Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Using hardwood timber in aquariums? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Using hardwood timber in aquariums? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Using hardwood timber in aquariums?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
liam
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
liam

Male Number of posts : 66
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Using hardwood timber in aquariums? Empty
PostSubject: Using hardwood timber in aquariums?   Using hardwood timber in aquariums? EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 9:51 am

Hi guys,

at Bunnings they sell 1m hardwood planks for 8 dollars. At fish shops I go to they sell small 10cm pieces of driftwood for 10 dollars.
Would it be safe for the fish if I were to cut up a plank, smooth it and put pieces in the tank?
Not sure if hardwood planks are chemically treated or anything :roll: The pine planks are definitely treated as they have a greenish tinge to them and almost all pine planks are treated anyway.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Using hardwood timber in aquariums?   Using hardwood timber in aquariums? EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 11:10 am

I would stick to aquarium safe bogwood/driftwood from your LFS. There are to many risks involved using wood from any other sources.
Back to top Go down
mpfsr
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
mpfsr

Male Number of posts : 98
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2011-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Using hardwood timber in aquariums?   Using hardwood timber in aquariums? EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 2:09 pm

Almost all wood is treated before its up for sale..Unless you go out in the woods and collect it yourself I would stay away from it..I do and have used many pieces of hardwood I found out in the woods. boil to kill anything living on it. then soak for a few months to water log it. or tie it to a rock.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Using hardwood timber in aquariums?   Using hardwood timber in aquariums? EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 10:06 pm

however, just FYI, it is illegal to take wood from public property in Australia. This includes roadsides, parks and conservation area and there is a massive fine if caught. I know several people who have been stung. Best bet is to find someone who has a bit of land and have a dig around their place. Just make sure its not some poor little critters home, which you most likely would be
Back to top Go down
liam
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
liam

PostSubject: Re: Using hardwood timber in aquariums?   Using hardwood timber in aquariums? EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 11:06 pm

So I gather I shouldn't try use hardwood timber? It looked more like firewood than anything, chunks of it missing and bark peeling off.

I put a stick in my aquarium that I found floating in the beach >.> I soaked it for like a week first though
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Using hardwood timber in aquariums?   Using hardwood timber in aquariums? EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 11:28 pm

Remember the wood is for the bristlenoses to rasp on so it's essentially food. Now would you rather buy wood you know is safe for them from the LFS or go out and find wood and hope for the best?
Back to top Go down
liam
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
liam

PostSubject: Re: Using hardwood timber in aquariums?   Using hardwood timber in aquariums? EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 11:50 pm

Ahh what about bamboo, do they rasp on bamboo? I made a bamboo cave yesterday
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: Using hardwood timber in aquariums?   Using hardwood timber in aquariums? EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 12:05 am

yeah, they will rasp it but bamboo is ok, lots of people use it for caves
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Using hardwood timber in aquariums?   Using hardwood timber in aquariums? EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 5:32 am

Yep, infact bamboo log was the first cave my current albino longfin breeders ever spawned in Smile
Back to top Go down
liam
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
liam

PostSubject: Re: Using hardwood timber in aquariums?   Using hardwood timber in aquariums? EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 4:56 am

Does anyone know if any bamboo can be used or does it have to be a certain type? Not sure if some are poisonous or something.

I'm thinking of growing some large timber bamboo to use for caves (Anything to procrastinate doing my maths homework)

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: Using hardwood timber in aquariums?   Using hardwood timber in aquariums? EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 5:37 am

not sure about types but I will just issue a warning about growing bamboo!

It can be an amazing plant but then you blink and it has over run your garden, the people next door have it growing in their gutters, the local national park has pandas in it and you have long since died of hunger as you cant get the car out of the drive cos the bamboo has used the engine compartment as its 47th giant root ball.

Just keep and eye on it is all im saying (and check that you are allowed to grow it, I know in some places it is considered a noxious weed and you are not allowed to grow some types.
Back to top Go down
liam
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
liam

PostSubject: Re: Using hardwood timber in aquariums?   Using hardwood timber in aquariums? EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 8:45 am

Yeah if I did try to grow it I'd find a giant container for it, I live next to a park and there's bamboo growing into the park from someones house!

Maybe I'll stick to just buying already dried culms, I don't think a large bamboo would be very happy in a container.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using hardwood timber in aquariums?   Using hardwood timber in aquariums? Empty

Back to top Go down

Using hardwood timber in aquariums?
Page 1 of 1