Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure - Page 2 Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure - Page 2 Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure

Go down 
+5
Bristlenoses
Tracieblue
jim.and
Alasse
skyline_gts4
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Silvashadow
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Silvashadow

Female Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Quest for the unusual plecos!
Humor : Om nom nom?
Thank You Points : 19
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure   Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 5:56 pm

Hiya mate.

Hehehe I'm gonna have to agree as well on your ladyman being a male. What got me thinking that was the spurs on the side of its head are very big. Females tend to have smaller, less noticeable ones. And the bump on the nose is another reason too :P

Very nice pics as well. Your new females do look like females to me, and females can get bristles. Male bristles go up their nose, where female bristles tend to be just on the front of their nose. Your new setup should keep them happy, just keep an eye on them for a while.

Goodluck with the breeding, hopefully they'll reward you with some fry, and you'll reward us with some pics of them! cheers
Back to top Go down
skyline_gts4
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
skyline_gts4

Male Number of posts : 40
Job/hobbies : Cars and catfish :)
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure   Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 10:22 am

Silvashadow wrote:
Hiya mate.

Hehehe I'm gonna have to agree as well on your ladyman being a male. What got me thinking that was the spurs on the side of its head are very big. Females tend to have smaller, less noticeable ones. And the bump on the nose is another reason too :P

Very nice pics as well. Your new females do look like females to me, and females can get bristles. Male bristles go up their nose, where female bristles tend to be just on the front of their nose. Your new setup should keep them happy, just keep an eye on them for a while.

Goodluck with the breeding, hopefully they'll reward you with some fry, and you'll reward us with some pics of them! cheers

Haha thanks mate. The ladyman has not been doing much lateley just sitting ontop of his/her new cave. Yeah it take awhile to get some good pictures but its worth it, they look to be females. My definite male is trying to court one of the females into the cave tonight. Hopefully it is going to all go well but he is only 8cm and she is 12cm. Also i have my new caves in the tank now so this is the reason i think everything is going well. They are a slate cave made buy a guy in australia and sold on pleco planet but he lives 10 min away from me so i went to his and saw his setup of about 200 bristlenose of all kinds.

I will keep an eye on everything and when they have babies ill be posting pictures up Smile
Back to top Go down
Silvashadow
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Silvashadow

Female Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Quest for the unusual plecos!
Humor : Om nom nom?
Thank You Points : 19
Registration date : 2011-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure   Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 4:03 pm

Lets hope you get a spawn cheers
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure   Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 1:03 am

Make sure they get plenty of wafers and fresh veg to fatten those girls up full of eggs. Due to the size of your girls the batches of eggs will be quite large. 12cm girl should probably lay around 80 eggs Very Happy
Back to top Go down
skyline_gts4
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
skyline_gts4

PostSubject: Re: Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure   Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 11:54 am

THE LADYMAN IS A MAN! im 100% sure because over night 3 bristles came up far on the snout on that bulge bit he has and all others are growing fast.

Yeah i think i have been feeding way to much wafers, like 4 a night (broken into 8 bits) over the past week. They are all pretty fat so ill feed them zucchini to keep them going well but the males are fighting more over caves than fanning at the moment and the temps in the tank are 28 due to ich being introduced with some neons =\
I havnt had it before but everyone says to raise the temp and add salt (i wont be adding salt for the bristlenose's sake). So i doubt breeding will happen in my warm tank and also the large water changes caused the massive temp drops and then leading to the neons getting ich so i dont think anyone should keep tiny weak fish with bristlenose as the waterchanges bristlenose need are way to much for others
Back to top Go down
jond4261
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
jond4261

Male Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Job: Electrician. Hobbies: Fish Keeping and watching Cricket.
Humor : sarcastic
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2010-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure   Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 7:15 pm

Adding some aqualibrium salt (for fresh water fish) is fine, just dont go over board. I use it in my tanks and the BNs don't mind at all. It doesn't stop them breeding, will help stop you getting disease and will also act as a PH buffer.

