Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Overstocked Tank? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Overstocked Tank? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Overstocked Tank?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
tankart
Small Fry
Small Fry

Male Number of posts : 33
Job/hobbies : Painting & Drawing Instructor / Fine Art Painter
Thank You Points : 3
Registration date : 2011-11-26

Overstocked Tank? Empty
PostSubject: Overstocked Tank?   Overstocked Tank? EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 5:14 am

My fish have been doing well, but as they continue to get larger I am becoming concerned I may have overstocked my 38 gallon tank. Here is the list of fish I have. 5 full grown Congo Tetras (3.5" each), 3 Siamese algae eaters (3.75" each), 2 clown loach (3.5" each), 1 Kubotia Loach (2.5"), 2 Bristlenose Plecos (2.5" each), 1 Ottocinlus (1.25"). Plants; 1 Large Rubin Sword, 3 Aponogeton Crispus, i Cryptocoryne Wendtii, lots of Java Lace Fern, and 1 large piece of driftwood. I do water changes every 7 - 10 days and use an API Tap Water Filter. PH 6.6, running 2 Aqualights (72 watts combined with no CO2), Eheim Classic Canister Filter 2217. I realize the Clown Loach will outgrow the tank in a couple years. Anyone have thoughts or concerns?
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Overstocked Tank? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overstocked Tank?   Overstocked Tank? EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 6:34 am

Here you go mate, punch in all your info here http://aqadvisor.com/ and it should come up with the best answer you could possibly get. Dont forget to let us know what it says Overstocked Tank? Good-luck-2
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Overstocked Tank? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overstocked Tank?   Overstocked Tank? EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 12:00 pm

Given the stocking levels your water changes should be more frequent at least twice a week. Long term as you say the clowns will outgrow the tank and as they sometimes do not get on with BN's so there could be potential problems even in an upgraded tank.
Back to top Go down
tankart
Small Fry
Small Fry

Overstocked Tank? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overstocked Tank?   Overstocked Tank? EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Well, as I thought the aquadvisor showed that I should have a larger tank. It calculated I was just over 200% overstocked. The Clown Loach are still relatively small though. I found a new Perfecto 75 gallon tank with top and light for $100, but I'd have to get the OK from my wife (not likely). I would have to buy at least $300 worth of other accessories to get it up and running!
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Overstocked Tank? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overstocked Tank?   Overstocked Tank? EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 2:52 am

The aqadvisor site is built for beginners so if you are willing to put in the work then it can be done.

The best way to tell if the tank is over stocked is to see how the fish are going. if they are all looking stressed then its prob overstocked and the maintence you are putting in is not sufficent. On the other hand if the fish are happy healthy and breeding then i would just keep up the good work. Just watch out for the growing clown loach!
Back to top Go down
tankart
Small Fry
Small Fry

Overstocked Tank? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overstocked Tank?   Overstocked Tank? EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 3:18 am

What was I thinking!!! I purchased a large chunky, albino Bristlenose Pleco, about 4.5" long, to put in my main tank a couple days ago....right now it's in the quarantine tank. I couldn't resist with the long bristles - it's rather prehistoric looking. That is the reason I posted about the over-stock question, thinking he may generate a lot of waste. I'm also concerned that he might up-root some plants when he gets into my main tank as he has moved a lot of gravel around in the Q Tank. I think it is because he's trying to get under a piece of driftwood that is just too small. He's rather skittish with any lights on, hiding most of the day. I might not ever see him like most my other fish.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Overstocked Tank? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overstocked Tank?   Overstocked Tank? EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 4:16 am

bristlenose are often like this when they are new to a tank. he will relax as time passes and he realises there is nothing there that is going to eat him.

Bristlenose do indeed make a lot of waste so it is important to keep that in mind Smile

birstlenose are generally ok with plants. Unless it a carpet plant which they like to get under, most stem plants are fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Overstocked Tank? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overstocked Tank?   Overstocked Tank? Empty

Back to top Go down

Overstocked Tank?
Page 1 of 1