Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Liquid Gravel Vac? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Liquid Gravel Vac? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Liquid Gravel Vac?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
karenleepa
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 10
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-12-30

Liquid Gravel Vac? Empty
PostSubject: Liquid Gravel Vac?   Liquid Gravel Vac? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 10:24 pm

I'm curious if anyone has used Liquid Gravel Vac by Tropical Science. It apparently breaks down solid food waste and fish waste so that it mixes with the water and is more easily removed from the tank with regular water changes.

I would love something that gets rid of the solids. My tank is 2 feet deep and vacuuming the gravel is a real chore. I have 4 goldfish and a pleco (as much waste as my goldfish). I have to vacuum every week to get even close to getting rid of the solid waste.

I'm guessing that it can require more water changes. Don't know a lot about it. Have a call into the company for more specifics.

Just curious what the pleco world thinks.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Liquid Gravel Vac? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid Gravel Vac?   Liquid Gravel Vac? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 11:33 pm

a quick bit of reading indicates that it may be a bit of a waste fo time.

Get a longer gravel vac and it will be easier Smile

the issue i can see with it is that it is an arobic bacteria and the sludge in the bottom of the tank is anaerobic so the bacteria can survive down there.

I am always skeptical of things that claim to make aquarium cleaning easier. The best cure for aquarium maintenence is proper set up and correct tools Very Happy

that said, i have not used the product or know anyone who has, this is simply my thoughts based on information at hand
Back to top Go down
karenleepa
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Liquid Gravel Vac? Empty
PostSubject: What I need is a better gravel vac...   Liquid Gravel Vac? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 5:00 pm

Thanks Doug! Here's what happens though with the longer gravel vacs, they get wider. Then the amount of bottom debris that gets sucked up with the water is far less. I have one, it's nice, it hooks up to the faucet and can fill the tank as well. But I can't do the whole bottom because too much water is taken out due to the wider apparatus. I need to do some more shopping...I may have to buy a high end one.

I think I'm going to look into rigging up an under gravel filter, not to use as a filter, but to use when I do my water change. Why not suck the water through the gravel and out underneath? That way it would pull all the sludge down and out...at least that would be the plan...need to shop and see if the bottom filters have been adapted to work with a gravel vac. javascript:emoticonp('Smile')

I've decided to give the Liquid Gravel Vac a try. I think that because it speeds up the breakdown of the solid waste, I will have to stay on top of the numbers and may have to change out water more often, but if I can avoid the gravel vac to get rid of solid waste, I'm game. I'll report back and let you know how it goes, although most folks on here probably don't have as big of a solid waste issue as I do with the goldfish.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Liquid Gravel Vac? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid Gravel Vac?   Liquid Gravel Vac? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 10:38 pm

This is true, and something i have noted at the shop i work at too. all the longer ones have bigger hoses, great if you have a massive tank like im getting where you need to change more water but what if you have a smaller tank that is just taller...annoying.

try one of these, These i have used and they are epic! do a gravel vac with this then do a water change. it does stur up the muck a bit but your filters will clear it up quick and its nice and long.

http://www.eheim.com/products/detail/Quick-Vac-pro
Back to top Go down
karenleepa
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Liquid Gravel Vac? Empty
PostSubject: Ah Ha!!   Liquid Gravel Vac? EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 2:45 am

That looks like a great option and I can do it on a regular basis to keep the sludge, as they call it, to a minimum. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
karenleepa
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Liquid Gravel Vac? Empty
PostSubject: liquid gravel vac update   Liquid Gravel Vac? EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 3:29 pm

I did try the liquid gravel vac and I like it very much. It's basically bacteria: aerobic heterotrophic bacteria that of course eats away at the waste and should live naturally in the top layers of your substrate.

The Dude (my bristlenose) hangs in one spot when he's not eating and used to get a good pile up of waste there. No more.

I do still vacuum when I do the regular water change, but not as often. I may feel like it's unnecessary after awhile, there is far less 'sludge' in the substrate now.

After reading about the silent killer at http://aquaworldaquarium.com/Articles/TonyGriffitts/silent_killer.htm
I'm looking at slowly changing my substrate from flat-marbles to sand. The type of substrate I have may be the real problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Liquid Gravel Vac? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid Gravel Vac?   Liquid Gravel Vac? Empty

Back to top Go down

Liquid Gravel Vac?
Page 1 of 1