Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!

Go down 
+5
june
jim.and
Doug
peppermint23
kfenk
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 2:44 am

Its a good thing just bad timing i guess. My male is currently on eggs... YAY! cheers but unfortunately i found that out while i was catching the L002s and L333 out of the pep tank. I hope i didnt disturb him too much, fingers crossed he doesnt boot the eggs or somethin b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! Icon_fingers_crossed_emoticon Hmm so its been nearly 3 months since the first time they bred. interesting to know....
Back to top Go down
peppermint23
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
peppermint23

Female Number of posts : 99
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 3:55 am

cheers that's great news! Smile now if only my peppermints could do the same thing! have you got water parameters? keep us updated Smile
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 4:30 am

Don't think it's the water parameters that make a difference for me. Thing is I got them as a proven breeding pair. Just like common bristlenoses they will breed in assorted water types. Guessing it just comes down to both the male and female being ready
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 5:27 am

good work Smile

fingers crossed he doesnt boot them Smile
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 5:32 am

All good so far. Havnt gone near the tank since removing the Ls and he's currently fanning like crazy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 10:19 am

Good luck with them, I hope everything goes OK. cheers
Back to top Go down
june
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Female Number of posts : 286
Job/hobbies : Anything to help greyhound rescue, BNs, painting, veg growing
Humor : real life situations
Thank You Points : 19
Registration date : 2010-07-16

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 10:49 am

Good luck with these babies. It sounds like you need more of these unusual types in Oz.
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 10:59 am

If that's your way of saying your willing to smuggle us in some L144s or Super Reds then b our guest lol. As for all your fancy L# bns, I'll stick with what we got. All these poor wild caught fish ripped from there native habitat and put in a glass cage is what Australia is stopping coming in, gimme fancy tank bred mutants anyday Very Happy
Back to top Go down
june
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 11:12 am

I find that hurtful. I would never condone 'ripping' fish or anything else from the wild. All of them, yours and mine, were caught at some time. If you keep up with the news you might have read about the natural habitat of many are likely to be destroyed in Brazil. Hopefully in a small way we do the fish, in general, a small favour by keeping them properly and learning about them.
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 11:51 am

I'd agree more fish are lost through the destruction of habitat than through the aquarium trade. I'm not saying it's right to take fish from the wild only that it is small part of a bigger problem.

Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 11:54 am

I wasnt trying to have a rip at you, was just stating that one of the reasons australia dont allow import is to prevent the wild caught ones getting in (yes i know there are other reasons too Doug :roll:) . strangely enough is theres still plenty of wild caught other species getting in. but thats just us. other country's have there own rules. like i said i like my tank bred fish and not really that big on wilds. i know all to well on whats happening over seas and how the poor L046 could well become extinct in the wild with this stupid dam being built. i know all fish came from the wild from some point and that without that there wouldnt b this wonderful hobby we have. but as i see it theres still plenty of other fish available that arent caught from the wild and so many variants of different species to choose from, ill always b a happy chappy Very Happy

Now how did this thread move away from my original post Sad Happy to report Mr Pep is still in his cave fanning away cheers chucked some food in there for the girlies and the fish are now put to bed. Will have to give an update in the morning and see if i can get hold of this other pep pair tomorrow. I want to be overrun with the little suckers asap lol!
Back to top Go down
june
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 2:13 pm

No hard feelings. We are trying our best to be the ones who care for all animals. My 'thing' is rescued ex racing greyhounds who are in the main treated abominably when they stop winning races. I will do anything I can to help them.

I hope you do get overrun.

