Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Making bns friendlier? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Making bns friendlier? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Making bns friendlier?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
liam
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
liam

Male Number of posts : 66
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Making bns friendlier? Empty
PostSubject: Making bns friendlier?   Making bns friendlier? EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 8:38 am

Is there a way to make bns (peppermints in particular) friendlier? I never see my pepps unless its 10 at night and if they see me they immediately vanish.
I heard if they have lots of hiding spaces they come out more but it just seems to have made them even less visible.
Back to top Go down
mmccannon
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
mmccannon

Number of posts : 346
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Making bns friendlier?   Making bns friendlier? EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 9:09 am

On one hand, you have to respect that in their natural habitat they come out during the night, when there is less chance being eaten by predators. Also, the water temperature drops during the night, which is more favourable for them. They do not tolerate high temperatures.

On the other, if they feel secure in the aquarium, they are more likely to venture out during the day. Although that takes time, since my BNs got more confident when reaching adulthood.
Back to top Go down
Azedenkae
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 46
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2011-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Making bns friendlier?   Making bns friendlier? EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 9:18 am

As mmc stated, bns prefer to come out at night - as they are nocturnal, though not strictly so. If they're used to your presence, they'll come out even when you're around.

My bns started out very shy as well, scooting away when they saw a giant looming head drift towards them, but I fed them everyday and just watched them (and the tank) for minutes at a time, especially when I feed them, watching for a while after I drop something in. Also, when they ARE out, I tend to try and sneak up to them, so that I don't surprise them. I remember just lightly banging my fist against the table a few times and see all six of my bns going from swimming around casually to disappearing completely, within seconds. But yeah... then again, my tank is in my room, right on my work table, so it is possible that seeing me there a lot of the time, that got them used to me as well... not sure which of the above factors really coaxed them to become less shy, but I reckon it's a combination of trying to sneak up to them and not disturb them as much as possible, along with watching them... a bit. Makes them feel less insecure when you're around.
Back to top Go down
liam
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
liam

Male Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2011-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Making bns friendlier?   Making bns friendlier? EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 3:40 am

Hm.. My water temp is only about 23 degrees because my dad bought goldfish and put them in the same tank, so I don't want to make the temperature too high or low since I have mixture of tropical and coldwater fish.
Also when I feed mine they never come out until I come back 7 hours later and see all the insides of the zucchinis gone.

I assumed they might've become less shy through all the years of captive breeding and so forth.

Are the common bristlenoses nocturnal? The ones that I've seen always are sticking themselves on the aquarium glass without a care in the world for giant looming heads.
Back to top Go down
bristlenoseblundell
Small Fry
Small Fry

Male Number of posts : 38
Job/hobbies : keeping Tropical fish, Fishing.
Registration date : 2011-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Making bns friendlier?   Making bns friendlier? EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 5:29 pm

Hi

I have had this before but have found that if i fed them at night a few times they do come out and quite rightly so as "night is their day, so to speak" and if i stayed watching them eat they began to trust me and when that happens they will come out of hiding any time of the day when the lid of the tank opens thinking you have food for them.....remember they have feelings and personallities to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making bns friendlier?   Making bns friendlier? Empty

Back to top Go down

Making bns friendlier?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Bristlenose Talk-
Jump to: