Go down 
AuthorMessage
kfenk
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

What's your discus secrets? Empty
PostSubject: What's your discus secrets?   What's your discus secrets? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 9:50 am

I know there is a few keepers and breeders of discus on here. So I was wondering what's your tips of the trade? How do you keep your discus happy and healthy? Anything to help out a discus starter like me or even potential discus owners here.
Thanks for any hints Wink

Small Fry
Small Fry

Male Number of posts : 37
Job/hobbies : Pets, pets and more pets!
Humor : Bad
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2010-03-17

PostSubject: Re: What's your discus secrets?   What's your discus secrets? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 4:20 pm

I would say the 2 main things are water quality and discus quality.
Back to top Go down
mpfsr
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
mpfsr

Male Number of posts : 98
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2011-07-18

PostSubject: Re: What's your discus secrets?   What's your discus secrets? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 1:33 pm

+1 with Sean's post.. Just want to add a high quality food too in very important..I know lots of Discus keepers feed a main diet of beefheart..I make my own beef heart and mix in things like Super green flake and Spiralina powder. Then re freeze it in small cubes..I do this as I know I have taken all the fat/garbage off the beef heart. Its a real pain at times but in the end it will be much better for the fish.. Here is a web site I found very helpful when I started keeping them..

http://www.rockymountaindiscus.com/Discus_Fish_Nutrition.htm
Back to top Go down
Sean1
Small Fry
Small Fry

Male Number of posts : 37
Job/hobbies : Pets, pets and more pets!
Humor : Bad
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2010-03-17

PostSubject: Re: What's your discus secrets?   What's your discus secrets? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 2:53 pm

Ditto to the food. I make my own beefheart mix too, and add allsorts such as spirulina, banana, garlic. All sorts of things go in, and they go mad for it.
Back to top Go down
OwNz
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Male Number of posts : 185
Job/hobbies : Fish Keeping
Thank You Points : 14
Registration date : 2009-08-02

PostSubject: Re: What's your discus secrets?   What's your discus secrets? EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 2:00 pm

alot of love and care i water change my discus tanks daily i dont feed live bloodworm only frozen and also my own beefheart mixture is made in bulk for the pairs i keep and breed

at the moment i have around 300 young so alot of time but well worth it !
Back to top Go down
mmccannon
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
mmccannon

Number of posts : 346
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: What's your discus secrets?   What's your discus secrets? EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 6:42 pm

What a coincidence! I am just back from the meeting of the Hungarian Aquarist Society, and we have decided to organise a conference about discs in 2012.

I am very keen to learn how you keep/breed them.
Back to top Go down
kfenk
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: What's your discus secrets?   What's your discus secrets? EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 6:29 am

Well im hoping you take a very large notebook with you so you can share all those juicy tidbits What's your discus secrets? Please

Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 82
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What's your discus secrets?   What's your discus secrets? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 10:51 am

This may seem extreme ............

I met a chap in Ottoway in Adelaide whose home was known as "DISCUS HOUSE"

He believed that the the tap water in adelaide contained gill flukes. He believed that the young Discus gills would be attacked by these and they would never reach the huge sizes that discus can get to.

He used to run Formaldehyde through his tank fortnightly on all his young discus.

His fish where pretty awesome.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's your discus secrets?   What's your discus secrets? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's your discus secrets?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Tropical's and Marine Section :: Freshwater Talk-
Jump to: