Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

i got a proven breeding pair

Go down 
+4
kfenk
Bristlenoses
Doug
Down2Earth
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Number of posts : 203
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2012-02-18

i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 6:43 pm

female made it in the cave. was in there for a good while..... no eggs were laid....... not sure what that was all about then.

female is back out and about and the male is inside now. fins all out and fanned out agian
Back to top Go down
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Jeff

Male Number of posts : 307
Job/hobbies : Semi-retired / Lord of the Rings Online
Humor : dry
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 6:49 pm

Hehe... a watched pot never boils... so they say Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 7:00 pm

this is my first time seeing this so its exciting. the female is back by his cave. so hope they try again..... i wanted to be here since there is a rapheal cat fish in this tank. i need to pull him out and put him with my discus. but i think it will be fine. ill be home b4 the lights go out in the tank.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 7:52 pm

My female always goes into the cave a few times and back out and usualy it is the next day i see eggs in there.So that is very positive news.You will probably see eggs very soon i would think.
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 8:05 pm

the female is in there right now for the 4th time. they keep going back and forth with this.

the male traps her in there and swims really fast into the cave but not gettin any place.

so strange.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 10:16 pm

That is usual behaviour just be patient it may not be until tomorrow that you see eggs. Smile
Back to top Go down
jond4261
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
jond4261

Male Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Job: Electrician. Hobbies: Fish Keeping and watching Cricket.
Humor : sarcastic
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2010-11-30

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Just remeber if you do think he is on eggs, don't go shining a torch in the cave, it can cause him to boot the eggs..!! Better not seeing the eggs and getting some some wrigglers, rather than trying to get a look at the eggs and him booting them.

cheers

Jon
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 11:55 pm

LOL im glad u told me about the flash light thing. i want to look in there so bad. but i figure i will know if i have babys in about 10 days right?
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 12:27 am

another question. i have a rapheal catfish in this tank with these pleco. from what i have read already this is not a good fish to have in the breeding tank.

he seems to hide in the bog wood.

so this being said when would be a good time to pull this fish out of the tank ?

the bog wood is next to the males cave. or should i pull his cave out and put him in the 20 long ?
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 3:16 pm

Raphael catfish are nocturnal, he will hide in the bogwood during the day but at night he will be prowling around for food.

To be on the safe side I would move him ASAP, the BN's will be better in the larger tank as this will be better for growing on any fry.

Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 3:29 pm

this tank has a sump with an over flow box is the only reason i dont think its good ot have the babies in it. instead of slits the box has a bunch of 1/8" holes to drain the water out of the tank. this is to prevent the 3/4" pleco from gettin sucked into it. but im afraid the babies will still get sucked into it.

what do you think ?

i want to move them to the 20 gallon to be safe. it has a heater and sponge filter for them. nothing that will harm them.
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 3:51 pm

Whatever is best for you, fry do have an annoying habit of wanting to get into filtration systems lol! Although given recent activity it may be better to wait a few days in case it disturbs the male.

If you could post some pictures of the set up you might get some suggestions on how to stop the risk of fry getting into the drain holes.
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 6:40 pm

i have not checked with the flash light yet. but i dont think i have eggs. since the male is all the way inside the cave. i dont think he would be like that if he had eggs in the cave with him.

when i get out of class i will try and post some pics online of the over flow box. just the part that is in the tank.

should i do a water change now ? of like 10 gallons or so. i want to do this so i can pull the box out of the tank and take some of the debri that is floating around in the tank out. plus im going to try to get that rapheal out of the tank at this time. but maybe this is too much to do right now since my pair has not laid the eggs yet....

hope to get a reply to this between now and when i get home so i have an idea what yall think before i do it.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 6:57 pm

Waterchange would be a good thing, be sure to do no more than 25% tho. Pics will help us to determine what you should do next, so take several and include all areas of your set up for best advice Very Happy

Am looking forward to pics myself and will not judge, only here to help cheers
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 7:46 pm

i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 IMG_0712
i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 IMG_0712
i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 IMG_0710

here is a picture of the over flow box. you can see the 2 rows of holes. these holes are on 3 sides of the box... above them is the teeth. so if something clogs all the wholes some how the teeth will allow water to still go into the box. not flooding my house.
i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 IMG_0709
Back to top Go down
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Omg that is a huge tank! Great for breeding lots of baby bn!

Do waterchange to help induce them, pull out Raphael and then it's just a matter of time.

I feel that there may be eggs yet as a male staying completely inside his cave seems normal to me Nice one

Nice angels you have there!
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 8:48 pm

i have a long fin black and white angel i like. the rest will be sold once they hit adult size.
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 9:56 pm

well i did the water change. got the rapheal out.

the male pleco is going in and out of his cave now. the female is out by the side of the tank. i think i freaked her out when i moved the bog wood to get the rapheal.

nothing to do now but wait for all the stuff floating in the water to settle down. so she can go back under the bogwood where shes been for a week or so.
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 11:45 pm

i just spotted my male pleco hangin out of his cave. so i got my light and shinned it in his cave. he has eggs... good thing i took the rapheal out of the tank. only thing left to worry about is the angel fish. but thats not for a few more days .....

how long till these little guys hatch?
Back to top Go down
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 11:51 pm

Grats!!

It takes 4-5 days till they become wrigglers, and another 4-5 days till they consume their eggsacs and emerge from the cave.

Some may escape the cave earlier, for me this is normal. Good Job
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 2:02 am

with the angel fish in the tank. should i worry about them eating the babies as they come out or will they be fine ?

i do not have a stand for my 20 gallon tank. so i dont really have a place to set it up.

i could put it on the floor. but my great dane might drink out of it........

Back to top Go down
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 2:16 am

Dunno if angels will eat the fry... Bn fry are fast, and angels are slow... I'd make sure the angels are well fed tho Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 2:31 am

the angels seem to eat the wafers i drop in the tank. they also eat flake 2-3 times a day
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 2:34 am

the angles will have a field day chasing the BN fry.

even if they dont get many they will stress them out.
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 3:13 am

ok so if they do try chasing them. should i move the male and his cave to my 20 gallon ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: i got a proven breeding pair    i got a proven breeding pair  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

i got a proven breeding pair
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next