Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Calfornia Driftwood Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Calfornia Driftwood Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Calfornia Driftwood

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Eaglehorsesmom
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Eaglehorsesmom

Female Number of posts : 43
Job/hobbies : Working on disability. Writting Riddick fan fics and watching our Plecos
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-02-24

Calfornia Driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Calfornia Driftwood   Calfornia Driftwood EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 12:32 am

While my daughter was spending the summer with my Mom, she picked up a heart-shaped piece of driftwood at the beach in Northern Ca. It's almost as big around as a soccer ball....almost. My question is how do I make it sink? I've had it soaking for about two weeks to get rid of the extra salt and tannin, but it just won't sink. I've placed it into hot tap water tonight, mind you our hot tap water is hot enough to boil oatmeat and noodles. When I decide to place it should I place a rock on top or what?
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Calfornia Driftwood   Calfornia Driftwood EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 12:42 am

Some driftwood can take months to sink, just depends on the wood. Actually boiling it is the best idea but like you I don't have a pot big enough lol. I'd say tie a rock to it or sit a rock on top. That's how I got my grape vine log to sink, just sat a rock on top Very Happy
Back to top Go down
butterfly
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
butterfly

Female Number of posts : 152
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2011-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Calfornia Driftwood   Calfornia Driftwood EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 2:34 am

If I get a piece too big/ too buoyant to sink I attach a heavy flat rock to the bottom with stainless steel screws. Then I hide the rock under the substrate. Stainless steel is ok since it doesn't rust Smile

Carol
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Calfornia Driftwood   Calfornia Driftwood EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 2:07 am

boil it!

boil the socks off it!

thats how i do it. If its too big then I keep it in hot water. I put it in a bucket and put a rock ontop of it then fill it with hot as water...then drain and refill when the water gets cold (every few hours where possible).

it will sink!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calfornia Driftwood   Calfornia Driftwood Empty

Back to top Go down

Calfornia Driftwood
Page 1 of 1