Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

When should a BN let out his fryÉ Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

When should a BN let out his fryÉ Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

When should a BN let out his fryÉ

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
plecodragon
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 8
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2012-02-24

When should a BN let out his fryÉ Empty
PostSubject: When should a BN let out his fryÉ   When should a BN let out his fryÉ EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 12:57 am

How soon should a male ABN let out his fry?
I have three escapees and they have used up most if not all of their eggs sacs and now are seeming to be latched onto the zuchinni.
Was wondering if I should lift up papa plecos cave and let the remaining fry out?
I know he has a clutch if not two with him.
He tends to hold onto his fry. His first three batches one day just appeared and they were 1cm long and quite big, so I think he was hiding/protecting them, but they were weak and over 99% died over the next few weeks. Out of over 70 fry I was left with 4. Not very good.
This 2nd last batch he kicked-for whatever reason and I artificially raised them and out of 15 fry I still have 14 and they are larger than their 2+ month old siblings.
So what do you think I should do-leave him alone and let him release his fry when ready or should I do it for him Question
There are 7 cories with the BN in that tank.
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: When should a BN let out his fryÉ   When should a BN let out his fryÉ EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 1:44 am

It all depends on the individual male and the type of cave on how soon the fry emerge. Once the fry start moving around it becomes harder for the male to keep them in the cave. Just leave him to it they may come out in dribs and drabs or he may just let them out on mass.

When the fry emerged in the past what was your normal feeding and water change routines for them.

Back to top Go down
plecodragon
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: When should a BN let out his fryÉ   When should a BN let out his fryÉ EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 4:03 am

My first few batches of fry were fed zuchinni (maybe too much) as it really polluted the tank water and it is likely the cause of the mass dieoffs. I learned from that mistake.
I would put pieces of zuchinni in a veggie clip and they ate okay for a while and then they slowly stopped-may have been the water or maybe they couldn't find the food as quickly as they needed as they were all over my twenty gallon long.
My 2nd last batch have been raised in a plastic floating breeder box with 4 time daily water changes and new zuchinni everyday or whenever they finish off the last pieces.
This batch has had total fish owner support as they were kicked and would have been lunch for my cories- lucky water-change and the eggs were found. Cool Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: When should a BN let out his fryÉ   When should a BN let out his fryÉ EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 7:53 am

best bet is to leave the timing of fry release to dad.

when it comes to food fresh veges are the best for the young ones. though change them over on a regular basis, particually the zucchini as it will pollute the tank badly!
Back to top Go down
mmccannon
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
mmccannon

Number of posts : 346
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: When should a BN let out his fryÉ   When should a BN let out his fryÉ EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 2:47 pm

Agree with Doug, leave it up to dad.

The strong will survive and the weak will die. Crual, but that is the way nature works.

All you could do is monitor the quality of the water, and leave the cuc, etc. only during the course of the night.
Back to top Go down
plecodragon
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: When should a BN let out his fryÉ   When should a BN let out his fryÉ EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 4:20 am

When should a BN let out his fryÉ 1650918589 Papa pleco either let his fry out today or some decided to go explore alone. I have at least 4 that were in the main tank and a few I saw were deciding if they wanted out or if they wanted to stay with Papa a little longer. Those long whiskers are a good defense and the young are very defenseless. Thou my cories seem like they could care less. Thanks for all the help.
Back to top Go down
Mooo
V.I.P Member
Mooo

Female Number of posts : 957
Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : What?
Thank You Points : 36
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: When should a BN let out his fryÉ   When should a BN let out his fryÉ EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:52 pm

You will find that they go back in also Smile cute little things...Congrats Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.livefish.com.au
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When should a BN let out his fryÉ   When should a BN let out his fryÉ Empty

Back to top Go down

When should a BN let out his fryÉ
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: The Breeding Cave-
Jump to: