Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Multiple males? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Multiple males? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Multiple males?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Beaver411
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 21
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-06-01

Multiple males? Empty
PostSubject: Multiple males?   Multiple males? EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 12:09 am

Atm I have a 37 with a male and female and 10 guppy fry.
I'm leaning more and more into making that tank a BN breeding tank, but I was wondering how many BN I could keep in it. It has a filter made for a 75, driftwood, live plants and gravel bottom.
With sufficient water changes could 6 live happily in there(2 males, 4 females) or would it be better to just have 4(2 males, 2 females)?
The only thing that worries me is males fighting, there are plenty of hiding spots and caves so I don't THINK that would be to big of an issue, but I'm asking just to to be sure.

Beaver
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Multiple males? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multiple males?   Multiple males? EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 12:55 am

I'm assuming that it's 37 litres, if I'm correct then one pair/trio would have to be the option, a good rule of thumb is 1.5 sq ft per male, but even then the fry would soon have to be moved to a grow on tank.

Males can be very territorial when mature and although there may be plenty of hiding places a 37 litre would be to small for two males to breed in.

Ideally for Bn's the filter would need to filter 200 to 300 lires per hour.
Back to top Go down
Beaver411
Small Fry
Small Fry

Multiple males? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multiple males?   Multiple males? EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 12:58 am

Oh, sorry I didn't specify, its 37 US gallons, and the filter is rated for 75 US gallons. Embarassed

So that makes it 140.6 liter tank and the filter is for a 285 liter tank, I'm not sure how many liters/gallons per hour that is though.
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Multiple males? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multiple males?   Multiple males? EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 2:54 am

Going by what you say I would have to go with a trio for that size tank. Guessing it's a 3ft? I have 2 trios in a 4ft 55G and there's no fighting but my big male is the boss. When my smaller male was on eggs the big male kept stealing his cave Sad so I'm going to put a divider in there. Some people say 1ft territory per male but I like to play it safe with 2ft
Back to top Go down
Beaver411
Small Fry
Small Fry

Multiple males? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multiple males?   Multiple males? EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 3:21 am

Now that i'm thinking it over, 3 or 4 plec's(only one male) does seem better than 6, more room for the fry. Smile

Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Multiple males? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multiple males?   Multiple males? EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 3:24 am

Careful not to overwork your male tho pale
Back to top Go down
Beaver411
Small Fry
Small Fry

Multiple males? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multiple males?   Multiple males? EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 3:33 am

true that. I'm thinking of switching my male common with my male calico every few months to keep either one from getting tired out.
Would that stress them out too much?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Multiple males? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multiple males?   Multiple males? EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 9:13 am

nope, as long as you introduce them into the tank properly. if they are in slightly different water then you will have to aclimatise them properly. if the water is identical then i just throw them around Smile
Back to top Go down
Beaver411
Small Fry
Small Fry

Multiple males? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multiple males?   Multiple males? EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 5:27 pm

Oh ok cool, cause I have two males in two different tanks and my parents have a 72 gallon rainbow tank, and I saw a beautiful albino short finned male at my LFS, and we are going back there today, so he could live in the 72 till I decided to switch him into the 'breeding tank'...if my mom lets me get him, i'm broke right now. Laughing But my mom has let me set up a 110 gallon land hermit crab exhibit for my b-day last year, yea, shes pretty awesome.
Either way, headed to the LFS today to see what they have. Might end up getting some off aquabid or some other online source cause I really want some L144 and i've never seen those here. I like super red's, but if I was gonna get those, i'd want to breed just super reds, and not cross them, and I don't have a tank for that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Multiple males? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multiple males?   Multiple males? Empty

Back to top Go down

Multiple males?
Page 1 of 1