Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

baby bristlenose survival Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

baby bristlenose survival Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

baby bristlenose survival

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
linzi101
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 7
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-07-26

baby bristlenose survival Empty
PostSubject: baby bristlenose survival   baby bristlenose survival EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 4:21 pm

Hi,
I have been offered a BN baby for the grand price of 1 pound!
They are only 4 weeks old and so I am wondering what the chances are of survival? my tank is very established, been running for years and all is fine there. i was just a bit worried about feeding and stress levels for a 1-2 cm fish. I only want one as i feel that more than one adult wouldnt be happy in my 3 foot tank. what do you think?
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: baby bristlenose survival   baby bristlenose survival EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 5:44 pm

What kind of fish will it be going in with Question

Feedings not a problem,even at that size they will eat nearly everything adults eat and long as it's going in similar water conditions then stress should be minimal.

A single BN will be happy on it's own.

A lot of members started with one lol!
Back to top Go down
linzi101
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: baby bristlenose survival   baby bristlenose survival EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 6:03 pm

Hi,
it will be going in with peaceful species - guppies, mollies, neon tetra, rummynose tetra and juvinile clown loaches. I was just a bit worried about the stability of a BN this size and age. As you know fry do tend to die for no obvious reason and was concerned that the 4 week old may not be past this stage of uncertainty. I know that one would be fine (that is probably reading like "erm, yeah i know" but thats not how its meant Smile) but i waqs trying to say i couldnt buy two or three with the intention of keeping the survior as I wouldnt be able to house multiple survivors into adulthood.
thank you for your reply.
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: baby bristlenose survival   baby bristlenose survival EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 7:07 pm

If it had just been the guppies and tetras then a larger 4 week old would probably have been OK. Some members have reported mollies taking young BN's and clown loaches can be aggressive with BN's, usually over things like cave and hiding places. Personally I would not put a BN in a tank with clown loaches it would be outcompeted for food by the larger clowns, but others may have a different view.

Back to top Go down
jond4261
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
jond4261

Male Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Job: Electrician. Hobbies: Fish Keeping and watching Cricket.
Humor : sarcastic
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2010-11-30

PostSubject: Re: baby bristlenose survival   baby bristlenose survival EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 8:25 pm

As far as the loaches are concerned I think it depends on what size they are in comparison with the Bn.

A 4 week old Bn will only be about half an inch + in length and a 2 inch clown loach or bigger may just think it is a tasty morsel that you've put in for it.

Personally I would go for a bn of at least 1.5 inches at least. You should be able to pick something of this size up in one of the LFS around Nottingham for around £2 - £3 . At this size its much more liable to survive and not get eaten.

As far as the size of your tank (3 ft) you could house two or 3 adults quite happily (1 m 2 f). It would all depend on the number of other fish that you have and if your filter could cope...

Hope this helps

cheers

Jon

If you are unable to get one at 1.5 inches I've got a couple at this size and you are more than welcome to have one or two for free. Only thing is I live in Northampton and you'd have to come and pick it/them up.

Back to top Go down
linzi101
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: baby bristlenose survival   baby bristlenose survival EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 8:39 pm

thank you all for the replies.

As i have the three clown loaches, which will probably need rehousing as they get bigger, just one is about all i think the filter would cope with. I imagine i will fall in love and when the clowns move out more BN's will move in lol!

I told the person selling the babies that i dont think they are big enough to be sold right now (and as my step daughter gets attached i prefer to err on the side of caution) . This was my intial instinct hence my asking the question in the first place. As it happens I have just found someone selling some for 1.99 each which are 3 inches in length, I feel this would be safer!

Thank you again for your advice.

Lindsay

Back to top Go down
linzi101
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: baby bristlenose survival   baby bristlenose survival EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 8:42 pm

oh and thank you jon for your kind offer. I am in northampton every now and then as i have a friend there but it would be a fairly long drive back for the fish. as i said i have found a breeder close by and think this is kinder to the fish and my pockets (diesel not being as cheap as it used it be).

but really thank you for the offer, you dont get offered free fish very often!
Back to top Go down
jond4261
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
jond4261

Male Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Job: Electrician. Hobbies: Fish Keeping and watching Cricket.
Humor : sarcastic
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2010-11-30

PostSubject: Re: baby bristlenose survival   baby bristlenose survival EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 8:52 pm

No problem.

3 inches is a nice size and they can hold there own in the tank. They should also be sexable as the males should have started growing their bristles at this size.

cheers

Jon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: baby bristlenose survival   baby bristlenose survival Empty

Back to top Go down

baby bristlenose survival
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Bristlenose Issues-
Jump to: