Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Bristlenose and Power Filter Return Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Bristlenose and Power Filter Return Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bristlenose and Power Filter Return

Go down 
+3
Bristlenoses
Doug
Minas
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Minas
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 5
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2012-03-07

Bristlenose and Power Filter Return Empty
PostSubject: Bristlenose and Power Filter Return   Bristlenose and Power Filter Return EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 6:08 am

My pleco seems to have a death wish with the water return on my power filter. What can I do to prevent this. See the photo.

Bristlenose and Power Filter Return Dscn0610
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose and Power Filter Return   Bristlenose and Power Filter Return EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 8:05 am

use a different filter lol!

they like the current and will always be attracted to it with that filter
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose and Power Filter Return   Bristlenose and Power Filter Return EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 1:39 pm

Hi,have you got a good water surface agitation and a good current running throughout the tank or is it just localised in a small area?
Back to top Go down
Minas
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose and Power Filter Return   Bristlenose and Power Filter Return EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 4:01 pm

Quote :
Hi,have you got a good water surface agitation and a good current running throughout the tank or is it just localised in a small area?

I have a full bubble wall on the back of the tank.

Quote :
use a different filter

they like the current and will always be attracted to it with that filter

If that is the only option, I might have to return the BN. Getting a new filter is not something I would like to do.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose and Power Filter Return   Bristlenose and Power Filter Return EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 6:23 pm

If you can make more current throughout the tank it would help.You could buy a cheapish filter for this reason and just add it and keep the one you have aswell.
Back to top Go down
Minas
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose and Power Filter Return   Bristlenose and Power Filter Return EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 2:39 am

Thanks for the advice. I'll try adding another filter to the other side of the tank to see if that helps.
Back to top Go down
kaban
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
kaban

Male Number of posts : 164
Job/hobbies : concractor
Humor : not much to be serious about
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2012-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose and Power Filter Return   Bristlenose and Power Filter Return EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 6:51 pm

It won't do. It's probably the algies growing in the filter they're atracted to. I've created stream in my tank (canister filter - intake on one side, exhaust on another. The current IS really strong. And still every week I find 1-3 little ones in small Marineland that I'm using as a back-up "justincase". It was same story with every HOB filter that I used.
Surprisingly, they're alive. Water movement provides oxygen and there's plenty of algies, so I just gave up.
Back to top Go down
http://banka.ca
Aleishoo
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Aleishoo

Female Number of posts : 93
Job/hobbies : Painting, landscaping, photography
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Bristlenose and Power Filter Return   Bristlenose and Power Filter Return EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 10:25 pm

For my baby pleco tanks, I drop the water level an inch below the lip of the return. I do this, as it seems to give better water movement and higher oxygen exchange. Never thought about them crawling right into the filter.
Shiela
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose and Power Filter Return   Bristlenose and Power Filter Return EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 10:31 pm

bristlenose love current, LOVE IT! ever seen all your new babies sitting in the flow of a power filter, its the current they love. And lets face it, who wouldnt, it means they dont have to activly breathe, must be so relaxing not having to remember all the time Laughing

HOB filters are always a trap for them and you will always end up with some that get in there. however, as mentioned above, drop the water level or put some sponge over the outlet and you will be ok...or use it as a way to trap fry to move into another tank Smile
Back to top Go down
Minas
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose and Power Filter Return   Bristlenose and Power Filter Return EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 4:50 pm

Today, at 1027 local time, Pete the Longed-fin Albino Plecostomus was found dead. Police are investigating the scene of the crime at this time. Reports are that Pete was seen over the last few nights entering the return flow of a Marine Emperor power filter. Reasons are still unknown why he wanted to enter this spinning death trap. Was it in search of food? Local resident Nathan disagrees. When asked, he said. "The tank was full of food. Algae tablets, blood worms, and even fresh vegetables littered the bottom of his home."

It is a sad day in Saint Charles today. Residents there mourn the lost of not only a good fish, but a good friend. What can we learn for Pete? Filters are dangerous, and you should not mess with them. You might get a fun ride, but in the case of Pete, you might end up dead.

Last edited by Minas on Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Minas
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose and Power Filter Return   Bristlenose and Power Filter Return EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 4:51 pm

Also, I had dropped the water level, but I guess not enough Bristlenose and Power Filter Return 484291715
Back to top Go down
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Jeff

Male Number of posts : 307
Job/hobbies : Semi-retired / Lord of the Rings Online
Humor : dry
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose and Power Filter Return   Bristlenose and Power Filter Return EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 5:24 pm

Too bad he was quite handsome... rest in peace

Back to top Go down
Aleishoo
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Aleishoo

Female Number of posts : 93
Job/hobbies : Painting, landscaping, photography
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose and Power Filter Return   Bristlenose and Power Filter Return EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 5:56 pm

Sorry to hear that Pete's adventuresome spirit could not be tamed.
As mentioned by Jeff, he was a handsome fellow.
shiela
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose and Power Filter Return   Bristlenose and Power Filter Return EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 6:33 pm

It's a shame Petes' adventures have come to such a tragic end Sad , sadly they can not resist the dangers of a fast current.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose and Power Filter Return   Bristlenose and Power Filter Return EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 10:12 pm

Bristlenose and Power Filter Return 484291715
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose and Power Filter Return   Bristlenose and Power Filter Return Empty

Back to top Go down

Bristlenose and Power Filter Return
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Bristlenose Issues-
Jump to: