Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Fry fatality and size difference. Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Fry fatality and size difference. Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fry fatality and size difference.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
death_adder
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 73
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-02-10

Fry fatality and size difference. Empty
PostSubject: Fry fatality and size difference.   Fry fatality and size difference. EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 4:36 am

My breeding trio of bristlenose that regularily spawn have had one big spawn (80 or so fry) in the new tank system I designed and then I moved the male to tank by himself so I could fatten the adults up. the babies have all worked there way into the fry tank and seem to be going strong. Now this is the first time ive only had one spawn of fry and been able to watch the results over a month. There is a considerable size difference between the fry with some being fat and large and others being slim and scrawny, does this just attribute to desire to pig out? Also proberly finding on average 2-6 dead fry a week which appear to be the scrawny ones with the fat and middle sized ones seeming to go strong. With these differences in size and mortality rates do you think it would indicate that my trio might be related somehow and causing bad genetics in the fry? Until ive observed fry size ive always just asumed the larger ones where older but these ones are all the same age.
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Fry fatality and size difference.   Fry fatality and size difference. EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 11:06 am

Did you buy your trio at the same LFS or breeder, if so they could well be related.

Different growth rates are not unusual, I've found moving the slower growing ones to another tank has a good effect on their growth rate.

It may be that they are being outcompeted for food.
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Fry fatality and size difference.   Fry fatality and size difference. EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 1:04 pm

Survival of the fittest. In the wild the smaller ones get picked off by predators
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Fry fatality and size difference.   Fry fatality and size difference. EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 2:30 am

there are lots of reasons why fry may die. The size they die can often be a key indicator. A bit more detail on the fry migth help
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fry fatality and size difference.   Fry fatality and size difference. Empty

Back to top Go down

Fry fatality and size difference.
Page 1 of 1