Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Snail Problem - Page 2 Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Snail Problem - Page 2 Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Snail Problem

Go down 
+10
Chad.C
L-666
mpfsr
marty14
Willow Midnight
ziggee
jond4261
hillbilly
Doug
jcvdjj
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Aleishoo
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Aleishoo

Female Number of posts : 93
Job/hobbies : Painting, landscaping, photography
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2012-02-23

Snail Problem - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail Problem   Snail Problem - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 3:00 pm

I bought 5 assassin snails about 6 weeks ago. I usually note that two are clumped together (male and female ?) I've noticed a few eggs laid on the underside of rocks. They don't seem to be too difficult to breed as long as you have a male and female. The lay a single egg packet and the eggs just don't seem to be laid out in the open and as obvious as other snails. I'd say take a closer look and you will probably find eggs as long as a male and female are present.
Back to top Go down
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
marty14

Male Number of posts : 224
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Snail Problem   Snail Problem - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 3:04 pm

Aleishoo wrote:
I bought 5 assassin snails about 6 weeks ago. I usually note that two are clumped together (male and female ?) I've noticed a few eggs laid on the underside of rocks. They don't seem to be too difficult to breed as long as you have a male and female. The lay a single egg packet and the eggs just don't seem to be laid out in the open and as obvious as other snails. I'd say take a closer look and you will probably find eggs as long as a male and female are present.
Cool, thanks for the tip.
Marty Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Number of posts : 203
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2012-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Snail Problem   Snail Problem - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 3:16 pm

im going to invest in some assassin snails my self. i have a few Malaysian trumpet snails. dont know if these guys are good for my tank and if they threaten my fry or BN eggs. but they are in one of my tanks only. so far.

but the assassin snails look cool and would like them in my other tanks. as long as they dont mess with eggs or fry.
Back to top Go down
jaffa1963
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
jaffa1963

Male Number of posts : 102
Job/hobbies : railway worker
Humor : victor meldrew
Registration date : 2011-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Snail Problem   Snail Problem - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 4:30 pm

Snails are hermaphrodite so don't worry about sex. They just do it to each other and they can both lay eggs so breeding is far easier than any fish you'll ever find. Even guppies!
Back to top Go down
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
marty14

Male Number of posts : 224
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Snail Problem   Snail Problem - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 4:52 pm

jaffa1963 wrote:
Snails are hermaphrodite so don't worry about sex. They just do it to each other and they can both lay eggs so breeding is far easier than any fish you'll ever find. Even guppies!
Cool, wouldn't it be great if fish could be like that. No hassles with sexing etc.
Marty Snail Problem - Page 2 1514952399
Back to top Go down
Aleishoo
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Aleishoo

Female Number of posts : 93
Job/hobbies : Painting, landscaping, photography
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Snail Problem   Snail Problem - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 5:15 pm

Not all snails are hermaphrodites. For instance, Apple snails and Assassins. The trumpets aka Malaysian live bearing snails give live birth but if I'm not mistaken also lay eggs. They usually remain hidden in the substrate during the day and are most noticeable an hour or so after the aquarium lights are turned off. They are great at aerating the substrate much like an earthworm does with soil. Id also mention I have had no luck in decreasing their population in my 55 gallon tank even with 2 large Yoyo loaches and a small puffer. They are so numerous that I'm considering tearing down the whole tank as I have so many they are an eyesore. In the future all live plants will be quarantined in one of my smaller tanks with my Assassins.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snail Problem   Snail Problem - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Snail Problem
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2