Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

New to Bristlenose Plecs. Welcome opinions and advise from all.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
karenleepa
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 10
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-12-30

PostSubject: New to Bristlenose Plecs. Welcome opinions and advise from all.   Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:57 pm

Hello all. I recently started a cold water tank with a couple pond goldfish from my previous home. A Pleco was suggested as a good fish to co-habitat the tank and control algae (there's quite a lot of it). I'm also planning on getting a small school of long finned white clouds.

Anyway. I was looking at the different plecos and decided on the bristlenose. I was thrilled to find your forums, but now I'm more confused than ever on which one to get and how I go about finding one. None of my local shops have bristlenose.

Any one have recommendations on what to get and where to get one? If I can narrow down the type, there is a place near Philadelphia that can probably special request it.

It needs to get along well with my common/comet goldfish (two 6" and two 2") and be on the easier side to care for.

Thanks ahead of time for your advise. After reading a few threads here I'm really excited about having one.

Cheers, Karen

p.s. I have black glass gem marbles on the bottom. I think an albino pleco might look great. Thoughts?
Also noticed that some have longer 'bristles' than others. I think the longer the better. Is there one known for longer bristles, or is that something that comes with age.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carolan
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Female Number of posts : 115
Job/hobbies : full-time mom/keeping fish
Humor : definitly!!!!
Thank You Points : 9
Registration date : 2011-12-13

PostSubject: Welcome, welcome!   Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:11 pm

Hello Karenleepa, First of all welcome to BN world- it is a great place for learning and its full of great people who are willing to share their expertise. I am also new here. I had two BN's- was told they were LDA 08-claro bristlenose, but am thinking they are common brown Bristlenose. I had a male and a female in a tank with three Ryukin goldfish. My BN's lived very happily with the Ryukins- all three goldfish over 4 inches in length not including finage. I got the pair of BN's as juveniles and they grew and eventually I found that one day they had laid eggs! So in my experience is they do very well with goldfish, I also added a couple of juvenile fancy tail goldfish. In my experience the goldfish were very curious about the plecos at first and came in for a closer look but were never interested in them as food. Besides plecos have good armour/ protection! Most of the day the BN's would rest as these guys are nocturnal and at night they would clean the tank, and I found that I could keep plants in the tank, and that my algae overgrowth went away and has not returned since. As you know goldfish are messy eaters and have a fast metabolism-so to speak(they poop a lot)! I found that when I fed the goldfish veggies which is good for them, at night the BN's would help eat the veggies as they love all kinds- you can find a list on this site of veggies that BN's like. You'll still have to clean the substrate just as much but you should find that your tank will glisten and the temp. that goldfish live at coldwater- room temp is just fine for the BN's and it did not stop mine from growing fast and even reproducing!

Funny side note- I got my pair of BN's to control the goldfish tanks algae prob. and eventually ended up here as a BN enthusiast!!!!
cheers So good luck and as for the type of BN- that's my experience with common brown BN's- but the albino variety is from the same species if I am not mistaken and they now have their own L number.

But other members may have another BN type to recommend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: New to Bristlenose Plecs. Welcome opinions and advise from all.   Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:20 pm

hey and welcome

Albinos are nice, they are fairly easy to come by. Any fish decent fish shop should be able to order them in for you. Basically every good fish shop will know where they can get them easy.

In the states you can get a few more plecos than we can get here in Aus so take some time to have a look around. THere are some different types of the albino or the yellow coilour types. THere are also some which are more red and some which are green. But that said they are a bit rarer and may have to be imported wild caught fish. Might pay to start out on the more common ones to learn the trade a bit.

GO TO www.keepingandbreedingbristlenose.com FOR YOUR COPY!!

Like my book - why not "Like" it on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Keeping-and-Breeding-Bristlenose-Catfish/142417842474993
Click here to vote for Bristlenose World
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mmccannon
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Number of posts : 346
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: New to Bristlenose Plecs. Welcome opinions and advise from all.   Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:41 am

Hope you will get as BN-mad as Carolan, and the rest of the team. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: New to Bristlenose Plecs. Welcome opinions and advise from all.   Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:12 pm

First up to BNworld

Secondly what size are the marbles you have for your substrate. If they are bigger than a fingernail then you can have ammonia problems from food and waste collecting underneath where its hard to get too. especially with bn being messy in the waste department. somehow it seems more comes out than goes in sometimes lol

and third is if you are looking for a bn with big bristles then you should try for a male albino. the males have the big bristles.

heres a pic of my male albino longfin to get you drooling

he actually has huge bristles now but unfortunately im too lazy to take pics Embarassed

Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Number of posts : 346
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: New to Bristlenose Plecs. Welcome opinions and advise from all.   Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:50 pm

kfenk wrote:
he actually has huge bristles now but unfortunately im too lazy to take pics Embarassed

Excuse not accepted my friend. Mad
So, cmon, and go on a "shooting spree" with your camera. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
karenleepa
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 10
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-12-30

PostSubject: Re: New to Bristlenose Plecs. Welcome opinions and advise from all.   Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:09 pm

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

There was a question about the marbles. They're about the size of a penny, flat not round, and irregular. I have a gravel vacuum I hit them with every week since the gold fish are big poop-ers. So that shouldn't be a problem.

I read that plecs, in general, like to have drift wood. I do have one large piece, should I have a lot more? What about a cave-like set up?

Thanks for the tip on getting a male for longer bristles...will do!

The biggest local aquarium shop should have some BNs next week. I hope to pick one up then. Can't wait!

I too hope to be as big of an enthusiast at Carolan and the crew. Agree...kfenk, let's see a current picture!

Have a great New Year everyone! Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: New to Bristlenose Plecs. Welcome opinions and advise from all.   Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:54 pm

I would try and create a few hidey holes for him/her as they do like to have places they feel secure, possibly made from another piece of bogwood or two, and a cave will be a good idea, if the BN bug really strikes you'll end up with a pair at least lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: New to Bristlenose Plecs. Welcome opinions and advise from all.   Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:38 am

they do need a bit of wood, but if you have some then there is no need to rush out and get some more...unless you want to. personally i love the look of wood in my tanks so its full of it.

the substrate you have is ok, as long as it is not sharp then you will be fine, thought the bristlenose may do some remodeling making a cave for himself.

GO TO www.keepingandbreedingbristlenose.com FOR YOUR COPY!!

Like my book - why not "Like" it on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Keeping-and-Breeding-Bristlenose-Catfish/142417842474993
Click here to vote for Bristlenose World
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bristlenoseblundell
Small Fry
Small Fry

Male Number of posts : 38
Job/hobbies : keeping Tropical fish, Fishing.
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2011-11-05

PostSubject: Re: New to Bristlenose Plecs. Welcome opinions and advise from all.   Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:26 pm

Hello and welcome karenleepa, you will love this website on bristlenose catfish the people on here are great yes great really helpful and knowledgable and before you know it you'll love the BN'S more.

Hope you get the bug just like the rest of us as BN'S are turely a beautiful fish, they also do a great job cleaning your tank and make great tank mates for the rest of your collection of fish.

Enjoy your BN'S

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to Bristlenose Plecs. Welcome opinions and advise from all.   Today at 11:50 am

Back to top Go down

New to Bristlenose Plecs. Welcome opinions and advise from all.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1