding options Empty
PostSubject: Breeding options   Breeding options EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 11:01 pm

OK, so i have a few possible options for breeding BNs, i will try to make this as detailed as possible without it being too confusing...

1: Breeding the BNs in a 6 foot tank and not moving the cave, and using a fry saver to grow the fry big enough to not get eaten by bigger fish, then re-introduce the fry into the tank...

Problems: The BNs need a cold water change to trigger the spawning, would this stress out other fish in the community aquarium. It would be incredibly difficult to catch all the fry for selling, this could stress out the fry, and other fish. May need extra filter that take up room. Breeding may almost ruin the community/display tank look.

2: Breeding in 6 foot tank and moving male to a 125 litre to raise fry.

Problems: Would it be a bit difficult to get the cave from a 6 foot tank, (it is quite high edged). Would it be too difficult to match the water conditions. this also has the water change problem.

3: Breeding and raising fry in 125 litre. This makes extra filters easier to maintain.

Problems: Would the tank be too small. Room for putting the tank. Would have to buy a lot of extra stuff, (bogwood e.t.c, (not too much of a problem))

Please tell me if i may have missed anything out, please add any other options you may think of, hope it is not too much affraid
I would have sponge and extra power filters ready and will also have a fry saver that uses its own pump that uses water from the main tank ready for use.

Thanks, any help appreciated Very Happy

James
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Breeding options Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding options   Breeding options EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 11:03 pm

like i have always said...3. keep breeding and display seperate Smile you can stash the breeding tank anywhere. mine are in the spare room, other people i know keep them in a garage or shed. doesnt have to look pretty, just has to do the job.
Back to top Go down
Pleco James
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Pleco James

Male Number of posts : 243
Job/hobbies : Fishkeeping, Cricket, Rowing, Fishing, Camping
Humor : Michael McIntyre and Rhod Gilbert
Thank You Points : 11
Registration date : 2011-02-15

Breeding options Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding options   Breeding options EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 11:17 pm

OK, should i try to get a bigger one or would 125 litres be big enough? much appreciated help cheers
I will try to think of a place to put the breeding tank

Would you recommend keeping a few of the fry to help with algae levels in the display tank? if so this would be great, its nice to see a little bristlenose in a tank Very Happy

Thanks for the supreme help Very Happy

James

PS: do you recommend a tank divider for a breeding tank to give the male and female a rest between spawns and to let the fry grow so that i can sell them, so that i am not over run with baby bristlenoses? and if so would i need to do a cold water change to trigger a spawn again. I know...once angain tons of questions...sorry... Embarassed

Thanks again cheers

James
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Breeding options Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding options   Breeding options Empty

Back to top Go down

Breeding options
Page 1 of 1