Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

BRISTLENOSE CATFISH - PEPPERMINT -  STARLIGHT Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

BRISTLENOSE CATFISH - PEPPERMINT -  STARLIGHT Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

BRISTLENOSE CATFISH - PEPPERMINT - STARLIGHT

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ianp213
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 3
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2012-02-18

BRISTLENOSE CATFISH - PEPPERMINT -  STARLIGHT Empty
PostSubject: BRISTLENOSE CATFISH - PEPPERMINT - STARLIGHT   BRISTLENOSE CATFISH - PEPPERMINT -  STARLIGHT EmptyWed May 30, 2012 12:25 am

G' Day,

Can anyone explain the difference between the Peppermint and Starlight Catfish? I have several of what i was told were Peppermint! To me looking at the photo close ups I can't tell the difference! the tank is also lousy with CRS.

I have been advised to move the BN to a smaller tank currently they are in a 400litre tank and the suggested other tank is aprox 75litre. There are three (3) colonies of 2 female to 1 male, a total of 9 adults altogether!

I have also been told that they prefer dirty water, and I have mine set up as a display tank with clean active water?

Any advise is welcome!!! BRISTLENOSE CATFISH - PEPPERMINT -  STARLIGHT 3235774899

ianp213
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Number of posts : 239
Thank You Points : 9
Registration date : 2012-05-03

PostSubject: Re: BRISTLENOSE CATFISH - PEPPERMINT - STARLIGHT   BRISTLENOSE CATFISH - PEPPERMINT -  STARLIGHT EmptyWed May 30, 2012 3:14 am

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm The pepps i cant help with.

9 adults in a 75lt tank to me is too small. there will be fights between the males & trying to keep the tank clean will be a pain. its suggested 1.5-2ft of space per male.

I am not sure what you mean by "dirty" water. Mine, because of the tannins from the wood, has a yellow/brown tinge to the water. But with a blue or black background you wont notice it. But if you are referring to the water actually being dirty with dirt and food matter - nope most will not tollerate it too well as bacteria and parameters will be haywire Wink
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: BRISTLENOSE CATFISH - PEPPERMINT - STARLIGHT   BRISTLENOSE CATFISH - PEPPERMINT -  STARLIGHT EmptyWed May 30, 2012 1:55 pm

ok, so the difference between a peppermint and a starlight. Peppermints are an Australian thing. Since the pleco ban came into place here in the late 70s we have only had a few different types of bristlenose. There may have been one to two similar types of 'peppermint' style bristlenose here but they have all been bred together and have become a distinct different type of bristlenose. While very similar to the starlight they are slightly different, generally they are not as jet black and the spotting is less defined and there is less of it. One might consider them to be like the inbred cousin of the starlight.

Second, they like 'dirty water'. Hrmm, this is a tricky question because it depends what they mean by dirty water. Yes, if you look at the amazon river it is very 'drity'. it carries a huge sediment load and you can't see more than a few cms through it. However, if you remove the suspended sediment then you realise it is actually very clean water. It is basically muddy rain water which is very low in disolved organics, salts and other nasties. So, they do come from dirty water sure, but does this mean you should throw a ball of wet clay into your tank...hell no! Keep your water as clean as possible. Put it this way, I'm a 26 year old male, I CAN live in a unit with clothes piled up high against the walls, dishes stacked up in the sink, old macdonalds wrappers blowing around and only having small trails through all the junk to get through the unit BUT I would rather live in a 5 star hotel where there is not a speck of dust and someone cleans it every day for me.

9 bristlenose in 75ltr tank. WAY TOO MANY!! however, 9 in the 400ltr tank is fine. If you have the smaller one then i would move one male and two females into it to see if they will breed for you. Def dont move them all. Peppermints and starlights are slightly more agressive that common bristlenose and will become more territorial that the commons.

hope that helps Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Tech Den
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 15
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-05-19

PostSubject: Re: BRISTLENOSE CATFISH - PEPPERMINT - STARLIGHT   BRISTLENOSE CATFISH - PEPPERMINT -  STARLIGHT EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 8:28 am

Just off the top of my head I think the two that they refer to as Starlight Pleco are a L182 and L183 and with the L182 from what I am led to believe will grow up to about 25cm and the L183 I believe have a white seam that remains with them where as the Aussie ones are smaller than L182 and the looses the white seam when they grow out into adults. I hope it ok to put a link http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=1249 this is the ones that I believe we have in Australia.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BRISTLENOSE CATFISH - PEPPERMINT - STARLIGHT   BRISTLENOSE CATFISH - PEPPERMINT -  STARLIGHT Empty

Back to top Go down

BRISTLENOSE CATFISH - PEPPERMINT - STARLIGHT
Page 1 of 1