Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

splitting 2x 4ft tanks - whats best Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

splitting 2x 4ft tanks - whats best Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

splitting 2x 4ft tanks - whats best

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
davew
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
davew

Number of posts : 172
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-07-26

splitting 2x 4ft tanks - whats best Empty
PostSubject: splitting 2x 4ft tanks - whats best   splitting 2x 4ft tanks - whats best EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 11:48 pm

ok so here is the deal.....

i'm getting 2x 4ft x 15x 18 tanks in the morning, there on a rack and are both sumpted,

my question is i am going to split them up to keep several breeding pairs in so what would be best......

a) introduce a false back made from perspex, add 2 solid dividers in to make 3 compartments, cut slots in the false back to allow water to travil to the back compartment where the sump pipe is, the return will be a spray bar across the front of the tank,

b)not use a false back and just use mesh dividers has the return at the opposite end of the tank to the sump pipe and allow the water to travil across

also to note i will be adding small sponge filters to each compartment

your thoughts ?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: splitting 2x 4ft tanks - whats best   splitting 2x 4ft tanks - whats best EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 12:08 am

I like the idea of the spliting into three. I think that would be the most professional look but on the other hand it would be a pain to clean the back section and if fry get in there it would be impossible to get them out without taking the tank out of the rack. I always like the idea of mess dividers as they are cheap, easy, removable and still allow you to filter the tank as if it is one single tank.

I think the most ideal method would be to drill a outlet in each end of the tank then put a glass/perspex divider in the middle. That way you have two totally independent tanks. You can isolate one or drain one if need be while still keeping the ability to run them all off the sump. That is how we set up the racks at work.
Back to top Go down
davew
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
davew

Number of posts : 172
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-07-26

PostSubject: Re: splitting 2x 4ft tanks - whats best   splitting 2x 4ft tanks - whats best EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 12:28 am

humm, well the tanks are already drilled and sumpted, i could add more i guess but not to handy with a drill, lol

regards the back area and fry, the slots/holes where going to be covered wih a fine tea straner type dome thingie, lol which would prevent the fry getting in but i see your point about cleaning the section out...

got to have it in 3 realisticly as i am shutting down some of my other tanks so i can save a bit of power,

so for the time being i might just go with the mesh dividers and see how i get on, can always edit it at a later date Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: splitting 2x 4ft tanks - whats best   splitting 2x 4ft tanks - whats best Empty

Back to top Go down

splitting 2x 4ft tanks - whats best
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Bristlenose Talk-
Jump to: