Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

One odd fry ? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

One odd fry ? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

One odd fry ?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

One odd fry ? Empty
PostSubject: One odd fry ?   One odd fry ? EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi,my breeding pair of calico bristlenoses have a batch of eggs every 4 weeks and so far have had about 200 (4 batches) babies since they started breeding.All the babies have been calico only differing in markings.Out of the last batch of babies there is one that looks like a super red baby or albino coloured but has dark eyes.He/she looks pinkish with dark eyes (I think they are black).I am intrigued by this little fellow and wonder how this has happened.Does anyone know what he/she will turn out to be? The baby is only about 1 and a half cm at the moment and stands out amongst all the rest.Anyone any ideas on this please?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

One odd fry ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One odd fry ?   One odd fry ? EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 9:59 pm

variations in colour are common in bristlenose (well as in odd balls like this occuring every few spawns). generally it is a mutation that has affected the colour coding genes. unfortantly this often leads to compromised health and is often very recessive. If you have two calicos then what you are probably looking at is an all orange fry. There are several people across the world looking to breed these fish and some are getting good results. the issue is as they get older the black blotches tend to return.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

One odd fry ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One odd fry ?   One odd fry ? EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 10:40 pm

Thanks Doug,I started a breeding programme up not too long ago and am concentrating on and working on breeding calicos with a lot of orange on with very few dark markings.I will definately be keeping this baby for future breeding.It is very healthy and lively and eats well and is growing well so hopefully it will reach maturity and be a nice adition to my programme.I have heard of High end orange calicos through research on the web but there is very little info on them.It might take me a few years to get well on my way but I will enjoy every minute of it.I would also like to eventualy produce more babies like this one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

One odd fry ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One odd fry ?   One odd fry ? Empty

Back to top Go down

One odd fry ?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: The Breeding Cave-
Jump to: