Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

"Mortality rate" Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

"Mortality rate" Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"Mortality rate"

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kaban
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
kaban

Male Number of posts : 164
Job/hobbies : concractor
Humor : not much to be serious about
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2012-02-11

"Mortality rate" Empty
PostSubject: "Mortality rate"   "Mortality rate" EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 11:03 am

There was little misunderstanding between one fella and myself. One thing led to another so I grabbed my notes and did the stats. Based on 7 counted batches, results are: in the group 0-3 months 4,2% deaths. After 3 m. I have no data - I trade them in the store. Did anybody do the numbers? I'd like to compare.
Back to top Go down
http://banka.ca
mmccannon
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
mmccannon

Number of posts : 346
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-05-16

"Mortality rate" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mortality rate"   "Mortality rate" EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 11:13 am

No mortality in my case.

Have lost a couple of small ones due to my clumsyness (one squeezed with sponge and another crushed by nets' frame Embarassed ), that's all.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Jeff

Male Number of posts : 307
Job/hobbies : Semi-retired / Lord of the Rings Online
Humor : dry
Registration date : 2011-09-07

"Mortality rate" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mortality rate"   "Mortality rate" EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 1:04 pm

With common Bn(busy trio) I had a stellar survival rate until I became overpopulated ( I had 50 gallons to work with). After 3 spawns I had approx 100 fry. Added some new plants (which ended up giving me ich) and then I began to lose 1-2 each day due to over medicating Sad

Had to deal with ich outbreak and fin rot all due to new plants/overcrowded I believe. Once the ich was gone, aquired more tanks and gave many fish away, Traded 25 of biggest fry for my prized albino male, and am only planning to breed albinos now.

Overpopulation is now my biggest fear so am sticking with just a pair(and not trio) which I hope will keep me out of trouble.
I have 1 breeding pair atm and 150 gallons among 6 tanks to work with now, so I am much more prepared.

So please learn from my mistakes and do not overcrowd/over medicate your fish! "Mortality rate" 1377652618

P.s. was going to delete this post as the real problem arose when I added new plants... however I think there is some merit left with a little editing Smile

Last edited by Jeff on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
mmccannon
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
mmccannon

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2011-05-16

"Mortality rate" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mortality rate"   "Mortality rate" EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 1:26 pm

I have around 200 small ones (3-4 cm) in a 92 litre tank. Heavy DIY sponge filtration and twice-a-week WC.
Another roughly 160-180 in another 92 litre, while ~ 100 is growing up in the community tank.

Never had any problem. (Thanks be to God!)

If filtration and water quality is OK, no matter how many they might be, no disease, and no death.

Maybe I am simply lucky.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Jeff

Male Number of posts : 307
Job/hobbies : Semi-retired / Lord of the Rings Online
Humor : dry
Registration date : 2011-09-07

"Mortality rate" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mortality rate"   "Mortality rate" EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 1:58 pm

I introduced new plants to my setup without treating them properly and I believe that was my problem, and where I got my ich from.
But I've only been keeping fish for 5 months so I didn't know any better. Still, lost about 20 fry(probably due to ich treatment/overmedicating)... so I guess my mortality rate stands at 20% for now.

Am hoping to maintain 99% survival rate(I was so proud of being able to say that before my issues) in the future, but I've read that 80% is normal.

Water parameters were normal during my ordeal 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite(the rest i don't measure as can't afford test kit uggh).

But prevention is better than cures is the lesson I've learned.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

"Mortality rate" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mortality rate"   "Mortality rate" EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 1:20 am

I generally run on about 10% mortality from commons and about 25% for albinos.
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

"Mortality rate" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mortality rate"   "Mortality rate" EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:13 am

commons were my first ever bn breeding experience and i found that they were quite hardy little devils. albinos on the other hand, for me have a higher mortality rate. so i guess about the same as doug. i found peppermint bn mortality rate to be about in between the both
Back to top Go down
kaban
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
kaban

"Mortality rate" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mortality rate"   "Mortality rate" EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:51 am

Well obviously, albino are inbred. From one hand, the only way to strengthen albinism, from the other is causing debilitation of the species. I got my abinos from different sources, hoping that they will not be related too close. Effect: male albino sp.II + fem albino sp. II = fry same as parents. But male spII + fem. fake L144= fry so various I would never believe if I didn't see it. From L071-like, through L089 to all-black ones and whatahell. But none was albino. Funny thing they seem to be stronger and grow way faster than albino.
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

"Mortality rate" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mortality rate"   "Mortality rate" EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 3:02 am

well its a bit hard to get bn here in aus that arent related somewhere along the family tree. after all there is an import ban on them. All three of my albino longfin adults are sourced from different places. Male came from LFS, who order via wholesaler (Queensland i think), one female came from Doug (here in Adelaide) and the other female i had shipped to me as a purchase from a member of another forum (Sydney, NSW) but i still seem to get the same mortality rate. I think its just the albino gene is weaker
Back to top Go down
kaban
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
kaban

"Mortality rate" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mortality rate"   "Mortality rate" EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 3:53 am

Albino is just damaged gene "P" responsible for melanin production =>lack of pigment in the skin/eyes. Albinism is inherited ergo they have to be somehow related to increase probability of getting the desired (alb.) fry. => another generations are and WILL be weaker and weaker. As the experiment shows the gene tends to fix itself if new blood (genes) is provided.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

"Mortality rate" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mortality rate"   "Mortality rate" Empty

Back to top Go down

"Mortality rate"
Page 1 of 1