Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

humm, what caused the burn hole / indent Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

humm, what caused the burn hole / indent Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

humm, what caused the burn hole / indent

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
davew
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
davew

Number of posts : 172
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-07-26

humm, what caused the burn hole / indent Empty
PostSubject: humm, what caused the burn hole / indent   humm, what caused the burn hole / indent EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 4:00 pm

Hi guys,

got a question for ya......

i bought a used tank a while back, was a 180l i think, and it has come to my attention that there is a hole/divet in the glass, about 2cm in diameter, the hole did not go all the way through the glass, i think maybe about 1/2 way into it, it does not leak and it is not getting bigger!

it looks like either a marble has be rubbing into it, although its a very specific looking hole, or maybe a heater was resting against it ????

basically if you dropped a golf ball into the sand and then took it out it looks like the remaining dent, (but has not gone all the way through,

anyway, despite what caused it....i need to fix it,

it is towards the bottom of the tank so i guess i need to do something with it,

was wondering if using epoxie resin or silicone to fill the hole and smooth around it a little to take some of the stress,

whether i should buy a new pain of glass and re-fix the tank (don't really want to do that)

or if anyone has ever come across anything similar.....

all the best,

Dave

Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: humm, what caused the burn hole / indent   humm, what caused the burn hole / indent EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 8:04 pm

I'm wondering if the hole/divet was there originally and the tank was a second and sold at buyers risk.

If you want to take the risk then I suppose you could fill it with aquarium silicone or silicone a glass patch over it.

Back to top Go down
Silvashadow
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Silvashadow

Female Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Quest for the unusual plecos!
Humor : Om nom nom?
Thank You Points : 19
Registration date : 2011-05-09

PostSubject: Re: humm, what caused the burn hole / indent   humm, what caused the burn hole / indent EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 3:31 pm

I would say the easiest and cheapest way is the use aquarium safe silicone.

Fill the hole and maybe a couple centimeters around the outside of the hole as well, then perhaps strengthen the glass off the opposite side and patch it with the silicone, matching the size of your other patch. That way both sides have extra strength and aquarium safe stuff wont harm the fish.

Hope that helps Smile
Back to top Go down
davew
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
davew

PostSubject: Re: humm, what caused the burn hole / indent   humm, what caused the burn hole / indent EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 10:30 pm

humm, well the tank has been full of water for about 4 months so i dont think its going to be a problem, but to be save when i have my move around i'm going to silcone in a peice of glass i think, beter safe than sorry i guess Smile

cheers guys,

Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: humm, what caused the burn hole / indent   humm, what caused the burn hole / indent EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 2:15 am

High davew , it all depends wether the hole - divet, was cast into the glass or has broken out for some reason if its broken out- then definatly a patch would be required , you would be surprised as to how much pressure a manufactured imperfection will hold ( but still a patch would serve for piece of mind)

cheers J
Back to top Go down
OwNz
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Male Number of posts : 185
Job/hobbies : Fish Keeping
Thank You Points : 14
Registration date : 2009-08-02

PostSubject: Re: humm, what caused the burn hole / indent   humm, what caused the burn hole / indent EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 11:23 am

sounds like some one tried to drill a sump hole imo and stopped half way threw
Back to top Go down
davew
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
davew

PostSubject: Re: humm, what caused the burn hole / indent   humm, what caused the burn hole / indent EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 12:41 pm

hummmm sump hole, its in a bit of a random place for that, on the side of the tank off center towards the front,

its a very smooth indent not jagged at all, guess i'm never going to know,

so i take it my best fix will be to fill the indent with silicon, and then silicon a piece of glass over it,

for the sake of not making it so random think i'll use a piece that runs the entire width of the tank,

cheers guys,

ps if you disagree let me know,

Dave
Back to top Go down
Silvashadow
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Silvashadow

Female Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Quest for the unusual plecos!
Humor : Om nom nom?
Thank You Points : 19
Registration date : 2011-05-09

PostSubject: Re: humm, what caused the burn hole / indent   humm, what caused the burn hole / indent EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 6:13 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me, and an even better idea to have the random bit of glass run the width of the tank. That'll make it look much better than one little block Smile
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: humm, what caused the burn hole / indent   humm, what caused the burn hole / indent EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 9:45 pm

Silvashadow wrote:
Sounds like a good idea to me, and an even better idea to have the random bit of glass run the width of the tank. That'll make it look much better than one little block Smile

I'll 2nd that Good Job
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: humm, what caused the burn hole / indent   humm, what caused the burn hole / indent Empty

Back to top Go down

humm, what caused the burn hole / indent
Page 1 of 1