The quantities that you want to use are 1g (gram) of salt to 1 litre of water. This will give you a 0.1% dosage level. This level is perfectly safe and can actually bebenificial for your fresh water fish.

This is what its supposed to do......

Interpet Aqualibrium Salt is a physiological for the aquarium with built in pH buffer. Aqualibrium Salt assists by safeguarding against fish disease as the unique formulation helps create the perfect environment for freshwater fish. Aqualibrium Salt stabilises aquarium water conditions, including the essential pH value. This product can be used as a general tonic and mild pH buffer, to help minimise the effects of stress on fish and as a supportive measure when treating for disease.

cheers

Jon

Last edited by jond4261 on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
skyline_gts4
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
skyline_gts4

PostSubject: Re: Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure   Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 9:09 am

jond4261 wrote:
Adding some aqualibrium salt (for fresh water fish) is fine, just dont go over board. I use it in my tanks and the BNs don't mind at all. It doesn't stop them breeding, will help stop will also act as a PH buffer.

The quantities that you want to use are 1g (gram) of salt to 1 litre of water. This will give you a 0.1% dosage level. This level is perfectly safe and can actually bebenificial for your fresh water fish.

This is what its supposed to do......

Interpet Aqualibrium Salt is a physiological for the aquarium with built in pH buffer. Aqualibrium Salt assists by safeguarding against fish disease as the unique formulation helps create the perfect environment for freshwater fish. Aqualibrium Salt stabilises aquarium water conditions, including the essential pH value. This product can be used as a general tonic and mild pH buffer, to help minimise the effects of stress on fish and as a supportive measure when treating for disease.

cheers

Jon

Thanks for that, i had a look at that exact salt and i don't think its sold anywhere in Australia. I only know of API's brand which is a fresh water one. Everything else was specifically salt water.
Seeing as i have API's i will use it but at half dose as i don't think its exactly like Interpet Aqualibrium Salt. The White spots on the tetras are already gone but i want to keep this going for 2 weeks to make sure it doesnt come back. I should move the tetra's if i buy a 2ft on the weekend.

What fish are people keeping with Bristlenose??????????(tetras just dont like the water changes)
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure   Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 10:44 am

Try livebearers (guppies, mollies, platies, swordtails, endlers, etc) they don't seem to bother the bn fry and they breed so much you could sell em back to the LFS Very Happy
Back to top Go down
skyline_gts4
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
skyline_gts4

PostSubject: Re: Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure   Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 11:58 am

hmm endlers are probably the coolest out of those Smile

Ill have to get another tank to keep the tetras i have. Do endlers like large water changes? Its just the large water changes cause white spot for tetras for me.

UPDATE: the female has been in the male's cave about ..... 3-4 times this afternoon and she rolls around when she comes out but every time she goes in there the male runs out so no ones in there when she is and the male sits ontop of it until she leaves and he runs back in. He has not left the cave for since friday when i got those awesome slate caves but there are no eggs in there as the lids are removable design.
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure   Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 12:43 pm

Don't disturb them while they are at it. Just leave em be and it'll happen Smile

I never had any problems with endlers getting white spot from water changes. Don't do huge waterchanges, just 20% with water that's around 5deg colder (I just mix hot n cold from tap into bucket, u can feel the difference) Straight cold water is no good as it causes too much of a temp drop
Back to top Go down
skyline_gts4
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
skyline_gts4

PostSubject: Re: Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure   Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 12:59 pm

HAHA its not my fault i see her going crazy trying to get in the cave, (catches my eye while watching tv) ill try my best Smile

I thought 50% of water a week with a hose to disperse the water and make it cooler was too much but the guy at the LFS said it works and it will be fine. Temps go from 26-23 in 15min. I'm just going to do my 30% water without a hose as i use to do and had no problems, i also used hot water this winter was the tap water was freezing. That should still trigger the Bristlenose and not bother anyone Smile also, I would save my money and space for more growout tanks it i can just keep the tetras where they are.

Cheers Kfenk
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure   Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Not having any luck breeding after 6 months, also is she a female for sure
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2