Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

how many males is too many males? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

how many males is too many males? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

how many males is too many males?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Number of posts : 203
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2012-02-18

how many males is too many males? Empty
PostSubject: how many males is too many males?   how many males is too many males? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 11:06 pm

alright. i have 2 tanks with 2 female and 1 male.

first tank is 2 albino female with a albino male. i want to add a brown male. (this trio produces browns anyways)

i also have a trio of long fin albinos. i happen to find a long fin male in with my short fin albino trio in another tank. so can i add him to this trio.

i have 2 caves in both tanks. both tanks are 20 gallon long tanks.

would i be ok adding thing additional male ?

or

should i just take one female from each tank and put in with the new males?

or

should i get another female to add in with the males making it 3 female to 2 males ?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: how many males is too many males?   how many males is too many males? EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 1:28 am

hrmmm, Adding another bristlenose male might cause some issues, it def will not lead to a higher spawn rate. in fact it might slow it down.

Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: how many males is too many males?   how many males is too many males? EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 1:34 am

Females will mostly go for the dominant male. So it's best to have just the one. If you want them to be pumping out the fry then your best bet is to split them up into pairs. Its less work for the males with one female so sharing the load leads to healthier males Smile
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: how many males is too many males?   how many males is too many males? EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 3:29 am

well. since my long fins are not ready to pair up yet. and my albino short fins are. im going to leave the 2 males long fins in the same tank till they are a little bigger. im also going to leave my brown male in the discus tank. let me know what you think about this.
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: how many males is too many males?   how many males is too many males? EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 6:34 am

It's up to you if you want to do it that way.

In my experience the subdominant males will cave and mature better without another male in the tank. With my marble longfins that just bred for me I had them all in with my albino longfin trio. Now as the alb lfs were the older and dominant breeders the marble longfins to me didn't look mature yet. Then when I moved them to they're own tank it only took month or so to show signs of breeding. Then with good feeding the females got nice and gravid. Wasn't long before they bred Smile So in my opinion you should separate the males, let them have a girl each and even if it take a month or two they should all be breeding (if the males are old enough) Then you'll be overrun with fry Wink
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: how many males is too many males?   how many males is too many males? EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 3:43 pm

well in that case. my long fins need another stand for them self. i have 2x 20 gal long tanks on a custom stand. i will have 2 pairs of long fins instead of a trio and a lost male.

i think i also have another unsexed long fin in my tank also. but its too small to tell what it is yet. hope for it to be a female to be part of my trio again .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how many males is too many males?   how many males is too many males? Empty

Back to top Go down

how many males is too many males?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Bristlenose Talk-
Jump to: