Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Tank exclusively for BNs Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Tank exclusively for BNs Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tank exclusively for BNs

Go down 
+2
Kurosaki J
abnmom1
6 posters
AuthorMessage
abnmom1
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
abnmom1

Female Number of posts : 9
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-05-31

Tank exclusively for BNs Empty
PostSubject: Tank exclusively for BNs   Tank exclusively for BNs EmptyMon Jun 01, 2009 12:18 am

I was thinking about having one tank with just ABNs. I was inspired by the nursery 20G tank across from my desk...it's been wonderfully entertaining and relaxing watching the fry grow. Do any of you have BN specific tanks? How many should fit in a 45G long tank? If you keep just females or just males in the tank, do they co-habitate well?
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Tank exclusively for BNs   Tank exclusively for BNs EmptyTue Jun 02, 2009 8:37 am

High abnmom1 , 45gal can hold quite a few fish, I have a 150ltr( 50gal) filled up to 3/4
so probablly about 130 ltr and have 1 male to 3 females now ( trying to start another pair)
+heaps of the babies in the same tank- allthough I'm starting to notice them growing slower
I still have enough time to move them on when they are 4cm'ish.
As for sex specific tanks , never tried so can't answer that one - but I used have 4 females
in the one tank with 1 male and never had a problem.
Cheers J
Back to top Go down
816johnv
V.I.P Member
816johnv

Male Number of posts : 700
Job/hobbies : Breeding Plecs, Football and most other sports
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Tank exclusively for BNs   Tank exclusively for BNs EmptyThu Jun 04, 2009 8:29 am

in all my breeding tanks i had 1 or 2 males and 3-4 females with a cave for every individual i also have a group of corys and a few endlers in with them

i had a 2ft tank with 1 male ABN and 3 female ABN and they would spawn every 2 weeks, 2 females would spawn at the same time then 2 weeks later the other female would spawn i eventually had over 500 fry so had to split them up i would recommend sorting some sort of deal with a LFS so you can keep the fry down because once the start they wont stop lol! even if it is just for store credit

i wouldnt keep just males in the tank as they will fight for territory

hope this helps
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Tank exclusively for BNs   Tank exclusively for BNs EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 3:41 pm

I agree with john i have one 155 litre tank just for my L182 Goldspots and have only one male in there.....
I think to have a few pairs you would need quite a large tank for things to work smoothly... Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
"L Number mad
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Tank exclusively for BNs 12-38

Male Number of posts : 223
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Tank exclusively for BNs   Tank exclusively for BNs EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 8:32 am

in my albino tank 2 male - 5 female 220 ltr
but in my l144 tank i have 2 male - 5 female 220 ltr
my l183 tank 1 male - 2 female 180 ltr
brown bn 1 male - 2 female 150 ltr

i personally wouldn't put more than two males in unless there was enough room and caves etc.. to accomadate them as they will fight.

and the collection is getting larger every month lol cheers
Back to top Go down
abnmom1
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
abnmom1

Female Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Tank exclusively for BNs   Tank exclusively for BNs EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 7:44 pm

It seems like all your BNs are having fry, very often. I've grown attached to my wee ones, but I know i can't keep them all. What do you all do with the hundreds (it's sounding like that) of babies?
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Tank exclusively for BNs   Tank exclusively for BNs EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 10:09 pm

High abnmom1,:what to do with all of those offspring? Strike up a good relationship
with your local fish retailers.
When the local wholesalers find it hard to get B/N your local retailer will love you, and
probably give you a better price than wholesale anyway. The guy I see usually gets me
an extra 50cents per fish: $3=wholesale, $3.50 for me, add all those 50 cents together
70 fish x $3.50 =$245--- and the extra 50 cents adds $35 to all your hard work.
Cheers J
Back to top Go down
Eaglehorsesmom
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Eaglehorsesmom

Female Number of posts : 43
Job/hobbies : Working on disability. Writting Riddick fan fics and watching our Plecos
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Tank exclusively for BNs   Tank exclusively for BNs EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 2:19 pm

I agree. My fav LFS in Bowling Green was very excieted when I told them that I wanted to try breeding them. They can't always get BNs from their supplier. If you start raising them, there's also a chance that you can educate the store on advice for their buyers. Some of the sales people at mine had no idea that BNs needed drift wood for their digestion. I told them that it was very improtant. So if you do start breeding, any advice you can share with the store could help a first time BN owner.

Good luck with the young ones.

Eaglehorsesmom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tank exclusively for BNs   Tank exclusively for BNs Empty

Back to top Go down

Tank exclusively for BNs
Page 1 of 1