Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

New plants = Ich? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

New plants = Ich? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New plants = Ich?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Jeff

Male Number of posts : 307
Job/hobbies : Semi-retired / Lord of the Rings Online
Humor : dry
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-09-07

New plants = Ich? Empty
PostSubject: New plants = Ich?   New plants = Ich? EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 12:38 am

Uggh... picked up some new plants and immediately dropped them into my 3 tanks a couple of days ago and now have an Ich outbreak. I am treating with 1/2 dose of Nox-Ich and maxxed my heaters they are hovering around 80F (it is winter here).

I think I caught it early enough... hopefully it will kill my snails and not my fry Sad .

I was running 1/2 strength aquarium salt, and have bumped it up to full strength (1 Tbsp/5 gallons)

If anyone has any suggestions as to what else I can do pls let me know. pale

I think they are cabomba caroliniana... not sure I picked them up from my buddy No

May have come from LF albino male I picked up last week... He died 8 days after i got him. Not sure if he had ich or not he was very pale in color, would've been difficult to tell. Uggh i think He may have been the culprit now as he was in qt for about 10 days at lfs for ich... damn you lfs! New plants = Ich? 3317116823

rest in peace
New plants = Ich? 47801

Last edited by Jeff on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carolan
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Carolan

Female Number of posts : 123
Job/hobbies : plant mom
Humor : definitely!!!!
Thank You Points : 9
Registration date : 2011-12-13

New plants = Ich? Empty
PostSubject: New plants = Ich?   New plants = Ich? EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 6:15 am

I am so sorry to hear about your loss, rest in peace .

You did say he was in quarantine but had recovered, I have an albino too Shocked hmmm lol! .

What I know about Ich, and 'please scientists out there correct me if I am wrong' , is that once a fish has had it and recovered they tend to build up an immunity, like having the chicken pox for us human's and this is one reason why fry and juveniles are more prone.

For example, I don't know what it is scratch but I have a case of Ich as well, however out of all the fish only the babies and juvenile Bn's as well as the young clown plecos are showing the common spots, have done exactly what you are doing upt the temp. water changes galore, but I don't know how your fishes are acting, but mine although spotty!!!- the babies and juveniles are acting as if nothing is happening, they are eating normally, growing a lot, no sunken eyes, no lethargy, no symptoms of stress or illness in fact, other than the spots they are very dark, pooping a lot finding their own little mini caves its very cute!

The clowns are much bigger than when you saw them last, only spotty but arguing over a specific cave as usual,and eating and eating along side the Bn's- they do not seem stressed or ill, other than the spots I'd say nothing is wrong with them other than my constant worrying over the spots. They have had it for over a week now the, spots are definitely lessening on most.

I can only give you my experience but over about a year and half ago, I had a couple of Otocinclus that I still have, a few days after they arrived they showed Ich, I panicked, looked everywhere for something safe for them as they are so prone to dying from transport and everything stresses them out,-they are catfish too of course so no scales, and their minute size cause they were juveniles when I got them- everywhere I went said there's no cure they are too small for meds, it'll kill them, they are already stressed from transport and just out of their own nature- they stress over everything when you first get them, so I did frequent water changes and put in "remember it's only my experience and it worked for me"- a few pennies in the water(4) one in each corner and fed them a lot of algae . I knew there wasn't enough Cu that would leech out as in the meds, and the Cu content in pennies is not so not 100% and it is released so slowly, the guppies I had in there also developed Ich, but over the course of several weeks, eventually every single fish recovered, I did not up temp. it was all room temp. but I don't know if it was the pennies but every single fish lived and the guppies also had fry during everything, the plants lived the Otos grew and eventually no more spots!!!

Coincidentally I have the tank with the fry juveniles and juvenile clowns showing Ich, also with pennies.(AND KEEP ADDING A FEW EVERY DAY!)

AGAIN SORRY ABOUT YOUR LOSS AND GOOD LUCK WITH THE BABES!!! I'LL UPDATE ON HOW MY SITUATION IS GOING MAYBE IT MIGHT HELP OUT IN SOME WAY.
Back to top Go down
mmccannon
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
mmccannon

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2011-05-16

New plants = Ich? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New plants = Ich?   New plants = Ich? EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 10:04 am

Feel for you loosing your BN. rest in peace

When it comes to new plants, I always give the green a good methylene blue bath (10 drops per litre) for a day. Then rinse them well and rubbing all leaves to get rid of unwanted (snail) eggs.
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

New plants = Ich? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New plants = Ich?   New plants = Ich? EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 10:44 am

Ich is such a nasty little disease Evil or Very Mad

Did your LF Albino appear to have any breathing problems Question , sometimes Ich may only infect the gills. The layer of gill cells thickens in response to the parasites, and the amount of oxygen getting into the fish is reduced. Plus, if the infestation is really bad, the parasites themselves block the gills also causing suffocation. It also causes loss of electrolytes and fluids from the skin damage which could explain the pale colouration.

Back to top Go down
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Jeff

Male Number of posts : 307
Job/hobbies : Semi-retired / Lord of the Rings Online
Humor : dry
Registration date : 2011-09-07

New plants = Ich? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New plants = Ich?   New plants = Ich? EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 1:09 pm

So its been 20 hrs since upped the temp and added nox-ich. Temps are 82-85F and all seems well with my fish so far *fingers crossed*

Carolan, so glad to hear that your clowns are so busy! Mine is too as he has been booted from his cave by my common male... the clown really avoids the light and there are other caves he can go to, but he doesn't. He is really mad at the common and hangs outside looking for a fight, then darts away when confronted Smile He sneaks back in when the cave is empty, but soon gets chased out when Bn comes back... its very comical! Good luck with your Ich problem!

Mary, thank you for your advice on introducing plants to my aquariums cheers

Jim, my lf albino seemed to have reddening around his gills, a shrunken face, was pale and didn't seem to be eating... but I could not tell for sure as he was hiding most of the time. I believe you may be right with your diagnosis of his condition. Also he was very stiff when I removed his body... I didn't inspect him much tho as he was flushed right away because it grossed me out Embarassed

Have been shuffling my fish around in order to accomodate them all (am getting overstocked as they grow) with the same net, so that has contaminated all of my tanks, so am treating them all atm... another lesson learned the hard way uggh. But have very few specs for now and little to no flashing so I hope I can stop this ich before it gets out of hand.

Also for the treatment I am keeping the lights off(they recieve plenty of indirect sunlight), running airstones 24/7, and cutting the food in half... trying not to panic Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New plants = Ich? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New plants = Ich?   New plants = Ich? Empty

Back to top Go down

New plants = Ich?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: The Pleco Hospital-
Jump to: