Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile




 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:03 pm

This may sound like a crazy question, but what other Plecs are compatible with male Bristlenoses. I would like to get some other Plecs a try.
I just want to keep the peace.
My tank is a Jewel Rio 180 (180 litres). There are just a couple of corys and swordtails besides the bristlenose in there at the moment.
Any ideas would really be cool.
Thanks
Marty Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 307
Age : 46
Location : Calgary AB Canada
Job/hobbies : Semi-retired / Lord of the Rings Online
Humor : dry
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:06 pm

I have kept Gold Nuggets, Rhinos (chocolate, Alligator), and Clown plecos with my Bristlenose with no problems... might not want to overcrowd them. I had to get rid of my Rubbernose(Bulldog) cuz he was disturbing the peace(VERY territorial) if anyone came near his home he would attack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:36 pm

Jeff wrote:
I have kept Gold Nuggets, Rhinos (chocolate, Alligator), and Clown plecos with my Bristlenose with no problems... might not want to overcrowd them. I had to get rid of my Rubbernose(Bulldog) cuz he was disturbing the peace(VERY territorial) if anyone came near his home he would attack.

Thank you, I just checked the ones out on your list the Rhino and the Gold Pleco look a little bit big for my tank but the clown does have definete promise and I will research him further.
It is always tricky to find compatible fish I really do not want WWIII in my tank.
Marty Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jond4261
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 249
Age : 55
Location : Northampton Uk
Job/hobbies : Job: Electrician. Hobbies: Fish Keeping and watching Cricket.
Humor : sarcastic
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2010-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:17 pm

Get a Flash Plec, beautiful little plecs, eat the same as your Bns too so no worries there. Mine gets on very well with my BNs

cheers

Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:23 pm

jond4261 wrote:
Get a Flash Plec, beautiful little plecs, eat the same as your Bns too so no worries there. Mine gets on very well with my BNs

cheers

Jon

Wow !!!
They do look really nice and they would be a great addition to my tank. Now I just have to track one down.
Thanks
Marty drunken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 307
Age : 46
Location : Calgary AB Canada
Job/hobbies : Semi-retired / Lord of the Rings Online
Humor : dry
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:10 am

Ya Gold Nuggets and rhinos grow to almost 9" and quite beefy, probably triple the weight. L204 flash are definitely beautiful and get along with Bn... a friend of mine keeps these together with no problems. Flash grow to about the same size as bn, their little brothers the clowns grow to about 1/2 the size of Bn. Good luck on your search Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geezer204
Fish Egg
Fish Egg


Number of posts : 10
Location : Omaha NE
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2012-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:55 am

GN are so cool! If only my water wasn't so dang hard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:13 am

Geezer204 wrote:
GN are so cool! If only my water wasn't so dang hard.

I have a similar problem but I started using Reverse Osmosis water. The kits are pretty cheap these days and so you can keep anything.
Marty Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:17 am

Jeff wrote:
Ya Gold Nuggets and rhinos grow to almost 9" and quite beefy, probably triple the weight. L204 flash are definitely beautiful and get along with Bn... a friend of mine keeps these together with no problems. Flash grow to about the same size as bn, their little brothers the clowns grow to about 1/2 the size of Bn. Good luck on your search Very Happy

Howdy thanks;
The Flash pleco looks like the best so far. Also I have plenty of wood in the tank and I read they like that. I just can't find one here in Germany, so strange plenty of other weird and wonderful fish but no Flash. But I will keep on searching. Unless somone can suggest a different one.
Thanks for all the great help.
Marty
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jond4261
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 249
Age : 55
Location : Northampton Uk
Job/hobbies : Job: Electrician. Hobbies: Fish Keeping and watching Cricket.
Humor : sarcastic
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2010-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:47 pm

email or PM Jo at Rare Aquatics pretty sure they could get you some.
Think they would probably ship to Germany as well. Definately worth asking.
You can get their contact details from the UK buy sell section on the forum.

cheers

Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:16 pm

jond4261 wrote:
email or PM Jo at Rare Aquatics pretty sure they could get you some.
Think they would probably ship to Germany as well. Definately worth asking.
You can get their contact details from the UK buy sell section on the forum.

cheers

Jon

Will do, thanks a lot.
Marty Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aleishoo
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose


Female Number of posts : 93
Age : 58
Location : Reno, Nevada
Job/hobbies : Painting, landscaping, photography
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:31 pm

