Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Ratios of Female to Males Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Ratios of Female to Males Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ratios of Female to Males

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dragonboy69
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
dragonboy69

Male Number of posts : 88
Job/hobbies : Storeman
Humor : Yes
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2012-05-21

Ratios of Female to Males Empty
PostSubject: Ratios of Female to Males   Ratios of Female to Males EmptyFri May 25, 2012 12:41 pm

Im wondering if there is a safe maximum amount of females to male ratio that you put together. I'm assuming about 3 or 4 max. Wondering what you would put. Also would you need a log for each amount of females or a log for each amount of males. That is if you had say 4 females to 1 male would you need 4 logs or 1 log.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Jeff

Male Number of posts : 307
Job/hobbies : Semi-retired / Lord of the Rings Online
Humor : dry
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Ratios of Female to Males   Ratios of Female to Males EmptyFri May 25, 2012 1:41 pm

Probably the max Bn you could put in your tank (adults) would be 1 for every 5 gallons/20 liters. Ratio could be 2 or 3 females to 1 male (only 1 male would be dominant).

Multiple males per tank would require 1 cave per male, and best to keep them from being able to see each other while in their caves.

As for how much wood is required depends on the size of the log imo(I give my bn plenty)

I keep my breeding pair (very prolific) in 33g 3ft tank. They are the only fish in the tank, but could be kept in a 10g. My pair produce 100 fry/month, which are moved to a 55g 4ft each month before the next batch comes out of the cave to grow out to saleable size... approx 3 months. Also I remove eggs every 3rd spawn to prevent overcrowding.

Here is a recent pic of my breeding tank. 33g 3ft (1 male and 1 female Abn)
Ratios of Female to Males Tanks001

grow out tank 4ft 55g which I limit to 200 fry
Ratios of Female to Males Newtankpics001

and project/back up tank 3ft 33g which houses 1 sf abn male, 2 juvie lf abn males, and 6 juvie albino/common X(all common)
Ratios of Female to Males Newtankpics005
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Ratios of Female to Males   Ratios of Female to Males EmptyFri May 25, 2012 10:30 pm

There is a really great book that i suggest you read that will answer all of these questions for you. and for only $19 for nearly 70 pages of bristlenose gold its an investment in your hobby which you cant really live without. See the link in my signature.

My rule of thumb to stick with is one male per 1.5square feet of tank bottom. so in a standard 3ft tank you could safely have two males. and then two males per female. This is the ratio for keeping them in a dispaly tank. For breeding purposes you are best to have a pair or trio only, regardless of tank size.
Back to top Go down
jond4261
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
jond4261

Male Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Job: Electrician. Hobbies: Fish Keeping and watching Cricket.
Humor : sarcastic
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2010-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Ratios of Female to Males   Ratios of Female to Males EmptyTue May 29, 2012 8:42 pm

Doug wrote:
There is a really great book that i suggest you read that will answer all of these questions for you. and for only $19 for nearly 70 pages of bristlenose gold its an investment in your hobby which you cant really live without. See the link in my signature.

My rule of thumb to stick with is one male per 1.5square feet of tank bottom. so in a standard 3ft tank you could safely have two males. and then two males per female. This is the ratio for keeping them in a dispaly tank. For breeding purposes you are best to have a pair or trio only, regardless of tank size.

I think he means two females to one male.....

cheers

Jon
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Ratios of Female to Males   Ratios of Female to Males EmptyTue May 29, 2012 11:35 pm

jond4261 wrote:
Doug wrote:

I think he means two females to one male.....

cheers

Jon

I do, cheers Jon cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ratios of Female to Males   Ratios of Female to Males Empty

Back to top Go down

Ratios of Female to Males
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Bristlenose Issues-