Night night.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 11:28 pm

the reasons catfish were banned from australia was the explosion of introduced carp in the local waterways. One of the biggest issues facing the unblocking of bristlenose importation is not that they are taken from the wild (and yes it is a concern) but more so the fact that the evidence suggests they will be able to naturalise into aussie waterways like the carp did. One expert in the field i know believes it will be 10 years before you find bristlenose loose is some of Australia's waterways. hence we are not allowed to import any more Sad

Personally, I say let us import tank bred ones and if someone is boneheaded enough to release theirs into a local waterway, send them to me where amoung the bamboo splinters under their nails and lost of genitals I will tell them why they were such an epic wanker, just before i put them into a alien habitat...the gulf with some new fancy cememt boots

anyway, yeah, massive off topic. Good to hear its all going well Karl.
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 11:54 pm

Strange that tho Doug considering how many years bn have been in australia and nothings happened... Some of these rules are a bit far fetched down here in South Australia. Honestly what bn would survive in our hostile weather? They'd def freeze in winter. And unfortunately due to the carp factor we can't keep koi down here either Sad Well not legally, still could get my hands on some if I wanted. Then there's the gambusia infestation (totally governments doing) so why are guppies and endlers still being allowed to be imported? I'm not complaining, I love my endlers and want more lol. What's the point of stopping fish that could possibly have an effect rather than the ones that already have? I just don't get the rules "stop these but these can come in" does my head trying to figure it out. There's also plenty of places cichlids are now roaming free. Yet we are only allowed to import 1 L# the L168 butterfly pleco, what about the rest? Not saying all fish should b banned but wondering why stop 1 species when they allow another that's already doing damage. Oh well I guess things are going to change this September.

Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 12:09 am

Oh and Mr Pep still fanning away Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 12:10 am

Its a matter of time to addapt. Experiments have been done that clearly indicate that in the northern parts of aus they are def able to live. They would not be able to live down here in SA without some serious adaption. however, with such a short generation time that adaption might be possible within several decades.

And it does my head in too. The rules are stupid cos they were made by a pencil pusher in an office miles away who was basing his/her thoughts of fear and hype pushed by people who were either un-informed or pushing another adgenda. however, with one foul swoop of his/her pencil we lost access to all the amazing fish we could have if we lived somewhere like the US or UK...or better still Germany (for fish keeping that is).

the bans really do need to be looked at, and the punishment for releasing pest fish should be jail time, and lots of it if my method of dealing with them breaks some sort of ethics or law. At the moment the law punishs those who do it right, because of the actions of those who did it wrong. not the fairest system ever.
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 2:44 pm

Update
Dad wasn't on eggs, I checked a week n a half ago as I was going to move the cave. So what happens? 2 days ago I find a pep fry on the glass. Little devils musta spawned after I checked on the male, go figure scratch

Here's what I came hm to find

b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! Fry
Back to top Go down
slantula
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 35
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-04-04

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 9:01 pm

Awsome news man congratulations. hope the same thing happens to me. i wasjust wondering what method of triggering u used cause even though u didnt know it u have obviously been successful.
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 1:50 pm

update, caught the little devils spread all over the tank tonight when i turned the light on. took a couple pics but this is the best i could come up with (seriously! im that hopeless with photography!)
finger got in the way top left so i photoshoped it lol
b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! Pepfry14mm

suction cup for the canister intake is exactly 33mm diam (give or take couple mm, as its not pressed up against the glass) so going by that the fry is approx 14mm long.
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 2:14 pm

Good Job They look so amazing at that size.

My photos of Peppermints always seem blurred, don't know if it's me or just that the camera can not handle the contrast with the spots.

Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 2:59 pm

probably comes down to the camera. my pictures are taken using my iphone, but i do have a digital camera. it just doesnt take to tanks fluro lighting too well, pics always come out awful
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 3:49 pm

got a good snapshot so thought id share cheers

b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! Peppy

and cropped for your viewing pleasure cheers

b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! Peppyzmd

photo was taken this time using my old sony ericsson C902 which turned out better as its 5.0mp. tried my digital camera but it just doesnt like the fluro tank light 😢
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 4:16 pm

They are looking good cheers

How many do you think you have Question
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 11:50 pm

Sorry wouldn't even be able to guess that. There's a few but they all hide alot so I don't get to see em much, like parents like fry lol
Back to top Go down
peppermint23
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
peppermint23

Female Number of posts : 99
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 12:31 am

aww so cute!! can't wait to see mine that size Smile awesome photos! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!   b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

b*%dy peppermint bristlenoses!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next