Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Thoughts - Long fin super red's Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Thoughts - Long fin super red's Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Thoughts - Long fin super red's

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
davew
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
davew

Number of posts : 172
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-07-26

Thoughts - Long fin super red's Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts - Long fin super red's   Thoughts - Long fin super red's EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi guys, this maybe a stupid question or it may not.....

am i right in thinking super reds where made from breeding the darker colored albino's time and time again untill they took on a more red form.....?

if so although it will be a long process do you think it would be possible to breed in an albino longfin with a super red in an attempted to make an Super Red LongFin,

i know it might have to go down several generation's but ultimately would it be possible.....

your thoughts ?

Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts - Long fin super red's   Thoughts - Long fin super red's EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 10:09 pm

yeah, its possible. but the issue is that the line is so fragile that trying to add in the longfin gene will most likely result in the loss of the red colour. although, if you have the time and effort then go for it and you will be rich!
Back to top Go down
davew
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
davew

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts - Long fin super red's   Thoughts - Long fin super red's EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 1:29 am

humm yeah i been doing a bit of reading into it..odd's are not good, lol.....however,

if a lf and sf are breed i think it was about 25% ish chance on lf.....

and of that 25% i gonna need a little begger to keep his red Smile

think i will get a batch of these guys of as they are first and then grow a few on to try it with, lenthly process but will keep me busy for a while, lol
Back to top Go down
davew
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
davew

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts - Long fin super red's   Thoughts - Long fin super red's EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 1:31 am

humm also would a common lf or a albino be the better option.....

i'm tending to think albino but just wondering.....
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts - Long fin super red's   Thoughts - Long fin super red's EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 6:43 am

albino, the common gene will dominate the albino and all the fry will be brown. No red at all.

It wont be as simple as crossing the red with a lf and hoping that some of the longfin fry are red. As far as I can tell the red is not a distinct genotype which means that it is kind of like a breed of dog. Cross it with another and you end up with a mess. It will take many generations to get the longfin red again. Im sure those crafty German have been trying to do it for a while.

Back to top Go down
davew
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
davew

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts - Long fin super red's   Thoughts - Long fin super red's EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 9:10 am

yeah wouldn't surprise me,

so in essence i would be best with a LF male and SR female and another pair of LF female and SR male and then breed the 'darker coloured' albino's back together in a hope to get the red color back......

well i got plenty of time, lol

Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts - Long fin super red's   Thoughts - Long fin super red's EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 1:36 pm

i say go for it mate cheers . If you get it right then youll be a rich man Very Happy lol and if you dont then oh well, not much different than being an albino shortfin and longfin breeder in the end
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts - Long fin super red's   Thoughts - Long fin super red's EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 9:30 pm

My money is on the Germans beating you to it lol!
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts - Long fin super red's   Thoughts - Long fin super red's EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 12:38 am

They probably have already and now would be perfecting it. But that's just speculation tho...
Back to top Go down
davew
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
davew

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts - Long fin super red's   Thoughts - Long fin super red's EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 9:37 am

God dam germans.......

haha yeah they'll probably win.....but i will have named my fish...bet they don't....lol

hummm, well i just going to get them going together to start off with, there's always room for more SR's Smile

ps... my friend is emigrating over to melbourne from the uk, i asked him if he would be interested in maybe slipping a few plec's in a shampoo bottle for ya....lol....

however having watched border force oz and seen the amount of guns they have...he declined....LMFAO !!!!!

Back to top Go down
carptamer
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Male Number of posts : 179
Job/hobbies : rsco/fish breeder
Humor : very dry at times
Thank You Points : 3
Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: super red longfin    Thoughts - Long fin super red's EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 1:23 pm

my friend bred a german super red with an albino longfin and got brown short fin fry we another friend of mine bred a red with a calico longfin and ended up with a few red longfins aswell as the calicos its very interesting all this genetics i think the fry colour actually is more based on the origional individual fish used for projects like this more than just the morph type? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
davew
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
davew

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts - Long fin super red's   Thoughts - Long fin super red's EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 1:29 pm

humm intresting, well i'm just growing out some of my SR babys then i got 3 tanks set up, i'm going with SR male x Albino LF Female, SR Female and a Albino FL Male and then also going to try the other SR female with a Calaco LF Male.........

just adds another dimention to the fish keeping hobby, not just breeding fish but breeding with an aim Smile

I'll keep you all posted from time to time on this...how ever it will be a long process....lol
Back to top Go down
carptamer
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Male Number of posts : 179
Job/hobbies : rsco/fish breeder
Humor : very dry at times
Thank You Points : 3
Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: super red longfins    Thoughts - Long fin super red's EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 1:53 pm

id stick more with the calico crosses as he had about 6 out of 90 that were redder and when grew to 1 and a half inchs they lost there dark pigmentation and went all orange but keep me updated on your progress thanks steve im going to try super red male to calico longfn female if i can get hold of one. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts - Long fin super red's   Thoughts - Long fin super red's Empty

Back to top Go down

Thoughts - Long fin super red's
Page 1 of 1