At one time I kept a GN and 2 Clowns with my baby BN's and they all got along beautifully.
In my community tank I have a 5 inch Sultan with 2 sub adult ABN's and 2 Flat Flyers.
Rest of the inhabitants include 2 large Pakistani Loaches, 5 Neons, Mollies and even a small red eye puffer I added for snail control. All getting along nicely.
I think having enough space and caves is the key
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:48 pm

Aleishoo wrote:
At one time I kept a GN and 2 Clowns with my baby BN's and they all got along beautifully.
In my community tank I have a 5 inch Sultan with 2 sub adult ABN's and 2 Flat Flyers.
Rest of the inhabitants include 2 large Pakistani Loaches, 5 Neons, Mollies and even a small red eye puffer I added for snail control. All getting along nicely.
I think having enough space and caves is the key
Wow, what a motley crew. affraid
Thank is a cool tank I would like to see,
What size is it ???????
I have noted all the species and will research them.
maybe I will have more luck in tracking some of them down,
Thanks again
Marty Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aleishoo
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose


Female Number of posts : 93
Age : 58
Location : Reno, Nevada
Job/hobbies : Painting, landscaping, photography
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:20 pm

Luckily, I work in a LFS/Pond Maintenance store. We ordered a GN for a customer and they sent the spotted Flat Flyers.
I had hoped they were BN's but further research proved they were not. Actually took me 2 weeks of online searching to positively identify what they were.
I decided to take my GN in for the customer and trade him off for the large Sultan that came in as he is large and more visible.
It's nice as I also have an outlet to sell my baby BN's. The Discus people just love them !
I'm glad you started this thread as I've wanted a Spotted Rubbernose for quite some time. But the agression would likely screw up
up everything. I would not mind trying to give them their own tank and possibly breed them as I'm getting kinda hooked on the small
plecs.
We have a lot of the large common plecs that come into the store as well as Oscars and Red Devils. I'm having a lot of luck
placing them in good homes for a minimal price. My requirement is simply that your tank must be a minimum of 100 gallons and not overstocked.
Have fun in your search for compatible plecs. It helps to always look close at the fish in your LFS. Many times you can find something
cool that they don't even know they have.
oh yeah, and my community tank is just a 55 gallon (4 footer) Lots of rocks, caves and hiding spots. Even the little puffer plays nice : )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:31 pm

Aleishoo wrote:
Luckily, I work in a LFS/Pond Maintenance store. We ordered a GN for a customer and they sent the spotted Flat Flyers.
I had hoped they were BN's but further research proved they were not. Actually took me 2 weeks of online searching to positively identify what they were.
I decided to take my GN in for the customer and trade him off for the large Sultan that came in as he is large and more visible.
It's nice as I also have an outlet to sell my baby BN's. The Discus people just love them !
I'm glad you started this thread as I've wanted a Spotted Rubbernose for quite some time. But the agression would likely screw up
up everything. I would not mind trying to give them their own tank and possibly breed them as I'm getting kinda hooked on the small
plecs.
We have a lot of the large common plecs that come into the store as well as Oscars and Red Devils. I'm having a lot of luck
placing them in good homes for a minimal price. My requirement is simply that your tank must be a minimum of 100 gallons and not overstocked.
Have fun in your search for compatible plecs. It helps to always look close at the fish in your LFS. Many times you can find something
cool that they don't even know they have.
oh yeah, and my community tank is just a 55 gallon (4 footer) Lots of rocks, caves and hiding spots. Even the little puffer plays nice : )

Hi,
I know how it is to work in a LFS, I used to work in one when I was back home in Sydney. Makes for interesting fish in one's tank.
Unfortunately for my time here in Germany it is tough to track down certain fish. The selection seems pretty small.
Amazing what you have manged to live happily in your tank. Seems to break a lot of rules. But it goes to show.
The puffers surprise me the most. But you never know until you try, I say.
I agree about the rubbernose, they do seem a little boisterous.
Well, I guess my search will go on.
Marty
Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kfenk
Moderator
Moderator


Male Number of posts : 1432
Age : 31
Location : Adelaide, South Australia
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:43 am

wow I can't believe you are finding it so hard to locate fish in Germany. They are like the finest fish breeders in the world. You know fish are quality when they have (German Bred) next to the name. I bet if you went searching on German sites you would be able to find some awesome fish

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:33 pm

kfenk wrote:
wow I can't believe you are finding it so hard to locate fish in Germany. They are like the finest fish breeders in the world. You know fish are quality when they have (German Bred) next to the name. I bet if you went searching on German sites you would be able to find some awesome fish

You are right there are a lot of fish sites here, but I still can't find the Flash Pleco. How ironic.
But I must say hardware for keeping fish is pretty cheap here. I just bought a Jewel Rio 180 tank with cabinet for €299 (AU$ 360). Check out how much they cost in Oz.
But I guess it does help because it is all made here.
But my search for the Pleco goes on.
Any other suggestions ? Shocked
Marty
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doug
Moderator
Moderator


Male Number of posts : 3128
Age : 30
Location : Adelaide, South Australia
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:26 am

Hrmmm, I would be looking through a lot of the mags there. Remember that Das aquarium and some of the other large german mags are responsible for the L number system and might have classifieds Very Happy

_________________
Doug's Bristlenose eBook -
The number one source of Bristlenose information and the most detailed breeding guide avaliable
3rd edition LOADS OF INFORMATION, PICS, DIAGRAMS AND BRISTLENOSE GOODNESS

GO TO www.keepingandbreedingbristlenose.com FOR YOUR COPY!!

Like my book - why not "Like" it on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Keeping-and-Breeding-Bristlenose-Catfish/142417842474993
Click here to vote for Bristlenose World
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:05 pm

Doug wrote:
Hrmmm, I would be looking through a lot of the mags there. Remember that Das aquarium and some of the other large german mags are responsible for the L number system and might have classifieds Very Happy

Thanks, that is a really good idea.
I guess you can tell I am still pretty green when it comes to Plecos and also fishkepping here in Germany.
Just a lost Aussie at the other side of the world.
Marty Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KYANGELSNCORYS
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 187
Age : 65
Location : FRANKLIN ,KENTUCKY
Job/hobbies : BASS/CRAPPIE FISHING-TROPICAL FISH
Humor : MY KIDS TELL ME IM OLDER THEN DIRT
Thank You Points : 7
Registration date : 2010-10-20

PostSubject: KEEP LOOKING   Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:37 pm

only thing i can say is stick to your goal and get what you want no matter how long it takes to find it because only then you will be happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:43 pm

KYANGELSNCORYS wrote:
only thing i can say is stick to your goal and get what you want no matter how long it takes to find it because only then you will be happy
Hi;
That is a very true statement. I guess it goes with Plecos just as anything in life.
Thank you.
Marty
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KYANGELSNCORYS
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 187
Age : 65
Location : FRANKLIN ,KENTUCKY
Job/hobbies : BASS/CRAPPIE FISHING-TROPICAL FISH
Humor : MY KIDS TELL ME IM OLDER THEN DIRT
Thank You Points : 7
Registration date : 2010-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:37 pm

cheers I looked for a very long time before i found any LDA 01 GOLD TIGERS but when i found them last wk i bought 10 of them so i can grow them out to breeding size, they are about 3/4 grown
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:46 pm

KYANGELSNCORYS wrote:
cheers I looked for a very long time before i found any LDA 01 GOLD TIGERS but when i found them last wk i bought 10 of them so i can grow them out to breeding size, they are about 3/4 grown
Just looked them up, they do look nice, have the right diet (similar to Bristlenose) and do not grow to big.
Now the hunt for me will start as well to track them down.
Good luck with yours.
Thank you for that, it really helps.
Marty Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KYANGELSNCORYS
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 187
Age : 65
Location : FRANKLIN ,KENTUCKY
Job/hobbies : BASS/CRAPPIE FISHING-TROPICAL FISH
Humor : MY KIDS TELL ME IM OLDER THEN DIRT
Thank You Points : 7
Registration date : 2010-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:55 pm

cheers Thats why were here is to help each other that way we all gain knowledge and know how and we grow our hobby together
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose


Male Number of posts : 224
Age : 46
Location : Geislingen an der Steige, Germany
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:10 pm

KYANGELSNCORYS wrote:
cheers Thats why were here is to help each other that way we all gain knowledge and know how and we grow our hobby together
So true
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses   Today at 6:57 am

Back to top Go down
 
Compatible Plecs to Bristlenoses
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Which Mai HiME character are you most compatible with?
» Cory Catfish
» when do bristlenoses develop bristles?
» Anyone bred L134 Leopard frog plecs?
» super red plecs

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Bristlenose Talk-
Jump to: