Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Are Bristlenose OK in C02 tanks? Odd Behavior. Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Are Bristlenose OK in C02 tanks? Odd Behavior. Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Are Bristlenose OK in C02 tanks? Odd Behavior.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lhafvens
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Female Number of posts : 2
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-08-15

Are Bristlenose OK in C02 tanks? Odd Behavior. Empty
PostSubject: Are Bristlenose OK in C02 tanks? Odd Behavior.   Are Bristlenose OK in C02 tanks? Odd Behavior. EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 1:56 am

I moved my 1.5 year-old bristlenose to a newly setup C02 tank yesterday and he has been happily munching on brown algae for the past 30 hours but a few hours ago I noticed some odd behavior where he was lying upside down under some driftwood "unstuck". I've never seen him do this before so I started to do some research and have read in a few places online that plecostomus don't like C02. But perhaps he has overeaten (previous tank didn't have much algae), or is just adjusting to new environment? The minute I nudge him he scurries off. Any insight here appreciated, do not want to risk losing him. Tank is 25 gallons, pH 7.0, KH 6, GH 7, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, water temperature 79f. He is the only fish in it at the moment.
Back to top Go down
butterfly
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
butterfly

Female Number of posts : 152
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2011-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Are Bristlenose OK in C02 tanks? Odd Behavior.   Are Bristlenose OK in C02 tanks? Odd Behavior. EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 3:20 am

Not sure about co2 since I don't have it but my bristlenose frequently display the same behabiour. I think they are rasping on my wood and go to sleep. When I disturb them they jump and go on about their business Smile

What happens when you disturb yours during this behaviour?
Carol
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Are Bristlenose OK in C02 tanks? Odd Behavior.   Are Bristlenose OK in C02 tanks? Odd Behavior. EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 4:00 am

Yea sounds like normal behavior, bn have funny personalities I'll tell u that lol
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Are Bristlenose OK in C02 tanks? Odd Behavior.   Are Bristlenose OK in C02 tanks? Odd Behavior. EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 4:14 am

hrmmm, there are two issues that you need to look at. Firstly, Is the conc of CO2 too high? Now this is nothing to do with the amount of oxygen in the water, this is to do with the conc of CO2. If the concentration of CO2 is too high then no matter how hard the fish 'breathe' they can not get rid of the CO2 in their blood. Think about what happens if you pull the covers over your head, the conc of CO2 in the air goes up and no matter how hard you breathe you are still short of air.

the second is just the odd behaviour they have of sleeping like that. silly things they are

I learnt that one the hard way.

I now have a trio of peps in my CO2 tank and they look like they are gearing up to breed so YAY! cheers
Back to top Go down
lhafvens
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Female Number of posts : 2
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Are Bristlenose OK in C02 tanks? Odd Behavior.   Are Bristlenose OK in C02 tanks? Odd Behavior. EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 3:29 pm

Thank you all so much for the feedback and to put my mind at ease a little. He (though after looking around a bit here I suspect he might be a she!) was very active overnight and seems fine this a.m. so I am very hopeful that all is OK. Like yours Carol, when I disturbed his "sleep" he scurried off to a hiding place. Doug, will keep a close eye and also get a drop checker or something to verify the concentration of CO2. It is metered with a pH controller but you can never be too sure.

So grateful for this forum and thanks again for your responses.

Lauri
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Are Bristlenose OK in C02 tanks? Odd Behavior.   Are Bristlenose OK in C02 tanks? Odd Behavior. EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 4:26 am

to figure out the co2 conc you need to know the pH and the KH as these two things interact to influence the CO2 conc.

use this table to help figure out the CO2 conc in your tank Smile

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/plants/Podio_CO2_KH_PH_Chart.html -

CO2: KH/PH Chart
By Giancarlo Podio
Aquarticles.com

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are Bristlenose OK in C02 tanks? Odd Behavior.   Are Bristlenose OK in C02 tanks? Odd Behavior. Empty

Back to top Go down

Are Bristlenose OK in C02 tanks? Odd Behavior.
Page 1 of 1