Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

PLeco not attached to anything, health probelm? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

PLeco not attached to anything, health probelm? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

PLeco not attached to anything, health probelm?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kang Moy
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 21
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2012-02-12

PLeco not attached to anything, health probelm? Empty
PostSubject: PLeco not attached to anything, health probelm?   PLeco not attached to anything, health probelm? EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 5:34 am

i have a large 4 inch female albino bn pleco who is usually not attached to anything, always found hiding in many places throughout the tank and sometimes found hiding under things, but never attached to them with it's mouth, very strange behavior and i checked for diseases but no apparent diseases, and no fin rot. i also don't think it is eating or i don't see it eating. it also has long striny white poop, i treated it for internal and external parasites and bacterical infections for a week already before introduction to male.

i introduced her into the tank two weeks ago trying to spawn her with my 3 inch male, but so far no luck it has already been 2 weeks. Is there such thing as a female albino bn pleco that is too old to breed?

is the "not attaching to things" a sign of a health issue?

can female plecos be eggbound if so how can you tells if she is eggbound?

Tank size and setup:35gal

Substrate:none

filtration (Internal, external, flow rate, last cleaned and what it was cleaned in):2 20gal internal fliters

Airstone/sponge filter etc:1 10gal airstone

Inhabitance: 3inch male albino bn pleco, 4inch female albino bn pleco

Fish affected by issue (all/bottom dwellers, all bristlenose or a single fish etc):nope no effect

Feeding system (what, how much, how often):zucchi, cucumber, algae wafer, carrot, one or the other once a day.

current water change system (before illness appeared):every 2 days

water changes made since illness appeared:every 2 days

As many levels as you know (pH, Ammonia, nitrate, nitirite, KH, GH, TDS, aanything you can find out, your local fish shop should be able to help with this):PH is 6.8, ammonia 0, nitrate 2.6, nitrite 0, (KH, GH, TDS) unknown.

any chemicals used (including carbon/chemical fitration inside the filter):carbon in fliter

water source and treatment:water only has chorine, not chloramines, i use aquasafe.

Major changes in the last 3 weeks (new fish, new plants, new anything or changes): none

Symptoms (gasping, not moving, bloated, spots, wounds, stressed colours etc): not attach to anything, long white stringy poop, fins look kinda red, like it was injured.

Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: PLeco not attached to anything, health probelm?   PLeco not attached to anything, health probelm? EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Hi,Did you remove the carbon from the filter when you treated the fish?

With the redness it sounds like she has a bacterial infection of some sort going on?

Does she look bloated at all?

What did you treat her with?

My advice is to remove carbon and treat with an antibacterial medication such as esha 2000.I have used it with my bristlenoses and even fry and it don't harm them and i have had very good results with it.You can leave the male in the tank while treating it will not harm him.
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: PLeco not attached to anything, health probelm?   PLeco not attached to anything, health probelm? EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 12:16 pm

Although I can not see anything in the diet to cause it, long striny white poop is often an indicator of BLOAT , as also is the not eating, when attached to objects they are often rasping the surface for food.

The treatment for internal and external parasites and bacterical infections may be effective if caught early enough and you could try some deshelled blanched peas(acts as a natural laxative) which may also tempt it to eat.

The red in the fins could be a more worrying sign but without pictures it's only a guess.

If you could post some pics it would help.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PLeco not attached to anything, health probelm?   PLeco not attached to anything, health probelm? Empty

Back to top Go down

PLeco not attached to anything, health probelm?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: The Pleco Hospital-
Jump to: