Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

filter stinks of sulphur ?  Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

filter stinks of sulphur ?  Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

filter stinks of sulphur ?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
davew
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
davew

Number of posts : 172
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-07-26

filter stinks of sulphur ?  Empty
PostSubject: filter stinks of sulphur ?    filter stinks of sulphur ?  EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 10:45 pm

hi guys,

question for you,

one of my juwel internal filters when disturbed stinks of possibly sulphur or something similar,

guessing this is not a good thing, its a partial bare bottem tank with a little bit of sand, so not enough to make gas pockets, it something with the filter,

thought it might be stagnant water or somthing if the power head has become a little blocked, but looked in and the water look like it was moving,

guessing its not good, have ran full water tests and have come back with nitrate and a nitrite reading.....

Amonia:0 i think
Nitrate:5
Nitrite:0.3

i say amonia is zero it usually is and i cannot test the water now as i have just done a water change and used PRIME as a declorinater, i was told it would give me false readings when used,
any way your thoughts on a sulphar smell ?

Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: filter stinks of sulphur ?    filter stinks of sulphur ?  EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 12:02 am

It sounds like there is an anaerobic region within the filter and there is a bacterial build up, possibly heterotrophic bacteria, that is producing hydrogen sulfide, giving that rotten egg smell.

Possible causes are the filter has suffered a power failure or it's due a cleaning.
Back to top Go down
davew
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
davew

Number of posts : 172
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-07-26

PostSubject: Re: filter stinks of sulphur ?    filter stinks of sulphur ?  EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 1:16 am

ahhhh, possably right there Smile have give the sponges a clean in some tank water and cleaning the inside of the box, dropted a water change and monitoring,

SmileSmile

fingers crossed,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: filter stinks of sulphur ?    filter stinks of sulphur ?  Empty

Back to top Go down

filter stinks of sulphur ?
Page 1 of 1